Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #121
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Hi! Caught up with the last update!

BC - CS options, I have to agree! Boardwalk really is the same way. There is just the bakery with limited breakfast, lunch, & dinner options. I do not always want to eat TS meals. We really enjoy Mara AKL and Contempo at BLT, we haven't stayed at Wilderness Lodge yet! So I can't say much for Roaring Forks at the moment but I am glad to hear of the options here.

RnRC scares me, I am a big wimp. I am one of those that get motion sickness so that could possibly be why I do not like serious roller coasters (defined in my book: as ones that go upside down or with big drops).

Yum! Cupcakes, I plan to try different Cupcakes on our next visit.

Thanks for the update! Happy New Year!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #122
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
Hi! Caught up with the last update!

BC - CS options, I have to agree! Boardwalk really is the same way. There is just the bakery with limited breakfast, lunch, & dinner options. I do not always want to eat TS meals. We really enjoy Mara AKL and Contempo at BLT, we haven't stayed at Wilderness Lodge yet! So I can't say much for Roaring Forks at the moment but I am glad to hear of the options here.

the Mara is really very, very good counter service... really comprehensive... lots of variety, good choices... & we stopped at Comtempo on our MK day for a snack and it looked pretty good as well... I think most of the values and moderates have really good food courts as well... We're staying 4 nights at the Boardwalk in July in a Villa and I'm definitely going to bring breakfast foods...& some snacks...I agree... probably one TS a day is about right for me... unless maybe a TS breakfast in the morning and then a dinner... but even that I wouldn't want everyday...

RnRC scares me, I am a big wimp. I am one of those that get motion sickness so that could possibly be why I do not like serious roller coasters (defined in my book: as ones that go upside down or with big drops).

I'm not going to try to convince you to ride something you really don't want too... but you might want to try it once to make sure... lol... you don't ever have to do it again... DRAMAMINE... good stuff... and if you really wanted to give it a go... and get really scared... you can close your eyes and go to your happy place...

Yum! Cupcakes, I plan to try different Cupcakes on our next visit.

I tried 5 different ones... with Eric's help...It was a hard job but someone had to do it...

Thanks for the update! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #123
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

We'll Adopt Phineas and Ferb... TSM & Animation Academy...

Pleasantly full from lunch & images of 50s Sci Fi, it was time to move towards our destiny with TSM, but we first had a couple of stops to attend to...

First it had been at least 2+ hours since I had seen a cup of coffee... and fortunately Writer's Stop is right next store to the Sci Fi...so I could refuel on caffeine...

Happy... (Somehow...I feel like I had some kind of cup in my hand about 50% of the time- either a coffee or somekind of adult beverage... hmmm....not sure what that says about me...)

Love this fountain... (Wish the muppets were on more now...)

We had really wanted to meet these two incredibly inventive fellows... Phineas & Ferb...(I think David wishes they were his brothers...)

I feel like this one looks like a family shot...& I would happily adopt them...

Happily having obtained our Phineas & Ferb fix we were on to Toy Story Mania...

This ride has lots of charm and is lots of fun and undoubtedly the queuing area is visual engaging.... which I suppose is a good thing when the standyby is 60 minutes... Now is it me or am I the only one that feels the death ray glances from some of the people in the Stand by line when you're using your Fastpasses? (I mean everyone can use fastpasses... you just have to know/think to get them... unless your off to a late start)

I rode with David... and its a good thing I'm a process oriented person & enjoy the journey... because the product wasn't that great... Oh well... It was tons of fun...

We knew we wanted to come back at night for the Osbourne Lights and Fantasmic... so we didn't want to spend too much more time in the Park... It was time to go back and relax (me) and swim (David & Eric)...

but I knew we had to do this first...

Animation Academy... I love all the exhibits on Animation & I especially love getting to draw a Disney Character... (for those 20 minutes I can pretend I'm a Disney animator...albeit a bad one...-that's my story and I'm sticking to it...)

On the way out of the Studios... I took a sign of this... knowing we'd be heading back this evening to grab a beverage for Osbourne Lights....

& then it was time for some Bo love...

Bo, I didn't know if you had some Diser attention today... don't want you to be lonely...

Bye Studios... we'll be back tonight...

HMMMM.... Let's get off at the Swan...& Walk to the Boardwalk... Have some chairs to meet & more cupcakes to try...
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #124
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Sorry for the long reply – I had fallen a bit behind and got a bit carried away here!

I like the excursion to Frankford Hall – great drink menu. I spotted the Bitburger Pils right away, it is basically the Budweiser of Germany ;-] The Spaten Oktoberfest is a good one. Too bad they didn’t have anything from the Parkbrau brewery; they brew up some of my favorites and are hard to find in the states. So funny that they have all of those great German beers and end the list with Miller Lite

What, their French fries didn’t come with mayo and gravy on them????? Believe it or not that is a standard over there. It looked like a great place though with wonderful food and drinks. You’re lucky to have a place like that close to you. And the beer halls or Gasthauses serve more functions than your English pub. They are a community center, bar, banquet hall, and hotel all built into one. Even the smallest villages have them and the larger cities have multiple community-based ones to go to.

On to your DHS day - we’re on the same day for our TRs! That is strange that Beach Club doesn’t have better quick service offerings. Having only stayed at POP I just assumed all resorts had the large offerings it had. At least you have a bunch of other places to eat close at hand. Very cool being able to just take that ferry to DHS!

No ToT? I can’t blame you there – I ride it and it is okay, I honestly like the view it gives you when the doors open more than anything else. As far as the acceleration thing, I agree with you. I actually don’t ride California Screamin’ anymore because of the acceleration and a couple of the sharp turns that really jerk my neck. But I LOVE RnRC! Much smoother overall and the theming is just so good.

I know what you mean on the FP times for TSM. We got in early with our breakfast ADRs and were heading for the ride before the official opening time of the park with the first of the regular park-goers and still had a past 10am FP time. I personally don’t get it. And I would guess that they are all gone by 11am at the very latest.

On keeping your eyes open the best I can suggest is to think about a silly thing to do for the launch picture. If you’re thinking about doing a silly face or something it may distract you from the actual launch. Congrats on going through with it though!

The goodies at Starring Rolls looked yummy, we’ve never been in there. Nice Photopass shot at the hat. Glad y’all had such a fun time on Star Tours and in the gift shop. I missed the droid factory, that looks really cool – especially being able to put hats on them.

I figure we came in a little bit after you at Sci-Fi (our reses weren’t until 12:30pm) and from the looks of your pics we sat somewhere to your left. I agree with you about the food – good diner fare with very tasty burgers.

Nice shot at the Muppets fountain, we were there right after lunch too! Great shots of everyone with Phineas and Ferb :-] Good shots in TSM too, and yes there are always jealous looks when you use FPs or have a wheelchair/ECV. Just gotta let it roll off of you and enjoy your time despite the sour pusses.

So glad you took the time to do the Animation Academy, we skipped that this time and I regret it. I just love the exhibits and the drawing and getting something unique to bring home. Cute shots with Bo on your way out – I’m sure he appreciated it.

Looking forward to hearing about your evening back there!
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #125
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post

Happy... (Somehow...I feel like I had some kind of cup in my hand about 50% of the time- either a coffee or somekind of adult beverage... hmmm....not sure what that says about me...)
My kind of vacation!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to make it to Animators next time, it's been too long. And need to spend more time in the shop next door, so much neat stuff in there!

David's shirt keeps making me sad I didn't get anything at the museum, they closed the shop before we could go in. WAH!

Quote:

Bo, I didn't know if you had some Diser attention today... don't want you to be lonely...
Definitely don't want Bo to be lonely!

Ok so by the fact you were going back so the boys could swim....oh I hope we have some days warm enough for that, I think we will need it to surrvive the crowds.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #126
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
First it had been at least 2+ hours since I had seen a cup of coffee... and fortunately Writer's Stop is right next store to the Sci Fi...so I could refuel on caffeine...
I remember that place - I stopped here and got a tea when we went to Star Wars weekend. It was SOOOO hot and my husband thought I was mad but I didn't care, I just needed my tea.
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #128
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Connor would be happy to welcome Phineas and Ferb into his family, too! LOL!

Great Bo pictures!!! He looks very happy to be getting attention!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #129
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We'll Adopt Phineas and Ferb... TSM & Animation Academy...

[/SIZE][/COLOR]
It's easy to feel the love for Bo, isn't it?

I, too, love pretending I am an animator for 25 minutes.

Great character pics!

I can totally relate to the continuous beverage in hand - coffee, water, then adult beverage or in any random order.

Can you believe I have yet to go to the Tune In Lounge. Must remedy that in June.

Chairs - a Todd and Paul meet and greet?

Thanks for the recommendation for the Dandelion - I was looking at that - looks like a winner.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #130
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

I love the title of this update! Even though I'm an adult, I love Phineas and Ferb! Your son looks so excited to meet them too. The animation academy os one of my favourite things to do, and I forced some family members into it in December And there is nothing wrong with having a drink in hand - you're on vacation!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #131
amazingact21
Upendi

Writer's Stop is like a haven in DHS. I can't even count the number of times I've been in desperate need of coffee and have spotted this store in the distance. I think they could strictly sell coffee and still keep busy.

The death stares from people in the standby line can be scary at times! They make it seem like you're cutting the line. Ah well, they drop out of your mind the minute you board the ride vehicle and start having fun, anyways.

What did you get to draw in Animation Academy? I always enjoy hearing this, because it seems like DISboarders rarely get the same two characters.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #132
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Sorry for the long reply – I had fallen a bit behind and got a bit carried away here!

I like the excursion to Frankford Hall – great drink menu. I spotted the Bitburger Pils right away, it is basically the Budweiser of Germany ;-] The Spaten Oktoberfest is a good one. Too bad they didn’t have anything from the Parkbrau brewery; they brew up some of my favorites and are hard to find in the states. So funny that they have all of those great German beers and end the list with Miller Lite

What, their French fries didn’t come with mayo and gravy on them????? Believe it or not that is a standard over there. It looked like a great place though with wonderful food and drinks. You’re lucky to have a place like that close to you. And the beer halls or Gasthauses serve more functions than your English pub. They are a community center, bar, banquet hall, and hotel all built into one. Even the smallest villages have them and the larger cities have multiple community-based ones to go to.

It's a really fun place for a drink and a bite and I love that it isn't just another chain restaurant (similarly priced) but has a unique character... Gasthauses sound like a great idea... we could use something like that... French fries with mayo and gravy... those I could do without...

On to your DHS day - we’re on the same day for our TRs! That is strange that Beach Club doesn’t have better quick service offerings. Having only stayed at POP I just assumed all resorts had the large offerings it had. At least you have a bunch of other places to eat close at hand. Very cool being able to just take that ferry to DHS!

Yes... I do wish there were more CS but since Epcot is so walkable... there is pretty easy access to CS in World Showcase... & yes the ferry to the studios is an awesome thing...

No ToT? I can’t blame you there – I ride it and it is okay, I honestly like the view it gives you when the doors open more than anything else. As far as the acceleration thing, I agree with you. I actually don’t ride California Screamin’ anymore because of the acceleration and a couple of the sharp turns that really jerk my neck. But I LOVE RnRC! Much smoother overall and the theming is just so good.

Actually I kinda like ToT & Eric loves it... David not so much... I don't think we felt like going single rider...

I know what you mean on the FP times for TSM. We got in early with our breakfast ADRs and were heading for the ride before the official opening time of the park with the first of the regular park-goers and still had a past 10am FP time. I personally don’t get it. And I would guess that they are all gone by 11am at the very latest.

It's crazy that whole TSM madness...I do think if they open a Carsland in the Studios...that it will take some of the pressure off... I think a lot of people with small children are probably looking for things to do in the Studios with them and TSM is probably one of the few rides they can go on together...

On keeping your eyes open the best I can suggest is to think about a silly thing to do for the launch picture. If you’re thinking about doing a silly face or something it may distract you from the actual launch. Congrats on going through with it though!

Thanks I will definitely have to try that...

The goodies at Starring Rolls looked yummy, we’ve never been in there. Nice Photopass shot at the hat. Glad y’all had such a fun time on Star Tours and in the gift shop. I missed the droid factory, that looks really cool – especially being able to put hats on them.

I need to have the much lauded Carrot Cake cookie & that drop shop after Star Tours is always fun...

I figure we came in a little bit after you at Sci-Fi (our reses weren’t until 12:30pm) and from the looks of your pics we sat somewhere to your left. I agree with you about the food – good diner fare with very tasty burgers.

Totally agree... I think people can be awfully hard on Sci Fi...

Nice shot at the Muppets fountain, we were there right after lunch too! Great shots of everyone with Phineas and Ferb :-] Good shots in TSM too, and yes there are always jealous looks when you use FPs or have a wheelchair/ECV. Just gotta let it roll off of you and enjoy your time despite the sour pusses.

Yes I know... have to let it roll off... we did procure the Fast Passes... I just think human nature is interesting...

So glad you took the time to do the Animation Academy, we skipped that this time and I regret it. I just love the exhibits and the drawing and getting something unique to bring home. Cute shots with Bo on your way out – I’m sure he appreciated it.

Oh... you have to go to AA... it's a great souvenir... Yes we want to make sure Bo isn't lonely...

Looking forward to hearing about your evening back there!
It was a great night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
My kind of vacation!!!!!!!!!!!

The Coffee or the Alcohol ?

I have to make it to Animators next time, it's been too long. And need to spend more time in the shop next door, so much neat stuff in there!

Yes... and in the store... I got a Mary Blair IASW inspired teapot...

David's shirt keeps making me sad I didn't get anything at the museum, they closed the shop before we could go in. WAH!

Owww... sorry... it is a cute gift shop... but there is always some sort of Disney shop op around the corner...

Definitely don't want Bo to be lonely!

Nope...

Ok so by the fact you were going back so the boys could swim....oh I hope we have some days warm enough for that, I think we will need it to surrvive the crowds.
Yes... but it was a little brisk... and we're Northerners...the Southerners weren't swimming... you guys might be ok...being from the Pacific Northwest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
I remember that place - I stopped here and got a tea when we went to Star Wars weekend. It was SOOOO hot and my husband thought I was mad but I didn't care, I just needed my tea.
It's a great little place... I would love it even more if they had more books...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #133
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

So, I read the first full day now. What a day! No wonder you could not face that long line at the end of the day!

I am really glad that my trips usually are longer trips so I can better resist from falling into the trap of overscheduling. I think the coming trip will be the most relaxed ever as there are very few things that I must do (mainly the new Test Track and New Fantasyland) and I will have 10 days for it - even though we are considering of taking one day to see Kennedy Space Center.

On the German wines: Without knowing very much about the specific wines: both would not be considered very dry wines here at all! Spätlese indicates a wine that was picked later in the year - so had more time to accumulate sugar in the grape. And Liebfraumilch is known as a very sweet wine as well - so much that it became mass marketed and is now considered cheap sweet wine for the masses, even though at one point in time it was a high quality product.

German winemaking has changed considerably in the last 15 years as a lot of wineries were taken over by a younger generation that seems to be more adventurous. Also the climate has become warmer here and in the recent years there has been a trend to more and more red wines being grown. Not only the most common German red, the Spätburgunder (French name is pinot noir), but also Merlot and Shiraz even.

However, one thing I have noticed in the past: German wine sold in Germany is in general drier than the German wine sold abroad, especially in the US.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #134
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
We still have not done the character meet with Phineas and Ferb yet. We hope to get it on our next trip !!
They were really great......funny though they made me put down my coffee cup... I had forgotten all about it since its kind of an appendage to my hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Connor would be happy to welcome Phineas and Ferb into his family, too! LOL!

Great Bo pictures!!! He looks very happy to be getting attention!
They would be great brothers don't you think? I love them too... the show is good because the humor works on so many different levels...

I hope he was pleased to get a little attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
It's easy to feel the love for Bo, isn't it?

It is... Do you think non Disers feel the love too.../

I, too, love pretending I am an animator for 25 minutes.

Pretending is awesome...I like having an active imagination... It keeps my brain going... lol...

Great character pics!

I can totally relate to the continuous beverage in hand - coffee, water, then adult beverage or in any random order.

Yes exactly...like if we were Lego mini figures we'd come with a cup accessory that snapped into the hands...

Can you believe I have yet to go to the Tune In Lounge. Must remedy that in June.

Oh my... you must go... we got some great drinks that night to have while we wondered the Osbourne Lights...

Chairs - a Todd and Paul meet and greet?

Yes and you wouldn't believe the line we had to wait in...

Thanks for the recommendation for the Dandelion - I was looking at that - looks like a winner.
Oh do go there... I'm pretty sure you guys will love it... Great food and drink...awesome atmosphere...
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #135
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
I love the title of this update! Even though I'm an adult, I love Phineas and Ferb! Your son looks so excited to meet them too. The animation academy os one of my favourite things to do, and I forced some family members into it in December And there is nothing wrong with having a drink in hand - you're on vacation!
I don't think Disney actually even realized how popular P & F were originally- I'm so glad they've incorporated them more by having the character meets & the Doofenshmirtz spy Adventures at World Showcase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Writer's Stop is like a haven in DHS. I can't even count the number of times I've been in desperate need of coffee and have spotted this store in the distance. I think they could strictly sell coffee and still keep busy.

It is a haven and you can actually smell the coffee as you approach the door...

The death stares from people in the standby line can be scary at times! They make it seem like you're cutting the line. Ah well, they drop out of your mind the minute you board the ride vehicle and start having fun, anyways.

Yes exactly they look at you like you're doing something illicit... and yes you do forget once you're in your car...

What did you get to draw in Animation Academy? I always enjoy hearing this, because it seems like DISboarders rarely get the same two characters.
We drew Pluto and I loved our CM animator... he had a great dry sense of humor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
So, I read the first full day now. What a day! No wonder you could not face that long line at the end of the day!

Yes too much planned...should not have planned the CP for our first night...

I am really glad that my trips usually are longer trips so I can better resist from falling into the trap of overscheduling. I think the coming trip will be the most relaxed ever as there are very few things that I must do (mainly the new Test Track and New Fantasyland) and I will have 10 days for it - even though we are considering of taking one day to see Kennedy Space Center.

Yes ... and your flight is longer... that takes it out of you too... since you've been to Disney before it is nice to not feel you have to do everything...You should definitely go to KSC

On the German wines: Without knowing very much about the specific wines: both would not be considered very dry wines here at all! Spätlese indicates a wine that was picked later in the year - so had more time to accumulate sugar in the grape. And Liebfraumilch is known as a very sweet wine as well - so much that it became mass marketed and is now considered cheap sweet wine for the masses, even though at one point in time it was a high quality product.

German winemaking has changed considerably in the last 15 years as a lot of wineries were taken over by a younger generation that seems to be more adventurous. Also the climate has become warmer here and in the recent years there has been a trend to more and more red wines being grown. Not only the most common German red, the Spätburgunder (French name is pinot noir), but also Merlot and Shiraz even.

However, one thing I have noticed in the past: German wine sold in Germany is in general drier than the German wine sold abroad, especially in the US.
I know very little about German wines... It's interesting about the various changes in German winemaking... it often takes years to produce something that is really good...

That's ashamed about the over production of Liebfraumilch ruining it... I think that there are lots of smaller producers in California and France and Italy and Germany that work hard to produce a good product...that isn't crazy expensive that people can enjoy as a good day to day wine to have with dinner... you just have to work a little harder to find them...

Also I do think that the modern "prejudice" towards very, very dry wine is a little overdone...(people are being told that dryness in itself is an indication of quality) there are some very fine wines that while not "candy sweet" are a bit sweeter than a very dry chardonnay...for example...there are some nice Loire whites that have a little sweetness and are very nice...

Ok...lol...I'm getting on a tangent...about this...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: