Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you bring a tripod?
Every day 7 18.42%
Some Parks 19 50.00%
Never 12 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised nobody has brought up bringing a monopod. I actually got far more use out of my monopod than my tripod. The funny thing is that I didn't use if for my camera much, but used it with my GoPro quite often. We almost always had the GoPro attached to a stroller for walk around shots, and would attach it to my monopod when we went on rides. The videos I got on Big Thunder Mountain were worth it alone.

Luckily we had a stroller for my nieces and I usually put both in the storage area which was convenient, but I still didn't use it much, because the trip was about them and the temps were in the high 90s most days. For our trip this summer I plan on spending some more time shooting for myself and expect to using it more.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #17
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtree View Post
In the day I would leave at the room. When you going back to the park at night most likely for some night time photography then it is a must. Second trip to a park in the day I would have my tripod with me.

-Dan
Yes! This is what I did, that way I could get firework photos. I didn't bring mine to Epcot, & during the fireworks I wished I had!! But I did get great pictures at the Magic Kingdom.
kgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
I'm surprised nobody has brought up bringing a monopod. I actually got far more use out of my monopod than my tripod. The funny thing is that I didn't use if for my camera much, but used it with my GoPro quite often. We almost always had the GoPro attached to a stroller for walk around shots, and would attach it to my monopod when we went on rides. The videos I got on Big Thunder Mountain were worth it alone.

Luckily we had a stroller for my nieces and I usually put both in the storage area which was convenient, but I still didn't use it much, because the trip was about them and the temps were in the high 90s most days. For our trip this summer I plan on spending some more time shooting for myself and expect to using it more.

My travel tripod converts to a monopod, and the reason I didn't bring it up was I never found a use for it using still photography while at WDW. As you state, if you use video (DSLR, GoPro, etc.), it would be useful.

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 01-03-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:

A monopod is still susceptible to shake or blur. If you want a stable platform, you want a tripod.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem

A monopod is still susceptible to shake or blur. If you want a stable platform, you want a tripod.
Completely agree, especially at night, but a monopod can still be a decent compromise and easier to use if your with your family. For photos tripods are the way to go, but if you are shooting much video a monopod is nice.

On our last trip a tripod just wasn't very practical. Maybe it was just the fact that we went in June (hi 90s) with crowded parks and on my brothers family schedule, but the tripod was too much of a hassle. My next trip, I plan on blocking out some time for myself and hope to use my tripod much more.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. Still thinking about it all and haven't decided whatsoever what to do! But you all gave me something extra to consider.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

You mean you don't have "Disney tripod"?

I bought one smaller and lighter than I would have normallly purchased just so I could take it to Disney. Of course, I rarely get time to focus on my photography outside of Disney, so it was fine. It has a nice carrying bag so my husband and daughter can swap off carrying it. Of course, I almost had to fire my daugter from tripod duty when she left it on the bus last year. But I got it back, so she got a reprieve.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

I bought one smaller and lighter than I would have normallly purchased just so I could take it to Disney. Of course, I rarely get time to focus on my photography outside of Disney, so it was fine. It has a nice carrying bag so my husband and daughter can swap off carrying it. Of course, I almost had to fire my daugter from tripod duty when she left it on the bus last year. But I got it back, so she got a reprieve.
Ooooh! Disney tripod! I like that!!! I need that one. Does it have hidden Mickeys? I would buy one like that for sure! I think I'll go hunting for a cheaper, smaller tripod. And possibly a new camera bag that can hold one!

Any of you ever use a gorillapod? The DSLR zoom kind? That would be helpful if I wanted to use garbage cans etc, but wanted to have it a little higher.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
Ooooh! Disney tripod! I like that!!! I need that one. Does it have hidden Mickeys? I would buy one like that for sure! I think I'll go hunting for a cheaper, smaller tripod. And possibly a new camera bag that can hold one!

Any of you ever use a gorillapod? The DSLR zoom kind? That would be helpful if I wanted to use garbage cans etc, but wanted to have it a little higher.
Our hidden Mickeys must be really well hidden. Cuz I haven't seen them.

I've never had a desire to use a gorilla pod. I was looking for the tallest one I could find to shoot Wishes over all those heads in the crowd at Disney.

I blew it this year though. I staked out my spot, fought people off for 2 hours....... then realized I had left my tripod bracket in the room. Oops. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

As long as you have room, I would definitely bring one to WDW, and then decide which days you want to bring it into the parks. Like you stated earlier, a smaller travel tripod might be a nice option, just make sure it has one of those hooks you can weight it down with. It also looks like you have become a disney vet, so everything isn't as new and intimidating. Also, it's not to warm in March which helps.

When we visited in June 2011, it was my first trip in over 20 years, 2 kids 4 and 21/2 first trip and humid with temps in the high 90s every day. Add in the large crowds and opening the park every morning (not a morning person, I didn't have the time I wanted to shoot photos with my tripod.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #26
traylorc
DIS Veteran

At the end of the day, I would personally rather bring my tripod and elect not to use it versus not bringing it and desperately wishing I had.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #27
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylorc View Post
At the end of the day, I would personally rather bring my tripod and elect not to use it versus not bringing it and desperately wishing I had.

Back when we used to bring a stroller into the parks I would keep my old tripod in a bag hanging over the handle of the stroller. Since it was my old one, I never carried it onto rides or into buildings with me. I knew I was taking a chance on it being stolen, but was fine with the risk.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As long as you have room, I would definitely bring one to WDW, and then decide which days you want to bring it into the parks. Like you stated earlier, a smaller travel tripod might be a nice option, just make sure it has one of those hooks you can weight it down with. It also looks like you have become a disney vet, so everything isn't as new and intimidating. Also, it's not to warm in March which helps.

When we visited in June 2011, it was my first trip in over 20 years, 2 kids 4 and 21/2 first trip and humid with temps in the high 90s every day. Add in the large crowds and opening the park every morning (not a morning person, I didn't have the time I wanted to shoot photos with my tripod.

This is my travel (aka Disney) tripod. I also have my heavier duty home tripod and the DSLR Zoom Gorillapod. I bring the travel and gorillapod to WDW. Because I fly to WDW, I need to be lightweight, but when I hang my bag on the tripod, it is rock steady. Because the travel tripod is on my bag, I don't even know its there (weight-wise) and closed its only 13.5 inches. It opens to about 55-56 inches. When the camera is on it, for me, the viewfinder is almost at eye level. This system works great for me.

IMGP0299 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP0300 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

I did the same as the one I have at home is pretty solid and heavy. Like you, I struggle to find the time to get out with my camera as often as I'd like to during the year and the bulk of my photos are taken indoors, usually portraits. THerefore, when I go to WDW I am more than happy to carry extra stuff around (or do pretty much anything for that matter ) if I think there is the slightest possibility that I may get more/different/better pictures.

If you do get another tripod specifically for your trip, make sure you test drive it with your camera and its heaviest lens first. Don't fall into the trap of getting the lightest one you can. If it's not stable and 'solid' you're playing roulette with your camera. Some camera bags are designed to carry a tripod and a comfortable bag is a huge must, tripod or not.

On a few occasions when we did the same park from rope drop to closing I just rented a locker and left my tripod in there. It's only $7 after the return of your deposit, so a nominal fee for convenience.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
rdunative
DIS Veteran

Always have your tripod! I feel lost without mine since most of my photography is HDR, sunsets, nights and fireworks. It also helps you put a lot of thought into what you're going to be taking a photo of.

Just picked up the Really Right Stuff TVC-33 and it's so much lighter than the Manfrotto I was using. Looking forward to trying it out in a couple of weeks at WDW.

If nothing else, try the GorillaPod SLR-Zoom. I took it to Universal and the Osborne Lights with great results.

Last edited by rdunative; 01-05-2013 at 05:17 PM.
rdunative is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: