Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Figee17
Mouseketeer

Take a boat to Wilderness Lodge for Whispering Canyon or to Fort Wilderness for Trails End. My family enjoys both and the young ones love the boat ride and the atmosphere at the campground especially.
Figee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Debby7
DIS Veteran

We have had excellent meals and service at both the Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona.
Debby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

For me it would depend on what time MK closes? Is it an early closing and you won't be returning or a late closing and you want to get back?

If MK closes early, you might want dinner to be an event in and of itself, in which case I would suggest HDDR, a dinner show, which is in our opinion, one of the best events Disney offers. You can take the boat from MK to FW. Another option if MK closes early, would be a signature dining experience, either at Narcoossee's or Artist Point. Of the two, my family had a better overall experience at Artist Point, and since you are already dining at GF at Citricos, I would highly recommend it.

If MK closes later and you want to return, I would do something quicker, like Kona Cafe or GFC. We didn't care for The Wave, our dishes were very hit or miss and the atmosphere felt more like a Cave (you may enjoy that kind of thing). Kona has become one of our favorite restaurants in Disney for all meals, and we don't think it's too much like 'Ohana at all. GFC gets very good reviews and someday we will try it. We have done 1900 PF and while I wouldn't recommend it for the food, the characters were a hoot. We also really (still) enjoy Chef Mickey's. The food is pretty good, better than 1900 PF, and the restaurant is in the Grand Concourse, and it's fun to just be in there, with the monorail gliding overhead.

Please tell us what you decide!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
pannm
Mouseketeer

Whispering Canyon is a fun place. The food was ok and the service and entertainment were a lot of fun.
1900 park fare- fun character experiance, but the food was NOT GOOD in my opinion. If you cook anything at home for yourself...you should skip it!

We had a great time at chef Mickey's and it was SOOOOO super easy to get there and back from MK!!! The food was better than some other buffet style places at Disney AND they did have a lot of special options. The dessert bar there was SUPER!

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
ashleypmo
DIS Veteran

Love taking the boat to WL. We also went to Poly one night, got CS and ate on the beach.

Here am I and the children whom the LORD has given me! We are for signs and for wonders....Isaiah 8:18
DH Me DD16 DS12 DD8 DSDs6 DDDs 5
ashleypmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
dorothymantooth
Earning My Ears

We are now deciding on either Whispering Canyon or Boma. I can only get reservations later so we will most likely not go back to the park. We have two boys, 6 and 11, so is one better than the other for them?
dorothymantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

I have never eaten at WC, but it is more convenient and closer to get to than AKL, which is located on the other end of the WDW property. That said, if you have a car, I would recommend Boma.You can view the animals out on the savannah, there is African drumming in the entrance to the restaurant, storytelling by the fire...and the gift shop is amazing.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR & AKL PHM!
12/2014 BC
disneydreamkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #23
SEASONK
Mouseketeer

We ate at Boma this past October. DH and I thought it was good for a buffet. DS8 was not an adventurous eater at first, so our waitress brought him a plate of chicken nuggets and fries. He finally started sampling our food and enjoyed several dishes. We have done Whispering Canyon twice and we have all enjoyed it. It is certainly not gourmet food, but they had some antics my son thought were hilarious. Whispering Canyon is the easiest to get to from MK.
WL ~ Dec 2010
CBR ~ Oct 2012
SEASONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #24
partigus
Mouseketeer

lots of choices

given cali grill is closed and you are already dining at citric.....you could do Narcosses, but why more seafod at the GF...you coukld try Artist Pointe over at WL for a great meal, and the Hoppti do, while not my cup of tea is popular at fort wilderness (and i guess the luau at the poly)....hidden gem here is the grand Floridian Cafe. Never had a bad meal- nice setting and a varied menu for the whole family. Not "signature" dining, but very good.
2011 Yacht Club (5)
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: