Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #31
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

HS is probably my least favorite park. I got so angry when I was there. I had trouble figuring out the layout and it frustrated me. :P I also didn't like that when I was looking for a soda and something to eat at around 11, only ONE place was open. According to my time schedule (maybe I read it wrong?) only one place was open between opening and 10:30, 11. The line for the one that was open was huge and the indoor space small. Still, I'll probably visit for TSM, backlot tour, maybe try the animation studio, muppets, and ToT on my trip in December and I'll come back around the time of the light show but I don't see myself spending the day there.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #32
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoble82 View Post
HS is probably my least favorite park. I got so angry when I was there. I had trouble figuring out the layout and it frustrated me. :P I also didn't like that when I was looking for a soda and something to eat at around 11, only ONE place was open. According to my time schedule (maybe I read it wrong?) only one place was open between opening and 10:30, 11. The line for the one that was open was huge and the indoor space small. Still, I'll probably visit for TSM, backlot tour, maybe try the animation studio, muppets, and ToT on my trip in December and I'll come back around the time of the light show but I don't see myself spending the day there.
by far HS is mine too. I get angry too because I expect more out of Disney. I like the basic premise but it desperately needs a Star Wars Land and then knock down the car stunt show to add something like Cars Land.

Id like for them to keep the backlot tour as its a nice BREAK kind of ride but if it had to go I wouldnt miss it too much

Again like the basic idea/theme of the park but it really needs something

In the last 10 years I went once ( 3 years ago ) and I was mad at myself that I tried it again. Waste of money and time. Id rather have gone to one of the other parks a 2nd time.

I am actually going again in March but that is because I am bringing some Japanese friends with me that hasnt been to WDW before but that will definitely be the last time I go until they do a major new Addition to the park
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #33
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleGirl View Post
I thought they reported on one of the recent Dis podcasts that there are plans (a confirmed date?) to tear down "Lights, Motors, Action!" to make room for Cars Land. Anyone else hear this or am I just making stuff up?
I heard this 'speculation' as well. I think that would be pretty cool!

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #34
johnnycake
Earning My Ears

I know a few weeks back lots of folks were almost certian of a cars land announcement. I am personally glad that is still a rumor, keep cars land in CA, save an DHS expansion for a indy/starwars land.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #35
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnKim913 View Post
I just really feel Indiana Jones has run its course. Time for something a little more relevant. With Disney purchasing LucasFilm and making more movies, I think it's inevitable.
I agree, I would like to see them put an Indiana Jones themed ride in this spot. And since they purchased LucasFilm, this would def. work now.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #36
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I love the Indian Jones ride in Tokyo, my favorite ride in the park infact and Id love to see it in Florida. THe stunt show isnt bad, its my favorite show in the park but the park is too show heavy and if it meant getting a star Wars Land or an Indiana Jones ride then Id be okay with it going

I would be as though if it was closed and we had NOTHING of Indian in Florida, but I guess at the same time that just makes going to Tokyo a plus ( I live in Japan for part of the year and part of the year in Florida )

I have never been to the California resort despite going to California many many times but I plan on going once and only once in a few years.

So a Cars Land in Florida would be very welcomed for my family and I
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #37
Marshypooh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
Of course DHS could use one or two more quality rides (the Monsters Inc roller coaster has always seemed like a no-brainer), although I don't mind that it is mostly shows. What I do have an issue with is how they schedule the shows. It's awful. It's almost never possible to go straight from one show to another. So it makes scheduling your day very difficult and you end up with too much "dead time" waiting for the next show time where it is not long enough to do a ride in between and make it to the next show on time but too much time to just head over the show. [this is usually where someone chimes in saying that this is probably by design to give people that down time to browse shops and spend money]

My other big probelm with DHS is the lousy layout. The other 3 parks have a symmetrical/circular design that's easy to navigate. At DHS, you seem to do a lot of zig-zagging and backtracking.
Definitely agree with this. My family really loves DHS and we always spend 2 days there, but even with that extra time we always seem to get the most exhausted here than at the other three parks. Have been there at various times of the year, too, but with the same experience every visit. It can be quite a challenge scheduling all the shows, rides, meals, and the parade with all the scurrying around back and forth. I guess Disney's strategy is working because I do spend alot of time in the shops in between shows and fastpass return times.

On the other hand I will say, for all of it's often times difficult navigation, I still find the layout to be very charming in it's own unique way. I really love the street design concept and hope that never changes.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #38
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamarmiller View Post
I love the Indian Jones ride in Tokyo, my favorite ride in the park infact and Id love to see it in Florida. THe stunt show isnt bad, its my favorite show in the park but the park is too show heavy and if it meant getting a star Wars Land or an Indiana Jones ride then Id be okay with it going

I would be as though if it was closed and we had NOTHING of Indian in Florida, but I guess at the same time that just makes going to Tokyo a plus ( I live in Japan for part of the year and part of the year in Florida )

I have never been to the California resort despite going to California many many times but I plan on going once and only once in a few years.

So a Cars Land in Florida would be very welcomed for my family and I
I agree with that. The Indiana Jones show is nice, but the ride from Japan would blow it out of the water and give something to HS.

One thing I have never understood about HS is why TSM is so popular, when the Buzz ride at MK is almost the same concept (ride around and shoot things from your car)? Clearly, it works, but that just confuses me.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #39
rdhshady3
Earning My Ears

HS needs some new attractions. Sometimes it is hard to stay at the park all day when you dont have the hopper.
rdhshady3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #40
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Studios is a "feeder" park that supplies early day diversions to crowds that tend to defect to EPCOT, Magic Kingdom, and Downtown as the day goes on...

Perhaps it didn't start that way - but it has evolved into that kind of model.
Simply put: when you have the bigger parks with more merchandise and food comparably available - you create the possibility of making more profit off the staff you are employing...and as they stopped short of making Animal Kingdom a true full day experience...they clearly "tiered" their two least popular parks (by attendance) into being feeders to the big money makers.

So it comes down to this: there is little reason for major capital investment and construction in studios until the parks become crowded to the point where they need more people in the park all day - and those people consume more disney on-site hotel rooms.

That is not the case - the parks are far from "crowded" to the point where they need a bigger footprint and a billion of new rides at studios. Whatever your perception is - the reality is that they don't fill up magic kingdom and EPCOT enough to warrant this.

And based on overhead and profit - the animals are far more expensive to maintain and they have undoubtedly alot higher cost to run animal kingdom. It makes more sense to add to AK to recoup costs - if they were inclined to do so. But we aren't there.

So i advise caution when "predicting" expansion at studios. Right now, they are making more bucks off toys in every toy isle at walmart off their recent acquisitions.
Would it be nice to show us some love and put in new lands and rides? Yes of course...but the reality is this:

WDW is there, it makes a heap, people still flock to it, and the prices have been on the steady rise for years.
Why give us more when we take what you're giving already?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #41
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

I go to Hollywood studios maybe once every five years because it has so little to offer, Each time I go I leave disappointed, however I go to the other 3 parks in Florida and the 2 parks in Tokyo every year

Until HS adds something BIG and not something like the new pirates of the Caribbean thing ( something like cars land or star wars Land ) I wont go again. Just not enough there for me to want to spend the money for a family of four to go

just my 2 cents
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #42
arthropodtodd
Mouseketeer

Look, we can all agree DHS needs some updates

I think it is safe to say we all jump on rumors about DHS because the park needs some help. We have heard the rumors about new "worlds" being created to more match Universal. There has also been the rumors/news of seeing Imagineers walking around the parks as well as stories of executives in the park. And then of course Disney went and bought out Lucas and now have free reign with his creations.

So i think it is safe to say things will change at DHS whenever either the right plan or fiances are in place. They are not going to dump money into the park unless they know they will make money off it. Contrary to what we like to think Disney is trying to make money, not make dreams come true.

So what will happen? Who knows.

Is there land available? Yep, lots of it. Take a look at Google maps at the area. There is several areas for either expansion or options for remodeling/demolition. You have parking lots and woods to the east, southeast, and south of the park able to be used. To the west and north you are blocked by roads, but reworking of the park for flow could be done and tweaked by what you do with the Backlot and LMA.

So here is what I would do...because no one asked.

Echo lake and surrounding restaurants, leave them. They work with the "hub" being part of Hollywood's Golden age. Improve on this. Mainstreet has not a single ride at MK, but is a blast and filled with eye candy.

Develop more Star Wars now that they own it and do not have to deal with George. Turn the Back Lost Express by ST into the Cantina, complete with repetitive music from movie. Remove Jedi Training and create a new road with a new Theater area for Jedi, a new kids friendly ride (perhaps a SW version the Astro Orbiter) and build half of the Deathstar with a coast inside to be the center point of this land ala Space Mountain. Inside you will find a dueling Lightsaber Coaster (see idea for the dueling dragons coaster was proposed at AK). Imagine two coasters in pitch black, one red and one blue/green that go at the same time and intertwine and near miss each other while epic saber fight music and sounds occur. Heck have two separate lines (Sith and Jedi) with separate FP that allows guests to choose their own path complete with a different interactive line. Also, since this is a Studio themed park, add all sorts of props and such to the area. Bring up the snowspeeder from the Backlot tour, and other SW stuff to display. Add a Hoth icey playground where one can cool down in the summers.

Expand Pixar Place, and say no to Carsland. Pixar, Disney Animation, Hollywood Golden Age and SW should be the center pieces to this park, but again keep it feeling like a studio. So have the Streets of America merge into the Streets of Monstropolis, which at the end of the block could have either Monster U or Monsters Inc. with a ride. Which would go north on the back edge of the park by LMA and Catastrophe Canyon. Again make it like a movie set just one based in the monster world. They could even create artifacts from famous monster movies that could be displayed. Honey I Shrunk the Kids? Now a Bugs's Life play area. Move the AFI show case to where Idol and Sounds Dangerous is and knock down the rest of the backlot tour for more Pixar attractions. Add studio versions of a few of the Carsland rides included RSR, but make it look like a movie set. This is Pixar Place, not Carsland. Move Mater and Lighting M&G into the new area. However, create animatronic cars that can interact with guests. It dumb to get your picture taken next to two inanimate objects.

I would then push back in the Art of Animation area, to add a simple dark ride involving the history of Mickey and allow to tell the Disney story there. This area could also be used to promote the latest Disney or Pixar films with special, limited time exhibits. Exhibits are cool if they get switched out from time to time.

Finally throw more Hollywood into the park. Add a Disney wax museum, filled with famous Disney scenes, both live action and animated. Work with other Hollywood agencies and organizations to bring more historical exhibits and attractions for the public to see so we don't have to go to Hollywood. And for pete's sake, add the Hollywood sign, complete with Mickey ears somewhere.

Okay those are my ideas. And to keep it rumor, a bus driver told me they were going to do all of it.....

WL 2004 - Wedding and Honeymoon there; WL - 2006; WL - 2009; CR - 2011; WL - 2012; WL Club Level - 2013; WL - 2014 -Summer; POP & AKL 2014

In the pipe:
2015 - fall Location TBA
2016 - fall Location TBA
arthropodtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #43
OhStuffandFluff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthropodtodd
I think it is safe to say we all jump on rumors about DHS because the park needs some help. We have heard the rumors about new "worlds" being created to more match Universal. There has also been the rumors/news of seeing Imagineers walking around the parks as well as stories of executives in the park. And then of course Disney went and bought out Lucas and now have free reign with his creations.

So i think it is safe to say things will change at DHS whenever either the right plan or fiances are in place. They are not going to dump money into the park unless they know they will make money off it. Contrary to what we like to think Disney is trying to make money, not make dreams come true.

So what will happen? Who knows.

Is there land available? Yep, lots of it. Take a look at Google maps at the area. There is several areas for either expansion or options for remodeling/demolition. You have parking lots and woods to the east, southeast, and south of the park able to be used. To the west and north you are blocked by roads, but reworking of the park for flow could be done and tweaked by what you do with the Backlot and LMA.

So here is what I would do...because no one asked.

Echo lake and surrounding restaurants, leave them. They work with the "hub" being part of Hollywood's Golden age. Improve on this. Mainstreet has not a single ride at MK, but is a blast and filled with eye candy.

Develop more Star Wars now that they own it and do not have to deal with George. Turn the Back Lost Express by ST into the Cantina, complete with repetitive music from movie. Remove Jedi Training and create a new road with a new Theater area for Jedi, a new kids friendly ride (perhaps a SW version the Astro Orbiter) and build half of the Deathstar with a coast inside to be the center point of this land ala Space Mountain. Inside you will find a dueling Lightsaber Coaster (see idea for the dueling dragons coaster was proposed at AK). Imagine two coasters in pitch black, one red and one blue/green that go at the same time and intertwine and near miss each other while epic saber fight music and sounds occur. Heck have two separate lines (Sith and Jedi) with separate FP that allows guests to choose their own path complete with a different interactive line. Also, since this is a Studio themed park, add all sorts of props and such to the area. Bring up the snowspeeder from the Backlot tour, and other SW stuff to display. Add a Hoth icey playground where one can cool down in the summers.

Expand Pixar Place, and say no to Carsland. Pixar, Disney Animation, Hollywood Golden Age and SW should be the center pieces to this park, but again keep it feeling like a studio. So have the Streets of America merge into the Streets of Monstropolis, which at the end of the block could have either Monster U or Monsters Inc. with a ride. Which would go north on the back edge of the park by LMA and Catastrophe Canyon. Again make it like a movie set just one based in the monster world. They could even create artifacts from famous monster movies that could be displayed. Honey I Shrunk the Kids? Now a Bugs's Life play area. Move the AFI show case to where Idol and Sounds Dangerous is and knock down the rest of the backlot tour for more Pixar attractions. Add studio versions of a few of the Carsland rides included RSR, but make it look like a movie set. This is Pixar Place, not Carsland. Move Mater and Lighting M&G into the new area. However, create animatronic cars that can interact with guests. It dumb to get your picture taken next to two inanimate objects.

I would then push back in the Art of Animation area, to add a simple dark ride involving the history of Mickey and allow to tell the Disney story there. This area could also be used to promote the latest Disney or Pixar films with special, limited time exhibits. Exhibits are cool if they get switched out from time to time.

Finally throw more Hollywood into the park. Add a Disney wax museum, filled with famous Disney scenes, both live action and animated. Work with other Hollywood agencies and organizations to bring more historical exhibits and attractions for the public to see so we don't have to go to Hollywood. And for pete's sake, add the Hollywood sign, complete with Mickey ears somewhere.

Okay those are my ideas. And to keep it rumor, a bus driver told me they were going to do all of it.....
Wow! I love all of these ideas!

DH Myself DS DD
OhStuffandFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #44
HerRoyalHighness
Earning My Ears

From what I see, if the stipulation is that they can't use characters that are currently being used, all I see Universal Studios using at their park is Spiderman and the Hulk. That leaves a WHOLE LOT of other characters that Disney can incorporate.

I'd just be happy with Thor
HerRoyalHighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #45
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRoyalHighness View Post
From what I see, if the stipulation is that they can't use characters that are currently being used, all I see Universal Studios using at their park is Spiderman and the Hulk. That leaves a WHOLE LOT of other characters that Disney can incorporate.

I'd just be happy with Thor
I believe they can't use any characters that are depicted in any way at Universal, like, even if it's just a picture on a building. So it's a lot more than just Spiderman and the Hulk, sadly.

That being said, I'm not even sure if that's the deal, or if the deal is just that they flat out can't do anything with them in Florida.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: