Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

No good deed goes unpunished!

Last night I was able to grab the skinniest kitten in the stray group around here, bring him inside to eat and let him back out after he was done. I tried this again tonight and he flipped when I went to bring him inside and in the fight to leave gave me a few scratches. I've already washed with Dial, used hand sanitizer and went over the scratches with peroxide. He was the one I thought would want to be a house cat. Apparently not! I learned my lesson lol. He went trotting away and rolled around in the grass and played. I guess he really likes it outdoors.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
kandb
DIS Veteran

I am a health inspector and saw your thread. You should see a doctor if you were scratched by a stray cat. Your doctor will probably recommend rabies shots for you. Stray cats can carry rabies. You should not pick up stray animals, they are not vaccinated and are at risk for rabies. I am not trying to scare you, but you should see a doctor immediately.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
low-key
DIS Veteran

lol, i did the same thing 4 nights ago, and still have the scratches, I will go get rabbi shot when foam is coming from mouth
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb
I am a health inspector and saw your thread. You should see a doctor if you were scratched by a stray cat. Your doctor will probably recommend rabies shots for you. Stray cats can carry rabies. You should not pick up stray animals, they are not vaccinated and are at risk for rabies. I am not trying to scare you, but you should see a doctor immediately.
I read on a website that you only really have to worry if you're bit as its spread by saliva.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
I read on a website that you only really have to worry if you're bit as its spread by saliva.
You still may want to contact your Dr. You don't want to get cat scratch fever either.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
disneyfans95
DIS Veteran

Why bother.. They are feral and can do just fine without help ...

Actually better..
disneyfans95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf

You still may want to contact your Dr. You don't want to get cat scratch fever either.
I don't have medical insurance. I'd have to go to the ER. I'm also on antibiotics for a sinus infection so I think I'll be fine. It's just three tiny little marks.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

OP I don't think you really need to worry until you start having problems. lol I get scratches all the time and have never had any problems. Just sayin'. And I'm giggling that he wants to be outside, our boy always wants to be out as well but he's also perfectly happy to be in. He was a stray that we brought in at 4 weeks old, medicated him, fed him by hand (baby food from a syringe) and now he's a great cat.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
lol, i did the same thing 4 nights ago, and still have the scratches, I will go get rabbi shot when foam is coming from mouth
Too late once symptoms appear and it can be months before they appear. Rabies is 99.9% fatal. ( I think there has been one survivor in the US )

I don't know the risk from cat scratches, but it is certainly something I'd want to run by my physician.
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4luv2cdisney

Too late once symptoms appear and it can be months before they appear. Rabies is 99.9% fatal. ( I think there has been one survivor in the US )

I don't know the risk from cat scratches, but it is certainly something I'd want to run by my physician.
Rabies can only be transmitted in the final stages of the disease. If the cat doesn't get sick and die in the next 10 days then I'm fine. He looks as healthy as can be. I swear he skipped away from me in satisfaction lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

My daughter was scratched by a stray cat one year when we visited an upstate NY farm, and she had to get the series of rabies shots. The worry is that a cat may lick its paws and the rabies virus in its saliva would then be on its claws to infect the scratched person. Not to scare you, and I'm sure the odds are very small to contract rabies this way, but like the other poster said, once you have symptoms, it's too late, and fatal. Not a chance I was willing to take with my daughter. I would speak to my doctor if I were you, just to be safe.

(April 1976-Off Site) (April 1993-CB) (July 1998-ASMusic) (April 2006-ASMovies)
(March 2009-POR) (March 2010-POR) (Sept 2011-POR) (Aug 2012-POR) (Aug 2013-BC)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

A co-worker of mine got a staph infection after being scratched by one of her own indoor cats. Be careful to watch the scratches for signs of infection.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies
A co-worker of mine got a staph infection after being scratched by one of her own indoor cats. Be careful to watch the scratches for signs of infection.
I've gotten scratched by my solely indoor cat all the time over the last 12 years. I've always just cleaned them and put on peroxide a few times and have always been fine.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey

Rabies can only be transmitted in the final stages of the disease. If the cat doesn't get sick and die in the next 10 days then I'm fine. He looks as healthy as can be. I swear he skipped away from me in satisfaction lol.
You need to check your info about rabies.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
IheartMickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne

You need to check your info about rabies.
From the humane society website:

Rabies travels from the brain to the salivary glands during the final stage of the disease—this is when an animal can spread the disease, most commonly through a bite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: