Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
sarahandgreg
Mouseketeer

Wow Going to Alaska - help me choose

So excited just booked the last Alaska cruise of 2013!

Now am so confused about port adventures and need help so here goes:

I see Adventures by Disney offer some amazing port adventures - i want to know how I can book these? I booked my cruise through DCL not Adventures by Disney - does this make a difference?

I guess what I mean is ABD offer things like private helicopter and dog sledding adventures, ziplining, etc etc. DCL offer different port adventures - which also look good, but I prefer the ABD trips. Do I have to have booked the cruise through ABD to experience these trips?

When I called ABD they said to book the ABD trips through DCL but she was not sure - now I am confused - I want to get this right - can anyone help?
sarahandgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I believe that ABD is a cruise add on.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

To do the ABD excursions, you have to book the ABD add on package. This can be added to the cruise you have already booked (and it is very costly).

Many of the excursions can be booked outside of the ABD package, either thru DCL or private vendors. Check out shoretrips.com. We used them in Alaska and found them to be great...as well as about 30% less than booking thru the cruise line. MINIMALLY more effort as we had to follow their instructions to meet up with our guide rather than having instructions like "go to Promenade lounge"
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

As kcashner said, the ABD excursions is actually an add-on package to your cruise. It's basically an ABD tour where the hotel is the cruise ship. You have to sign up for the ABD for the length of the cruise. You'll have activities with ABD throughout the cruise, even on sea days, and the services of the Adventure Guides. All transportation, activities & meals in port are handled by ABD. There are other benefits, such as having all your tips paid (servers, stateroom host, bus driver, etc, except for the Adventure Guide's tips), you get a CD with all photos taken by Shutters and the Adventure Guides, etc.

They are not separate excursions that can be booked independently. You can call DCL and find out what the charge is for the add-on for your cruise (if there's still availability. They limit it to around 40 people.) You'll book it through DCL as an add-on to your reservation.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
mareeld86
DIS Veteran

Pop on over to our meet thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2915902 we will all help you with your port adventures as im sure we are al having a hard time deciding as well. I know I am
Disneyland Disneyland January 2002,Disneyland January 2006, Disneyland January 2009 , Disneyland February 2010. Disneyland, Walt Disney World & Disney Western Caribbean Cruise November, December 2011 & January 2012 our 9 Week trip.
mareeld86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

According to a blog post on http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/alaska.htm

The Adventures by Disney Add on is no longer available during 2013 in Alaska.

After reading a blog review by someone who did the ABD add on most of the excursions are still available but without the extra pins and personal Disney Tour guides.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I was going to post this also, along with the fact that you might want to do a search for the Alaska ABD. From what I remember there was a discussion about the pricing being the same with less than the previous year. I saw more posts about frustration with the program.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: