Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Arrow Wyndham Bonnet Creek or rent DVC?

Hey everyone just looking for some opinions. My wife and I have stayed at bonnet creek for seven nights a 1 bedroom for the past three years. We think the resort is beautiful and love having a California king bed, whirlpool tub, washer/dryer, and full kitchen and high rise views. We always rent a car (which ends up costing nothing because we use credit card points.)

That being said, I am madly in love with Disney and feel like I might be missing out on something special. We use our car to drive to the resorts to hang out and have dinner (boardwalk, contemporary, polynesian, grand floridian).

I'm tempted to rent points from an owner at DVC and stay at a studio at boardwalk, beach club, or bay lake tower. I don't know if the extra cost would be worth it for saratoga springs or old key west because they are farther away from the parks than Bonnet Creek is (which is adjacent to carribean beach).

Bonnet Creek will cost us between $630-$700 for seven nights.

A DVC studio at $13 a point will cost us at minimum $1,400- so double the price for a smaller room.

$700 is a lot of money to us, but I don't want to miss out on a once in a life time opportunity to stay at a disney resort if it's that much more magical.
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Have you visited the DVC boards to look at the various resorts? Which one are you leaning towards?
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Leaning toward boardwalk or beach club. Love that area!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

I can't say whether or not the $700 will be worth it to you. Being in the Epcot area is pleasant. But, it will cost you and you have to drop down to a studio---really, a glorified hotel room. It all really depends on what you value and how much.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
danicaw
DIS Veteran

We are DVC members and LOVE it. This last fall we took a last minute trip and with all our points accounted for we decided to tried out Bonnet Creek.
The room was great - huge! and the grounds were lovely. We didn't have time to try out the pools or anything like that.
It has more of a timeshare vibe to us, than any of the DVC locations we have stayed at. Parking was a bit more of a pain.
The location is good, but no better than any DVCs.

We have stayed at OKW, SS, BLT, BCV, WLV on property
and Hitlon Head and GCV also.
(we own at OKW)

Hubby and I had a conversation on our trip about if we would like owning at Bonnet Creek... we have been toying with the idea of adding on to our DVC. We decided we prefer the DVC feeling.
Bonnet Creek is nice and we will consider it again, if a similar situation presents itself, but for us DVC is a more Disney experience

Good Luck

danicaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
BarryS
Earning My Ears

As Brian said, the downside to DVC is the added cost and the smaller room.

The upside would be the normal benefits of staying onsite at a Disney hotel (Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, Room Charge, ability to get Dining Plan, etc.). Another upside would be location - if you picked something like Beach Club where you can walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk from your room.

In the end, only you can decide if it's worth the extra money.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

One alternative would be a split stay -- a couple of days at a DVC resort, a few days at WBC. Just a thought...

The big downside of your plan is not so much the smaller square-footage unit, but the features of the unit you will be missing with a studio. No full kitchen -- you'll have a microwave, a coffeemaker and an undercounter mini-refrigerator in a studio. No washer & dryer. No whirlpool tub. Maybe a king bed (can't remember).

We've done many 4-5 day stays in DVC studios, and were perfectly satisfied...for short stays. I would not do >4 days on a bet! The smaller unit just closes in on you.

Another alternative might be an OKW 1 BR. The drive actually is not bad at all, and at OKW, you're going to be parking right outside your villa...not a mile away like you might be at BWV or BCV.

We've stayed in both and the OKW 1 BR is substantially larger than a WBC 1 BR (other DVC 1 BRs are about the same size). Noticeably larger, and better laid out. Huge jacuzzi tub, king bed, full sized washer & dryer (NOT stacked), mammoth kitchen/living room area...

And OKW's points costs (and your price) are somewhat lower than BWV/BCV (about 40% lower I believe).

Another alternative might be using the DIS DVC Rent/Trade Board instead of a broker. You must be logged into the DIS to see the board.

Read the "stickies," do your homework, and understand what you are doing. Prices there are <$13 per point.

Bottom line...look at ALL the options.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

first don't even consider blt - those studios are small. Now I love 'em but that is because MK is my favorite park - so being able to walk to it - is GREAT!!!!

since your choices are BW or BCV - then would suggest the food/wine festival in Oct/Nov - you should be able to get something reasonable now for that time period. go for standard view at BWV if you can get it - it should be cheaper than garden/pool or BW view. Otherwise would go for BCV.

another time to visit is during the flower/garden festival at Epcot during March thru May. now this festival is not necessary to be staying at WDW.

now if you don't want to do the food/wine - then might say kept staying offsite.
that time and Dec (love the Christmas stuff at disney) -are the main ones for me to stay on property.

have a low tolerance for liquor - so even one drink is too much for me to drive.

so unless staying onsite - don't even consider the food/wine.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

I have rented points a few times and you can probably get them for $11 a point. Studios are small but if you don't cook and it is just the two of you, you should be fine.

Consider a savanah view at akv. If you are going to spend that kind of money get more than an area that you could easily drive to in order to hang out.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

I would love to try a 1 bedroom at old key west but it would cost $2,418 for six nights at $13 per point. I'm getting bonnet creek for $514 for six nights- I just can't justify that kind of money when bonnet creek is already so nice.

Akl studio would be nice but I'd much much rather be at the boardwalk, bay lake etc.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

Staying on Disney prop IS nice and has it's advantages but Bonnet Creek room size and features are hard to beat. Check your PM
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote