Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Everyone has their price point. You just have to determine what yours is. I personally can't imagine paying the prices they want for a suite at AoA, but for us it's a place to sleep. We don't spend much time in the room - we are there for the parks.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

If you don't end up staying there, definitely go over to see it if you have time. AoA is very close to DHS so hopefully you could stop off and check it out!!
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBiteyear View Post
I can understand it a bit if you have a family of 5 or 6, especially if it's a single parent family or only one adult will be braving a trip with young children. But can someone explain why the Art of Animation suites are quite a bit more than 2 standard rooms. Kitchenette would be nice, but the extra you pay for that vs. 2 rooms doesn't make much sense $-wise either. Seems like adjoining rooms would accomplish pretty much the same thing.

Basically, here's the gist, I'm a CPA and I'm trying to justify going with a family suite in the CARS themed rooms. It's 4 of us plus DMIL and DFIL. I know the six of us could fit, but I'm thinking that's too much family fun with the inlaws for a week, plus not sure how the back might hold up sleeping on a bed that is also a kitchen table.
No matter how close your family is, there is nothing like being able to close a door in between two rooms for sleeping at night and getting up in the morning. We went with my son and his family (daughter-in-law, 13 year old granddaughter, five year old grandson). We had connecting rooms at Pop Century and it was so nice to close that door and each have our private time. In the morning, each of us would open up the connecting door (since there's one on their side and one on ours) as a sign we were ready for the day. The grandkids would come over to our side while the parents got ready and vice versa.

There would be no way in hell all six of us could be in a suite. They stay up much later than us (like to 2 AM) and we have sports on the TV all the time whereas they want cartoons 24/7. And this comes from a very close family - we needed two rooms definitely.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

I'm a bean counter too so I'll offer up my 2 cents. We are a family of 6 - me, my husband, Grammy and 5 year old triplets. When we travel, the kids usually won't sleep in a bed by themselves or share a bed with each other so one shares a bed with Grammy. We have had to deal with 2 non-connecting rooms (non-Disney) and it's a PITA.

We wanted to stay in a Value this last trip to save $ and AoA suites appealed to us for several reasons, including no fear of non-connecting rooms and it is brand new. I did not see any deals on LM rooms when we traveled at the beginning of December. There were discounts on the suites and we ended up booking thru AAA, which gave us more of a discount than the Disney reservation system was quoting me.

So I guess it depends on the specific needs of your family and what discounts you are able to obtain.

Read my trip reports!

SarahJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #20
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you are truly a bean counter, the Family Suites at the All Star Music are quite a bit cheaper than the AoA suites. You won't get the same character driven theming, but they are very nice.

I do think thought that for you, 2 rooms would be much better. A little space of your own is not a bad thing! Tell your wife the trip won't be very pleasant if she has to keep you from going crazy all of the time either. I don't blame you one bit for wanting a separate room.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

we stay in suites and theres only 4 of us but our sleep is VERY important to us and we would all be tired and miserable if we had to share beds - double or queen beds at that. for me to share, i would need a king. i guess we could always get a king room and then cots for the kids........but we like having the separate sleeping areas, esp. since YDD gets up super early (5ish) and with the suite i keep her quiet for an hour or so so DH and DS can sleep a little more.

i do agree its totally overpriced. we could stay at AKL for less.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
we stay in suites and theres only 4 of us but our sleep is VERY important to us and we would all be tired and miserable if we had to share beds - double or queen beds at that. for me to share, i would need a king. i guess we could always get a king room and then cots for the kids........but we like having the separate sleeping areas, esp. since YDD gets up super early (5ish) and with the suite i keep her quiet for an hour or so so DH and DS can sleep a little more.

i do agree its totally overpriced. we could stay at AKL for less.
As an FYI Disney won't allow cots in a king bed room. They only allow 2 people plus one infant. Not sure if you were just thinking out loud, but wanted you to know that.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
As an FYI Disney won't allow cots in a king bed room. They only allow 2 people plus one infant. Not sure if you were just thinking out loud, but wanted you to know that.
well then, there you go. A suite it is, then.

AKL says they have a King with bunk beds, is that right? That would work for me. In the future, when the kids are a little older I think it will be more bearable to share a room instead of havnig to get a separate bedroom.
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - CSR?*

Last edited by TJDisneymama; 01-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
well then, there you go. A suite it is, then.

AKL says they have a King with bunk beds, is that right? That would work for me. In the future, when the kids are a little older I think it will be more bearable to share a room instead of havnig to get a separate bedroom.
From what I can find the bunk bed rooms have queen sized beds in them, not king. Sorry!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
amym2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariep26 View Post
If you don't end up staying there, definitely go over to see it if you have time. AoA is very close to DHS so hopefully you could stop off and check it out!!
Exactly what I was thinking. You can visit the resort and see all of the Cars characters without staying there (can't use the really cute Cozy Cone pool, though). Get two rooms somewhere else and just visit AoA.

For us, even though we're a family of 4, separate sleeping arrangements are important. We joined the DVC for just this reason, but if we hadn't, AoA would have worked for us. We stayed at WL in a bunkbed room and at least the kids had their own beds, but they were right next to me, so I didn't sleep well. Sometimes the price of sleep is worth the extra money. But with in-laws, you're better off with two separate rooms IMO.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: