Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

When reading your criteria every thing kept making me think of Polynesian. It has Kona Cafe (great for breakfast), Tambu Lounge (great for drinks), just a short monorail trip to Grand Floridian for Citricos, Narcoossee's or Victoria and Albert's or to Contemporary for California Grill (closed until atleast August for refurb).
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

I do believe the POLY is the answer to all your needs...Monorail for Epcot and MagicKingdom, zero entry pool, restaurants, kids club...however I know you had said you have a budget, therefore lets move on.....

I have stayed at both POLY(twice), FQ(3times), Yacht Club(1), and Contemporary(1)....

Love the FQ, although it does NOT have a kids club for watching children. You might want to call and see if you can use one at a deluxe for a fee. Not sure they will let you, but worth a try...The grounds are small, great food court, but NO sit down restaurant. But you can use the one at Riverside. In fact you can use all amenities at Riverside and vice versa. As far as I know that is the only 2 resorts on property that allow that, probably due to them once being one big resort....The only thing i think you should be aware of, and because I have stayed there 3 times and every time it happens is bus service can be LONG and often returning from parks it can be standing room only. A lot of kind men give up their seats and even I have but unfortunately there are a lot of rude people out there with no manners who won't. So if you go try to maybe leave the park at NOT closing times so you are pretty much sure guaranteed a seat. On the flip side going to the parks seeing how FQ is always 1st picked up, we have always had a seat, never stood. Even my DH who always will give up his seat...

Wilderness is from what I hear a great resort. My only problem with it is the Midwest feel to it. Coming from Illinois and doing mini vacations in Wisconsin, and Michigan, I am not sure if I want to see more woods stuff. I love me some Palm trees! But the resort is nice and I like the boat to MK..

Animal Kingdom never stayed, have no interest. We have great zoos where I live. And the one drawback I found to it, is that it is FAR from most parks...What can I say I like to get to the parks as fast I can and have some fun. ANd yes I know I am on vacation but patience for transportation isn't my strong point, from that I bet you can see why we always fly to Florida never drive....

Really look into all the transportations issues. If you have a child with special needs you don't want him to have to wait any longer. MAybe WIlderness might be your best bet if babysitting is that important. DOnt know we never used it, to us Disney is a family vacation. BUt I also can understand how going out for a meal and not buttering anyones bread could be nice, just once ...Good luck, and agree with you picking a resort is very hard! GO to AllEars Net and read there accommodations page, they have picture and people write reviews, that might help as well!!!
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

Oh I almost forgot check out Contemporary BUT the GARDEN WING ROOMS. They are next to main building CHEAPER, you could walk to MK, or monorail and babysitting....

Oh I hope that there is availability because I think that actually might be the BEST FIT TO ALL YOUR NEEDS, keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

The Poly is amazing for young families.
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
DisneyLover75
DIS Veteran

You CAN use the kids' clubs at any resort, even if you're not staying there.

If a moderate is more in your price range, do POFQ and get an in-room sitter instead of using the kids' club. The sitter can take the kids to the arcade, the playground or the food court, or play games. I believe POFQ has a lounge you can patronize while the kids are with the sitter, if you didn't feel like going far.

Otherwise, as I was reading your post, everything you were saying made me think of WL. I love WL. I have stayed there and had no problems with transportation, be it bus or boat, and it's a beautiful resort.

Plus, as someone else mentioned, with little kids, you'll probably find yourself spending a lot of time at MK. I know we always do.
1983- Offsite,1987- Offsite, 1992-Dixie Landings(POR),1993-Dixie Landings(POR), 2005 -Pop Century,2006- All Star Movies,2007- Wilderness Lodge,2008 -All Star Music, 2009- All Star Sports, 2010- Coronado Springs, 2011- All Star Music, 2012-Pop Century, 2013- French Quarter 2014- Wilderness Lodge
DisneyLover75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
tiggerfied
#1 Disney Mom!

By all means, Poly! Rooms are very large and it's so easy to come back from MK for breaks during the day.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
marykatmp
Earning My Ears

I am discounting Poly because you said low end deluxe or mod. However, I have not been impressed with the Poly beyond the restaurants. This may change once they finish renovating. I think AKL or WL would be the best fit. Transportation is not going to be perfect anywhere you go. The further you are from a park the longer your transportation time is going to be. Even at Poly you have to transfer at the TTC to another monorail to go to Epcot. I adore WL, but love AKL. Both are unique, but AKL is incomparable to any other because of the animals. All deluxes are going to have the kids club. Kidani has a great pool for kids that is an easy walk from AKL. I think the rooms at all three are going to give you a similar feel. They are not massive by any means but they are comfortable enough. If proximity is a huge issue, I echo what others have said about the Epcot area deluxes because they are the most centrally located on property and tend to be moderately priced in regards to the deluxe resorts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: