Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Offsite Rental With a Cat

Short version: Does anyone have experience with a cat friendly offsite villa rental? I've found quite a few dog friendly possibilities but many seem to specify no cats. She's a well-behaved, quiet, experienced traveler.

Long version: We have an elderly cat in the first stage of renal failure. She did not do well away from us during our December trip even with twice daily visits from a pet sitter she knows and loves. She's has never done well with boarding so that is not an option. After a long talk with the vet, we've decided to avoid any travel where she cannot come with us for the (hopefully long) foreseeable future. As a result we spent the morning canceling a long planned multi-week overseas trip. So yes, my fur creature now truly is controlling my life.

The good news is this bleak situation is that another WDW trip appears to be the best replacement trip for us right now. The cat is a shockingly good road-tripper so we would like to pack her up and rent a condo or villa for 2-3 weeks this fall. I just don't know how to do this - I've never rented a vacation property and am a little frightened it will all go wrong. A pet friendly hotel isn't an option since she can't be boarded during the days while we visit the park. Neither of us has actually stayed offsite in a combined 12 trips but are OK with losing the resort guest perks.

I'd welcome any advice or suggestions.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

you can try www.vrbo.com - and ask the villa or house if a cat is okay.

I have gone with timeshares

both Westgate and Celebration world resort - do not have a problem with cats or dogs.

that say Westgate charges $80 cleaning fee - while CWR charges a $50 fee per pet. (generally have 2 cats)

you should be able to get both at tug2.net, redweek.com, myresortnetwork.com

that say you might be better off with one from vrbo - because you are renting for more than 7 days.

these are pretty close to WDW
http://www.vrbo.com/search/usa/flori...ets+considered

also make sure you are dealing with a pet friendly place - get it in writing - before you send them any money.

be aware that if you go with a house - and the owner changes (selling can happen at any time) the new owner may have a different policy - so make sure they know you are only renting from them because of your pet.

good luck

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
Gantu
Oh,,,,,blitznac!

Whata lucky kitty!

How about the Universal Studios hotels. I know they are pet friendly.

11/09 WL ~ 5/11 SSW POP ~ 8/12 Disneyland / DCA
5/31-6/9/13 AOA- YC - POR

Trip to come!!!! I really won a trip to Disney World!
Gantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Good advice. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of an ownership change after picking a place. I will definitely make sure to communicate that accepting the cat is a an absolute must.

I love the onsite Universal hotels and would love to stay there for the whole time. Unfortunately they don't allow the animals to stay in the room unaccompanied so we would be out of luck during the day since she can't handle being caged.

She is a lucky kitty. Spoiled rotten but she was a kitten mill rescue and is a very special girl.