Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you bring a tripod?
Every day 7 18.42%
Some Parks 19 50.00%
Never 12 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
This is my travel (aka Disney) tripod. I also have my heavier duty home tripod and the DSLR Zoom Gorillapod. I bring the travel and gorillapod to WDW. Because I fly to WDW, I need to be lightweight, but when I hang my bag on the tripod, it is rock steady. Because the travel tripod is on my bag, I don't even know its there (weight-wise) and closed its only 13.5 inches. It opens to about 55-56 inches. When the camera is on it, for me, the viewfinder is almost at eye level. This system works great for me.

IMGP0299 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP0300 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
I had seen these pictures when I did a search... I think of that tripod as an ET tripod. I see ET when I look at it. It looks very secure and useful though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I did the same as the one I have at home is pretty solid and heavy. Like you, I struggle to find the time to get out with my camera as often as I'd like to during the year and the bulk of my photos are taken indoors, usually portraits. THerefore, when I go to WDW I am more than happy to carry extra stuff around (or do pretty much anything for that matter ) if I think there is the slightest possibility that I may get more/different/better pictures.

If you do get another tripod specifically for your trip, make sure you test drive it with your camera and its heaviest lens first. Don't fall into the trap of getting the lightest one you can. If it's not stable and 'solid' you're playing roulette with your camera. Some camera bags are designed to carry a tripod and a comfortable bag is a huge must, tripod or not.

On a few occasions when we did the same park from rope drop to closing I just rented a locker and left my tripod in there. It's only $7 after the return of your deposit, so a nominal fee for convenience.
Thank you! I never thought of test driving a tripod before. That makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunative View Post
Always have your tripod! I feel lost without mine since most of my photography is HDR, sunsets, nights and fireworks. It also helps you put a lot of thought into what you're going to be taking a photo of.

Just picked up the Really Right Stuff TVC-33 and it's so much lighter than the Manfrotto I was using. Looking forward to trying it out in a couple of weeks at WDW.

If nothing else, try the GorillaPod SLR-Zoom. I took it to Universal and the Osborne Lights with great results.
Those are great shots! Thanks for sharing them. Did you set it on a garbage can and on the ground?
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: