Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Starting to Worry About My Husband

DH has had a lower back ache for the past few days, with it steadily getting worse. Last night we had to attend a visitation at a funeral home in town, and it was difficult for him to even walk inside. I was cold so was walking fast and turned to him and jokingly said, "hey, catch up!" and he said he couldn't, it hurt too much to try and walk fast.

After we got home he put a heating pad on his lower back and thought it helped. But. He feels worse this morning and feels like the pain is "gravitating toward his stomach."

Of course he won't call the doctor, he's a man, he's stubborn.

He's attending the funeral this morning, and took a hot, soaking bath before he got dressed. He said he just felt awful. Even kind of clammy and sweaty so he took his temperature, but it was actually below normal.

I worry that it could be serious. Kidney stone? Gall stone? I just don't know. I feel bad for him but don't know how I can help, since he won't call the doctor.

I had gall stones (gall bladder removed in '77) so I know what that pain feels like, never had a kidney stone so could that be it?

'Course now it's the weekend and the doctor's office is closed. But if he isn't better by Monday I'll call myself.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Is he passing urine? If not, then it definitely could be a kidney stone. If it is, the pain will get so bad, he'll want you to take him to the ER. My "never go to the doctor" Dad had them when I was little and he went to the doctor. I had them a few years ago and dang, the pain was horrible, right up there with labor.

Just adding I agree with the others if the pain is that bad get him to the ER right away.

Last edited by palmtreegirl; 01-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post
DH has had a lower back ache for the past few days, with it steadily getting worse. Last night we had to attend a visitation at a funeral home in town, and it was difficult for him to even walk inside. I was cold so was walking fast and turned to him and jokingly said, "hey, catch up!" and he said he couldn't, it hurt too much to try and walk fast.

After we got home he put a heating pad on his lower back and thought it helped. But. He feels worse this morning and feels like the pain is "gravitating toward his stomach."

He's attending the funeral this morning, and took a hot, soaking bath before he got dressed. He said he just felt awful. Even kind of clammy and sweaty so he took his temperature, but it was actually below normal.

I worry that it could be serious. Kidney stone? Gall stone? I just don't know. I feel bad for him but don't know how I can help, since he won't call the doctor.

I had gall stones (gall bladder removed in '77) so I know what that pain feels like, never had a kidney stone so could that be it?

'Course now it's the weekend and the doctor's office is closed. But if he isn't better by Monday I'll call myself.
If he feels "just awful", I'd get him to urgent care or ER.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
abdmom
DIS Veteran

It could be just about anything, including a heart attack. I'd get him to the ER. Better safe than sorry.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

My dh had a heart attack and then a triple bypass. I am playing caregiver now.

His symptoms were not even typical. He had the heart attack a week before he finally got diagnosed.

Here is my 2cents since my dh's "misdiagnosis" at the Urgent Care, get a blood test for the enzyme or an EKG to make sure it is NOT a heart attack.

We thought it was the stomach flu. I mean his white count was up, he was dehydrated from barfing 30 times, his back/chest hurt (we blamed that on the barfing because he does get heartburn), he did have faint numbness a few days before in his arm. The doc gave him 3 bags of fluids at the Urgent Care. I cannot believe we did not even think heart attack.

Looking back though, hindsight right, his was whiteish and cold and clammy. When he said he could not do X task without getting short of breath I told him to go to the ER because THAT is NOT a "stomach flu" symptom.

Hopefully it is nothing. Good Luck!
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

if he can hardly walk from the pain that isn't good. I'd really try to get him to have it checked out. I had something similar like that many years ago and ended up being a sciatic nerve that was pinched. But as said it could be anything.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

TO THE ER NOW! Back pain can be a myriad of things, with some of the major ones being VERY critical, especially if he is older. GO NOW
lsyorke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
abbadackerygirl
Earning My Ears

Cold and clammy is never good. Back pain and cold & sweaty are both signs of a heart attack.

Tell him how important to you it is for him to go to the doctor, and tell him it could be serious. Especially with a lower temp. Lower temp can be caused by low blood pressure. He could have so many other things, kidney stones, perforated intestine, but you can't diagnose him, and neither can he. GET HIM TO THE ER! I'd call an ambulance RIGHT NOW, and have the EMTs check his vitals. If he wont listen to you, he might listen to them.... Good luck.

My mother's been ER nurse for 22 years, and I am a Veterinary Technician. Trust me, he needs a doc.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
abbadackerygirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
My dh had a heart attack and then a triple bypass. I am playing caregiver now.

His symptoms were not even typical. He had the heart attack a week before he finally got diagnosed.

Here is my 2cents since my dh's "misdiagnosis" at the Urgent Care, get a blood test for the enzyme or an EKG to make sure it is NOT a heart attack.

We thought it was the stomach flu. I mean his white count was up, he was dehydrated from barfing 30 times, his back/chest hurt (we blamed that on the barfing because he does get heartburn), he did have faint numbness a few days before in his arm. The doc gave him 3 bags of fluids at the Urgent Care. I cannot believe we did not even think heart attack.

Looking back though, hindsight right, his was whiteish and cold and clammy. When he said he could not do X task without getting short of breath I told him to go to the ER because THAT is NOT a "stomach flu" symptom.

Hopefully it is nothing. Good Luck!
My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

Yes definitely go to the ER/Urgent Care....it could be quite a few things.

Keep us posted.

In our prayers and thoughts.
MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post

I agree with the others, get him to the ER to get checked out.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Ifyou have not left for an ER or urgent care yet, please do ASAP.

I'll keep you and your husband n my thoughts, and please, when you have time, let us all know how he is doing.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

MIGma, I share yours and everyones concern . Yes, our dear soul mates can be so stubborn and brush symptoms off. If he is in that much pain, he will probably feel worst upon returning from funeral . Better safe than sorry, sometimes we have to take matters in our own hands concerning loved ones health/illness.

Not to scare you, but I've been there sweetie, better safe than sorry ...gave my DH choice of calling an ambulance or I'd drive him to UC - of course he refused to hear of ambulance, so I drove him to UC, who quickly assessed him, hooked him to IV. They immediately called ambulance for ER and praise God they saved his life! Lord forbid, if we're ever in that situation again, we both know it's ER period! Hugs and prayers, good luck, and pls keep us updated.
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
gottalovethat
Earning My Ears

I don't have any advice on what may be causing his discomfort but I will have you and your DH in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping everything works out okay.
gottalovethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I am so sorry your husband isn't feeling well. I will echo what the others have said - I truly think you should get him to the ER if possible. It really could be anything, from a simple backache to something far more serious.
This is no time to take chances.

I feel for you. I have to drag my husband to the doctor, too.

I'll keep you and him in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us when you know more.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: