Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #1426
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana278 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm currently planning my first trip in 15 years, so this Magical Express stuff is all new to me!

I'm clear on how all of the inbound stuff works, but the outbound makes me nervous. (With all of this talk of RAC and BAGS.) I'll be flying first class and since checked baggage is free I don't know how that would all work. Rather than deal with someone thinking I didn't pay my fees I think I'd rather just take my bags with me and check in at the airport as I usually would.

So my question...when you take your bags from bell services to the bus how complicated is it to store your luggage? Specifically how much work is it when you are dropped off at the airport? Are there a ton of bags to sort through before finding yours? I'm assuming most people do the RAC thing so hopefully mine will be the only ones there!

And just in general, how reliable is the inbound baggage transfer? Do they routinely lose bags? I've got a black cloud over my head so if anyone's bags will be lost, they'll be mine! I'm sure I can get away with only bringing one large bag but I'm planning on two so I can mix up my items in each of them. That way if one bag is lost at least I'll still have underwear in the second! LOL

Thanks so much!
You've already received some great info. Let me elaborate on the inbound luggage issue. We have seen a few, a very few, reports of luggage being misdirected. BUT...we aren't completely sure who is at fault here. It's most likely the fault of the airline though. So, if you don't get all your luggage in your room, it may be that the airline sent a bag to a different destination, and then the DME luggage people get it much later.
If a bag were to go to the wrong resort, by the DME workers, it's not hard to get it to the appropriate person/resort. It becomes evident quickly and it is then sent to it's proper spot.
But, we really don't see many bags either getting misdirected or even lost by DME. Yes, it can happen, it just doesn't happen often,
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #1427
peachplumpear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Okay, you said you got your luggage tags?? The yellow DME ones, that come in the packet with your vouchers?? If so, you're good to go. They don't need your exact arrival info...as long as you are listed on the reservation and you have made the DME reservation, you're good to go.
When you get to MCO, you can make sure they have the correct departure info. That's the really important info.They need that in order to correctly schedule your ride back to MCO on DME.
Thanks so much for your advice! I phoned the reservations line again and the CM told me they had my information in their system, it just didn't show on the online reservation review. I will probably double check the information's correct when we arrive at MCO, though. Thanks again!!
peachplumpear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #1428
dana278
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Having your bags loaded onto your DME coach and then dragging them to your airline's ticket counter (or to a skycap) is an option. Sadly, it's the only option for guests who are flying very early in the morning or not flying on a RAC-participating airline.

If you qualify for RAC, I would highly recommend that you use it. It's a remote skycap service at your resort. The RAC skycap issues your boarding pass and attaches luggage routing tags to your bags. The bags then go into TSA-approved, secure, locked cages which are sent to the airport by truck and turned over to your airline.

Yes, your airline could screw up and not load your bags onto the flight, but that can also happen if you check in at the airport with a skycap or at the ticket counter.

The RAC skycap knows who qualifies for free bags. It's not something you have to worry about. (Many passengers qualify for free bags due to class of service, frequent flyer elite status, or using the airline's credit card.) The RAC skycap also knows who has prepaid their bag fees. And the RAC skycap knows who still needs to pay. That's because the RAC agent sees the same computer record that someone at the airport would see.
Ahhh okay thanks for that last bit of info. After I made this post I did a bit more research and I did see that the agents also have access to the computers that the airport does. That makes me feel better. So I don't have to call BAGS first to get my bags cleared and marked as "paid" before I check in? I think that's where I was getting caught up. I figured I'd have to do that and the extra step kind of made me nervous.

Thanks again! I feel much better about the whole outbound procedure now. It definitely seems easier all around.
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #1429
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Let me apologize in advance because I'm sure this question has been asked and answered more than a few times. I did do a search, but man, the hits are endless and.... anyway, the question is about our day of departure.

We're lucky enough to be coming to DW next week, first time in a few years.
Last time we were there we flew Southwest and enjoyed the resort airline check-in very much, it was easy and seamless. This trip we're flying American Airlines, and since they charge for luggage I'm not clear about being able to use resort check in and paying for our (2) checked bags. I saw something on Deb's site that said there is a number to call, I can certainly do that. We will have a laptop, so can we check in on-line, pay for our baggage on the American flight and still use resort airline check in (at the Beach Club).
Would that be better than calling? or is there even an option?

I'm sure it's an easy process, just never done it before.
Again, I'm sorry about my confusion but certainly appreciate your advice and help.

Last edited by Dizzytime; 12-27-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: stupid spelling
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #1430
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzytime View Post
Let me apologize in advance because I'm sure this question has been asked and answered more than a few times. I did do a search, but man, the hits are endless and.... anyway, the question is about our day of departure.

We're lucky enough to be coming to DW next week, first time in a few years.
Last time we were there we flew Southwest and enjoyed the resort airline check-in very much, it was easy and seamless. This trip we're flying American Airlines, and since they charge for luggage I'm not clear about being able to use resort check in and paying for our (2) checked bags. I saw something on Deb's site that said there is a number to call, I can certainly do that. We will have a laptop, so can we check in on-line, pay for our baggage on the American flight and still use resort airline check in (at the Beach Club).
Would that be better than calling? or is there even an option?

I'm sure it's an easy process, just never done it before.
Again, I'm sorry about my confusion but certainly appreciate your advice and help.

No apologies needed!!! This can be a confusing subject....seems to change a lot. Anyway....I know that I have called the number for BAGS prior to departure. I have paid for baggage fees on the phone and they gave me a confirmation number that I wrote down right on my DME departure notice. This number was actually in that notice.
BUT....I have heard that you can actually pay your baggage fees right at the RAC counter. Perhaps someone here has more actual experience with this??
Or, you could just head over to the RAC counter, prior to your checkout day, and ask them what the proper procedure is..but remember, they are open only between 5am-1pm.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #1431
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
No apologies needed!!! This can be a confusing subject....seems to change a lot. Anyway....I know that I have called the number for BAGS prior to departure. I have paid for baggage fees on the phone and they gave me a confirmation number that I wrote down right on my DME departure notice. This number was actually in that notice.
BUT....I have heard that you can actually pay your baggage fees right at the RAC counter. Perhaps someone here has more actual experience with this??
Or, you could just head over to the RAC counter, prior to your checkout day, and ask them what the proper procedure is..but remember, they are open only between 5am-1pm.
Thanks for your reply,goofy4tink, that's all very helpful information. I will be there long enough to have plenty of time to check with the RAC counter at the BC, and I'm sure it will all work out just fine.
Really, just feel very fortunate to have things like ME and RAC now, it really is a difference maker when we consider on-site vs other options.

Can't wait to be back!!
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #1432
lindylou2_2002
Mouseketeer

Hi I have tried to search for the correct answer before posting but I guess being english i may be wording it wrong.

We are staying at the Wilderness lodge or the last part of our holiday so can make use of the Bus back to MCO But As we are transatlantic we have to take our baggage with us.

Do you know what sort of time you are collected from Hotels or is it dependant on flight times? ours is 17.50 and is there any facilities to store bags so we can enjoy our day before we travel home. Or do we have to sit around the pool with all our luggage?

We have never stayed on property before and normally do a Villa or something. But we are going on the Disney Dream right before the stay at the wilderness lodge so we are going to give back the car right before we go on the cruise.

Any help or advice would be great
lindylou2_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #1433
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou2_2002 View Post
Do you know what sort of time you are collected from Hotels or is it dependant on flight times? ours is 17.50 and is there any facilities to store bags so we can enjoy our day before we travel home. Or do we have to sit around the pool with all our luggage?
For international flights, the DME pickup will be scheduled 4 hours prior to your scheduled flight departure, plus or minus up to 15 minutes. (For domestic flights, it's 3 hours, plus or minus up to 15 minutes.)

You can leave your bags (bags you plan to check, as well as carry-ons) with bell services. They'll bring them out to the DME pickup location for you when you go to retrieve them. Be sure to allow enough time because the bell services CMs might be busy with other guests. A tip is customary when they return your bags to you.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #1434
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

Alot to read here,

We are flying Spirit airlines. Do the bag tags apply? Or do we need to pick our luggage up at the airport?
TheDalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #1435
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDalys View Post
Alot to read here,

We are flying Spirit airlines. Do the bag tags apply? Or do we need to pick our luggage up at the airport?
It doesn't matter what airline you're flying on with regard to arriving - anyone who is flying into MCO and is staying at a Disney resort can use Magical Express, including having luggage delivered to their hotel. (The exception would be if you're arriving at 10:00 pm or later, because that's when luggage pick-up ends for the day. If you're arriving at 10:00 or later, you will have to collect your own luggage.)

Where the difference is is when you are ready to go back to the airport. That's where the participating airline issue comes in, because only guests who are flying on participating airlines can take advantage of RAC, which is Resort Airline Check-in. RAC allows you to check in for your flight at your resort, including checking your luggage and having it taken to the airport for you. Unfortunately for you, Spirit Airlines is not a participating airline, which means that while you will be able to take DME back to the airport, you'll have to take your luggage with you and check it in when you get to the airport.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #1436
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

Ok,, thank you very much.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #1437
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

How long does the baggage take to reach the resort (saratoga springs)?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1438
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDalys View Post
How long does the baggage take to reach the resort (saratoga springs)?
The real question is, how long does it take for the baggage to reach the room? For example, your bags could arrive at your resort an hour after you do, but it could then take another hour or two before a bell services CM can get them to your room. (The bell staff also has to deal with arriving guests, departing guests, and other DME bags.)

It makes sense that it takes the bags longer to get to the room than it does for the guest. The bags must first be unloaded by the airline and turned over to DME. Then the bags must be sorted at the airport to be sent via truck to the right resort, where the bags are then queued up for delivery to the room.

Officially, "it may take up to four hours after you check-in to your Disney Resort hotel." That doesn't mean it will actually take that long. That should be the worst case, unless your airline delays your bags.

When I've been in the room, my bags at have arrived just an hour after I checked in. Usually, I haven't been in the room, so I have no idea how long it took for the bags to arrive. The good thing about DME is that bell services will leave your bags in your room even if you're not in it; that's because they're pre-tipped by Disney when guests use DME as designed.

Be sure to bring a carry-on with anything you'll need the first day (or even the first 24 hours).
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #1439
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

ME understood - thank you!

We are flying with Delta (do I score a point for knowing they are a participating airline? ) but we are flying to Edmonton via a connection in Minneapolis so would we still be classed as international with regards to RAC or would we be able to check in at the resort?

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #1440
keypooh90
Lovatic

Okay so I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not patient enough to sift through these answers.

My flight lands at 4:55 p.m. About how long should I expect it to take before I arrive at Pop Century via Magical Express?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: