Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #391
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

I love DHS and look forward to the rest of your day. Never done H&V.. By the time they added the characters, my kids were past those shows. I still love Little Einsteins but that's the only one I'm familiar with.
catherines_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #392
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

Now I know not to eat at H&v next time we're at Disney. We were iffy about it last time and ended up canceling to go to CP again. The only place we had a problem checking in when we were there last year (although the girls checking us in at Chef Mickey's wasn't very friendly and actually rude to us because we arrived 20 min early) was the Plaza at MK. We checked in 5 minutes before our reservation and it took them 20 minutes to attempt to seat us. Others came after us, some with no reservations, and they were seated before us. They weren't even busy because it was right after Labor Day. Crowds were non existent. Anyway.. 15 minutes after our reservation was supposed to be they came over to seat us. For those who have never been in the Plaza, it's pretty small. The seating along the wall is a large bench with tables very close together and chairs on the other side. They were arranged in a way that they were getting the most amount of people in there, with the least comfort for their guests. Well the table we were given was one with a bench and a large table of people next to us. The person on the outside was very large and was seated in the middle of the bench so if either myself or bf were seated she would basically have joined our table as we would have been very close if not touching. We asked for another table since the restaurant was only half full and there were plenty of tables in the middle of the room. The (very rude) hostess told us that if we wanted another table that they would have to put us back on the waiting list to be seated. We ended up canceling the reservations because we weren't waiting even longer for a table when we already waited 20 minutes to be seated. The hostess put the menu up to speak with the young man she was working with and was whispering about us behind the menu. Umm hello! That is not Disney at all and that doesn't fly with me. So we went up to complain at guest services. There weren't reservations available at any other restaurants so we ended up eating at Pecos Bill that night. I imagine we lucked out because I am obsessed with their taco salad and fixins bar.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #393
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luvin the update. I know a little boy that would love to go to that character meal
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #394
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
We had breakfast at Hollywood and Vine once. It was a similar experience and I wouldn't do it again.
UGH - sorry you didn't have the best time at H&V either. At least we can say we've tried it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
AAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!! How exciting!!!!! I am soo soooo excited for you guys! That's awesome! I cannot wait to hear about that!
Thank you!!! I'm excited but a little nervous too. I tend to get anxious booking vacations so far away. I worry about something happening and having to cancel or modify the trip. I also hope his kindergarten teacher won't be too mad at us for taking him out for a week.

Quote:
I have good news too! I am 95% sure we'll be back at WDW this summer. Bryan chose the dates AND the resort. Wait until you hear where we're staying.
Woo Hoo!!!

I can't wait to hear all the details!! Will you be doing a PTR?

Quote:
And, I'm totally with you guys on Oso. I can't stand that bear. The other day we were getting ready to leave and I told Maddie to turn off the TV. She said "hang on mommy-Oso is helping this kid learn how to go to the bathroom". To which I replied "Why on earth are even watching that show?" She said she has "no idea".

So yeah I hate Oso too. He's an idiot.
So glad to know there are others who share my hatred for that bear.

Reid rarely watches him anymore. Of course, he barely watches any Disney Junior anymore. He will sometimes watch Jake, Octonauts & Doc McStuffins. But, he mainly watches superhero cartoons on Disney XD. The boy is nuts about superheroes. Honestly though, I rather the superhero cartoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherines_mama View Post
I love DHS and look forward to the rest of your day. Never done H&V.. By the time they added the characters, my kids were past those shows. I still love Little Einsteins but that's the only one I'm familiar with.
Thanks! I would definitely say you're not missing much by never having gone to H&V. The food wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be but it wasn't worth the hassle we experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear425 View Post
Now I know not to eat at H&v next time we're at Disney. We were iffy about it last time and ended up canceling to go to CP again. The only place we had a problem checking in when we were there last year (although the girls checking us in at Chef Mickey's wasn't very friendly and actually rude to us because we arrived 20 min early) was the Plaza at MK. We checked in 5 minutes before our reservation and it took them 20 minutes to attempt to seat us. Others came after us, some with no reservations, and they were seated before us. They weren't even busy because it was right after Labor Day. Crowds were non existent. Anyway.. 15 minutes after our reservation was supposed to be they came over to seat us. For those who have never been in the Plaza, it's pretty small. The seating along the wall is a large bench with tables very close together and chairs on the other side. They were arranged in a way that they were getting the most amount of people in there, with the least comfort for their guests. Well the table we were given was one with a bench and a large table of people next to us. The person on the outside was very large and was seated in the middle of the bench so if either myself or bf were seated she would basically have joined our table as we would have been very close if not touching. We asked for another table since the restaurant was only half full and there were plenty of tables in the middle of the room. The (very rude) hostess told us that if we wanted another table that they would have to put us back on the waiting list to be seated. We ended up canceling the reservations because we weren't waiting even longer for a table when we already waited 20 minutes to be seated. The hostess put the menu up to speak with the young man she was working with and was whispering about us behind the menu. Umm hello! That is not Disney at all and that doesn't fly with me. So we went up to complain at guest services. There weren't reservations available at any other restaurants so we ended up eating at Pecos Bill that night. I imagine we lucked out because I am obsessed with their taco salad and fixins bar.
OMG! How frustrating! We have eaten at the Plaza before and I can only imagine how close y'all would have been to that other family. We enjoyed our meal there but I hesitate to make another ADR there because of how small the place is inside. I remember not being seated until 45 minutes after our ADR time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin the update. I know a little boy that would love to go to that character meal
Thank you!!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #395
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Cute pics of Reid....and Ed, too I'm in agreement with you about returning. While we are so very glad we tried the character meal, it's not a must-do. Plus, my kids are getting a little too old for Handy Manny. Jake wasn't there when we went; he's a nice addition though. And like you said, the buffet is just a buffet. At least Reid enjoyed it...that's what it's all about, right ....we'll do anything for our kids!

CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 2- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #396
pas130
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the check in mixup Amanda. As one of the peeps who recommended h&v..I'm sorry. Reid is cute as ever...we are growing out of Disney junior as well..but luckily they love movies and the other cartoons

Love your cr reservation!!!!

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #397
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Hi Amanda! Sorry for another long absence - sickness, moving, holidays. Well, you know!

Really enjoyed reading about your ‘Ohana breakfast. I am not a huge fan of breakfast, but I am more and more tempted to do this one given recent reviews. Hmmmmmmm

MK looks so fun! I love the PP photos of Reid with the sword in the stone.

Poor Pooh - Tigger always does steal the show! Those were some great shots though. That’s funny that y’all haven’t met the Pooh characters before. Have you ever tried their secluded meet-and-greet area at AK? Our experience was no line at all, and I have read similar reports from others. It isn’t a very obvious meet-and-greet spot, so I think it get overlooked.

I have been worried about that Dumbo play area since I first heard about it! It looks so fun that I am sure it must be virtually impossible to get the kids to move on. Ugh! I am going to have to learn more patience and somehow develop a more relaxed approach to my Disney days!

So glad Reid loved my favorite ride (BTMRR)!!!

They have a BBQ platter at Pecos Bill now???? Going to have to look into that.

It looks like Reid was having a lot of fun at H&V. I’m still not sold on that one though. I don’t think Willow would actually be interested in any of the characters there other than Jake; there are so many other more character meals with her favorite characters. I wish DHS had a Toy Story character meal!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #398
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I think your pictures of Reid during breakfast are so cute I can see that maybe the characters there may not hold appeal long term though. I have never been there..and probably never will just because the characters do not appeal to us..and the food never sounds to be something people rave about (unlike the puffed french toast at CP)
annmarieda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #399
MEK
DIS Veteran

So, it only took me a couple days to come back and see pics. I hate that I can't see them at work (not that I should be on the DIS, but you know........)

I love all the pictures of Reid. So cute. I especially love him coming through the gate at HS. Such a great moment - the start of the day.

That character meal looks fun!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #400
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Cute pics of Reid....and Ed, too I'm in agreement with you about returning. While we are so very glad we tried the character meal, it's not a must-do. Plus, my kids are getting a little too old for Handy Manny. Jake wasn't there when we went; he's a nice addition though. And like you said, the buffet is just a buffet. At least Reid enjoyed it...that's what it's all about, right ....we'll do anything for our kids!
Thanks!

Oh we'll do all sorts of things for these little people, right?!? I am glad we tried H&V. The setting was fun for Reid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Sorry for the check in mixup Amanda. As one of the peeps who recommended h&v..I'm sorry. Reid is cute as ever...we are growing out of Disney junior as well..but luckily they love movies and the other cartoons
No need to be sorry! If the check-in would have gone a bit smoother, I probably would feel somewhat different about H&V. It's just one of those things that leave you with a bad feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Love your cr reservation!!!!
Thank you!! I'm super excited about our "surprise" December trip - especially since Ed told me to book CR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hi Amanda! Sorry for another long absence - sickness, moving, holidays. Well, you know!
Hi! I'm glad to see you back on here. Now don't be gone for so long again!

Quote:
Really enjoyed reading about your ‘Ohana breakfast. I am not a huge fan of breakfast, but I am more and more tempted to do this one given recent reviews. Hmmmmmmm
I would give it a try. The nice thing about it is that it is served family style. No getting up and down to get food for you and your child. You can just sit, relax and eat. I thought the food was pretty good, too. And I think Willow would probably enjoy the little parade they do around the restaurant.

Quote:
MK looks so fun! I love the PP photos of Reid with the sword in the stone.
We really had a lot of fun on our first full MK day! Thanks - I was excited to see a PP photographer there.

Quote:
Poor Pooh - Tigger always does steal the show! Those were some great shots though. That’s funny that y’all haven’t met the Pooh characters before. Have you ever tried their secluded meet-and-greet area at AK? Our experience was no line at all, and I have read similar reports from others. It isn’t a very obvious meet-and-greet spot, so I think it get overlooked.
This was our 1st time meeting them anywhere. Reid has just never been crazy about them. But, for whatever reason he does love Tigger. Oh, actually I know why - because "he bounces high, Mommy!"

Quote:
I have been worried about that Dumbo play area since I first heard about it! It looks so fun that I am sure it must be virtually impossible to get the kids to move on. Ugh! I am going to have to learn more patience and somehow develop a more relaxed approach to my Disney days!
I told Reid he could do it once and that would be it. It just made me so anxious trying to keep my eye on where he was. And then trying to get him down. Would have been better if Disney had kept all the play stuff on the ground instead of having to put it in the air.

Quote:
So glad Reid loved my favorite ride (BTMRR)!!!
I was so excited that he rode it and loved it!!! Ed & I are big coaster junkies so our child needs to like them, too.

Quote:
They have a BBQ platter at Pecos Bill now???? Going to have to look into that.
Yes ma'am they sure do! Ed said it was all good except for the steak.

Quote:
It looks like Reid was having a lot of fun at H&V. I’m still not sold on that one though. I don’t think Willow would actually be interested in any of the characters there other than Jake; there are so many other more character meals with her favorite characters. I wish DHS had a Toy Story character meal!
If the only character she would be interested in is Jake, then skip the breakfast and just meet him in the park. I believe he meets throughout the day around Disney Junior Live. I'm glad we tried the meal but probably won't go back.

I agree - a Toy Story meal would be the bomb diggity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I think your pictures of Reid during breakfast are so cute I can see that maybe the characters there may not hold appeal long term though. I have never been there..and probably never will just because the characters do not appeal to us..and the food never sounds to be something people rave about (unlike the puffed french toast at CP)
Thank you!! Yeah, the characters seem to be the only reason why people go there. I know it's why we went. And now we don't have to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So, it only took me a couple days to come back and see pics. I hate that I can't see them at work (not that I should be on the DIS, but you know........)

I love all the pictures of Reid. So cute. I especially love him coming through the gate at HS. Such a great moment - the start of the day.

That character meal looks fun!
Thanks!! I love trying to get pictures of him running through the gates or getting off of a ride. I feel like those are some of the moments when you can capture genuine looks of joy or excitement.

He enjoyed his time at the character meal so it makes me glad we did it.
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #401
SEASONK
Mouseketeer

Glad to know that H&V is not terrible. We are going back to WDW in October with my sister, nephew (2), cousin, and cousin's son (4). They have requested we eat there, and I have been really worried that it would be disgusting.
WL ~ Dec 2010
CBR ~ Oct 2012
SEASONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #402
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
No need to be sorry! If the check-in would have gone a bit smoother, I probably would feel somewhat different about H&V. It's just one of those things that leave you with a bad feeling.
I agree completely Amanda!!! Maybe that's why I haven't wound up back at GF scared I'll get walked again

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #403
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I just posted this almost exact picture in my TR!!

Wouldn’t you know it? They checked in the wrong family! REALLY?!? And to think I had confirmed my name at the podium. Two people “confirmed” the wrong family. Needless to say, I was not happy. By the time we got seated it was 8:15 am. Not terrible but we could have been in there right away if people had paid attention to their job.

That is so frustrating! At least you went and checked! No telling how that would have ended!

H&V character meal isn't one we will be going to. I actually only know those characters from reading others TRs!! I wish they would do a Pixar with Sully, Woody, Buzz, the UP characters and so on! That would be my most favorite regardless of the food!!

Back to the MK post...you all got a lot done even with the rain! I remember Madison's first ride on Barnstormer....which I put in my TR and made you cry...sorry She was showing me prom dresses and discussing college choices last night.... I am so glad he was brave enough to do Haunted Mansion and BTMRR! Two of my favorites!! I introduced newbies to those two rides and they loved them! Classic!
TinksThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #404
beachta1
Mouseketeer

Just joining your TR, sounds like you've having a great time. Congrats on the 5k and to your husband on the 10miler. I ran my first half marathon last year and still have days where 3 miles stinks, so don't worry, you aren't alone in having an off day. You should be proud of finishing!

By the way, your son is so freaking cute. He seems so energetic and genuinely happy on all of the rides and with all of the characters. It must make the trip that much more exciting to know he is having the time of his life
beachta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #405
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi! I'm glad to see you back on here. Now don't be gone for so long again!
Check me out - twice in one week!

Quote:
I would give it a try. The nice thing about it is that it is served family style. No getting up and down to get food for you and your child. You can just sit, relax and eat. I thought the food was pretty good, too. And I think Willow would probably enjoy the little parade they do around the restaurant.
Yeah, I am wanting to do this more and more. I am nervous about a resort breakfast ADR though because we like to get to the parks early (rope drop), and I just don't think we could manage a breakfast even earlier than that - traveling from the West Coast is a real disadvantage if you have to get up early on the East Coast. Maybe I need to work in a day where we do resort stuff until the evening or something. It really does look like a great breakfast (I bet they would even make gluten-free Mickey waffles!), and I know Willow would love it!!!

Quote:
This was our 1st time meeting them anywhere. Reid has just never been crazy about them. But, for whatever reason he does love Tigger. Oh, actually I know why - because "he bounces high, Mommy!"
\
You know, Willow has never been that into them either. For some reason, she was crazy for them at Crystal Palace.

Quote:
I told Reid he could do it once and that would be it. It just made me so anxious trying to keep my eye on where he was. And then trying to get him down. Would have been better if Disney had kept all the play stuff on the ground instead of having to put it in the air.
Ugh - I had that experience at The Boneyard, and it just about gave me a nervous breakdown. Maybe now that Willow is older, I won't be quite so nervous about it.

Quote:
I was so excited that he rode it and loved it!!! Ed & I are big coaster junkies so our child needs to like them, too.
That is so great! I just love BTMRR so much.

Quote:
Yes ma'am they sure do! Ed said it was all good except for the steak.
Very interesting! I had no idea. I don't know that I can be swayed from my one burger meal of the trip - I love piling on those fixin's!

Quote:
If the only character she would be interested in is Jake, then skip the breakfast and just meet him in the park. I believe he meets throughout the day around Disney Junior Live. I'm glad we tried the meal but probably won't go back.
Yeah, I have been noticing that he is now out. I wonder whether Phineas and Ferb are still meeting. I can't see any real reason for us to do H&V.

Quote:
I agree - a Toy Story meal would be the bomb diggity!!!
Why don't they just do it??????
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: