Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #196
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happenin2you View Post
How is Ohana? Is it family style? It interests me, but we haven't made it over there yet. We unfortunately won't be getting back to WDW until 2015 most likely. We are flying to Mexico in March to see my husbands dad's side of the family and next year we are planning to go to Europe to celebrate my finally having graduated from college. Both of those are pretty pricey trips, but it will allow us to save up three years worth of DVC points and have a super amazing vacation at WDW when the time comes. We might go with my husband's family and get them their own room, or we might go by ourselves and book a short cruise afterword. Either way, it will be amazing! Until then, I'll just keep dreaming...
'Ohana is so freaking good! Seriously, it's our must-do on every trip. They serve the salad, appetizers and dessert family style and then bring all the different meats around on a skewer and it's all you can eat. Everything is really yummy.

We have found that we enjoy 'Ohana when we have a later ADR. Earlier in the evening (at more normal dinner times), the restaurant is so busy that dinner can feel a bit rushed. So we now aim for post-fireworks ADRs there and we get to have a lovely, leisurely meal.

Your trips sound AWESOME! Where in Europe are you going to go? We went to Europe in 2011. We started in Prague, then went to London, Paris () and Amsterdam. It was an amazing trip and we can't wait to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashboat View Post
You could make a book with your pictures - just beautiful.
Thank you so, so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I started to read your updates but I got totally distracted when I saw you have a Lunch with an Imagineer booked at Brown Derby...

I've always wanted to do this... but I haven't seen it listed on All Ears recently... and I couldn't find it on Disney's site...

How did you book this?

(I have to make ressies in the middle of this month... for July... & would love to do this...)
I called the Disney Dining line (407-WDW-DINE) and booked it. We're both really excited to try this experience, and I can't wait to report back on it to all of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
What a great morning/afternoon in Epcot!

I love that you had a little DIS meet. I haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone from the DIS in person (except for Teena).

I'm not sure what is more beautiful, the Finding Nemo sculpture made of chocolate or the cup of liquid chocolate. It's nice that you didn't need to pick just one.
Dis meets are so much fun! This one was great because we'd been messaging and emailing back and forth almost constantly for seven months. It was nice to put a real face to the online voice.

There was lots of chocolate fun to be had, it was an awesome addition to F&W this year.

Quote:
So far, the F&W treats look yummy. I'm a very adventurous and enthusiastic eater, so this would be right up my alley!

Awesome pictures inside the plaza of Mexico. I think I may have said earlier in the report that to me, this plaza is one of the most beautiful places in Epcot. And more so, with the addition of La Cava (The Ditch).

Margaritas- for you something fruity. If it was me, I would be going for the passionfruit (I think they have that). Franklin goes for the jalapeno?
The funny thing is, I've only just become a more adventurous eater in the past couple of years. But F&W is perfect because it lets you try little bits of all these new things!

Our dirty little secret is that was our first time actually INSIDE the Mexican pavilion. We loved it in there, and there will definitely be a return visit this month!

Ding, ding, ding! You nailed Franklin's order. Mine wasn't fruity though, any other guesses everyone???

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Isn't it cool that you can say you're getting married this year?!! I'm so happy for both of you

Loved Franklin's Soarin' video - really feels like you're there and makes me want to go back to WDW soon (probably not til 2014).
We're so excited too! Thank you so much! Franklin was pretty proud of how well the Soarin' video turned out.

2014 will come sooner than you think, it's just next year, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Fun update! How cool that you got to have a DIS meet!

I'm sorry... drinking chocolate? That is blowing my mind right now.

Love the pin! Figment is adorable.

AHHHHHH, perfect last night dinner choice! 'Ohana is my absolute FAVORITE.
The drinking chocolate pretty much blew Franklin's mind too! I looooove my Figment pin, I practically squealed when I saw it!

'Ohana is totally perfect, I love it!

Quote:
Just read your plans for Thursday and Friday (last day). Wow, that was a quick trip!

Great start at Boma!

Love the pictures you posted from Animal Kingdom. I've noticed in many trip reports that the male lion is out and about a lot more than in the past. That is one fantastic picture of him!

for Le Cellier*

for more Wishes

And of course MK is the right place to wrap up a trip!
That's my fear, that all trips shorter than 10 days will now feel way too short!

Quote:
New Year's Eve- pretty boring in our household. I went to bed around 10, but I did wake up at 11:40, so I came downstairs, put on the tv. Ben had fallen asleep on the couch and with 20 seconds to go, I woke him to watch the ball drop. He didn't remember me waking him until I mentioned it this morning.

I would really love to visit Disney this summer, mid-July (after I win the Disney Times Sweepstake). Ideally, a week long trip with 2-3 days at Universal/IoA followed by several days at Disney.
We had a super-low key New Year's. We've reached that point in life where our friends have all started to have kids. And two of them couldn't find a babysitter, so we all just went to their house and hung out. Lots of champagne, wine and the best of friends. Basically it was the perfect night.

Yay! A possible summer trip (and a big sweepstakes victory, right?)! Sounds like the perfect mix of Disney and the Dark Side. And I give you credit for surviving Disney in the summertime, it's so hot! But you guys are total troopers.

Quote:

* Speaking of Le Cellier

My family was out for lunch yesterday, we were seated behind two couples who were discussing their recent trip to Disney

"We ate at the steakhouse in France. We had to make reservations 2 months in advance and we still had to wait forever for our table"

"We didn't like our $30 plate of spaghetti in Italy"

My family gave me that "Don't you dare say anything" look
Hahahaha, it would have KILLED me not to say something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
I seriously cannot get enough of your pictures! SO gorgeous! I love the figment pin too. I have a picture of me with figment and the dreamfinder from when I was only 3 or 4 years old and I will always treasure it
Awwww, I found a couple of albums full of Disney photos from when I was a kid. Such wonderful memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
Drinking chocolate? Awesome

Yay for 2013 weddings! We're getting married 10/6/13.
Awwww, congrats! I just stumbled on your TR yesterday! We're getting married on 10/19/2013, so just after you!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #197
SweetSerenity
Wishing Upon a Star

I'm joining in a bit late, but congratulations on your engagement! I hope you enjoy planning your wedding. Franklin's photos are stunning, and I look forward to both reading and seeing more!
February, 2010: Pop Century- The 50's
September, 2010: Port Orleans Riverside
Tie Your Napkin 'Round Your Neck, Cherie-First Dining Report
I Was Starting to Think Wishing on Stars was for Babies and Crazy People- TR
This Gonna Be Good- Second Dining Report

SweetSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #198
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

I've been reading along, but just found time to post now.

I love all of your cute themed disney outfits!

Food and wine looks so good and I always think about planning a trip for that time of year.

I vote that you got the avocado marg, that one seems super popular!
blabbermouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #199
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Just watched the Soarin' video. So great! Thanks for posting.

Watching it just made the stress of the day, melt away!

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR Ė with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
JanetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #200
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Picture me with my hand waving wildly in the air. I want to be in Epcot right now! Me! Me! Me!

I'm not sure I could drink a candy bar. I can barely eat them, too sweet for me!

Love the plans for AK day!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #201
happenin2you
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Missyrose;47062619][CENTER]

'Ohana is so freaking good! Seriously, it's our must-do on every trip. They serve the salad, appetizers and dessert family style and then bring all the different meats around on a skewer and it's all you can eat. Everything is really yummy.

We have found that we enjoy 'Ohana when we have a later ADR. Earlier in the evening (at more normal dinner times), the restaurant is so busy that dinner can feel a bit rushed. So we now aim for post-fireworks ADRs there and we get to have a lovely, leisurely meal.

Your trips sound AWESOME! Where in Europe are you going to go? We went to Europe in 2011. We started in Prague, then went to London, Paris () and Amsterdam. It was an amazing trip and we can't wait to go back.

Oh! Ohana does sound amazing! I'll have to add that to our list for our next trip. Thanks for the tip on when to go. I hate being rushed, although it seems to be the standard with Disney Dining.

For our Eurotrip, we'll probably take a Mediterranean cruise. The ones we've looked at stop in places like Barcelona, Florence/ Pisa, Rome, Nice, Croatia, Venice, Naples. I did something similar a few years ago, but that was before my husband. We are super excited to get to share these experiences. I'd really like to get to Paris, London, and Ireland, but we'll probably wait on those until the next time.
happenin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #202
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSerenity View Post
I'm joining in a bit late, but congratulations on your engagement! I hope you enjoy planning your wedding. Franklin's photos are stunning, and I look forward to both reading and seeing more!
You're not late at all, thanks for joining in! Wedding plans are rolling right along. We started the design process for our save-the-date cards and invitations. Next up is a showdown with my dad over how many of his friends he wants to invite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
I've been reading along, but just found time to post now.

I love all of your cute themed disney outfits!

Food and wine looks so good and I always think about planning a trip for that time of year.

I vote that you got the avocado marg, that one seems super popular!
Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! I do love putting together my Disney outfits. I just got another order of bows, which wouldn't fit in the box I had them all in. So I had to get a bigger box!

Food and Wine is so much fun, it has become our absolute favorite time to go to Disney.

Good guess with the avocado margarita, but no dice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
Just watched the Soarin' video. So great! Thanks for posting.

Watching it just made the stress of the day, melt away!
Glad you enjoyed the virtual flight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Picture me with my hand waving wildly in the air. I want to be in Epcot right now! Me! Me! Me!

I'm not sure I could drink a candy bar. I can barely eat them, too sweet for me!

Love the plans for AK day!
I want to be in Epcot too!!! Three weeks from right now, we'll be checking into our "home" Boardwalk. And since we are three weeks out, it's time to start the countdown. I'll put the first entry up later today!

[QUOTE=happenin2you;47085849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Oh! Ohana does sound amazing! I'll have to add that to our list for our next trip. Thanks for the tip on when to go. I hate being rushed, although it seems to be the standard with Disney Dining.

For our Eurotrip, we'll probably take a Mediterranean cruise. The ones we've looked at stop in places like Barcelona, Florence/ Pisa, Rome, Nice, Croatia, Venice, Naples. I did something similar a few years ago, but that was before my husband. We are super excited to get to share these experiences. I'd really like to get to Paris, London, and Ireland, but we'll probably wait on those until the next time.
You really should try 'Ohana. And don't let the mixed reviews on the restaurants board fool you, we've been three times and never had a bad meal!

The Eurotrip sounds amazing. I really wanted to include Italy on our trip, but decided that country needed its own trip, so one day we'll get there.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Old 01-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #203
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Favorite Disney restaurants: No. 21

Favorite Disney Restaurants

No. 21 -- Sci-Fi Dine-In

Hereís the Godís honest truth, the CS locations at Disneyís Hollywood Studios really, really stink. So you wonít ever find us planning for a CS meal at that park. Itís TS or bust for us there.

Sci-Fi Dine-In is a really fun restaurant. The food is mainly burgers-type fare.

But the real stars of the show are the shakes and desserts...

Ö and, of course, the really awesome atmosphere.

I mean where else on Earth can you eat dinner at a table, in a car, at a drive-in movie theater?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #204
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

We love Sci-Fi, and eat there every trip.

The food is only okay, but the atmosphere is so great. Good fun!

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR Ė with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
JanetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #205
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Love Boma for breakfast... (Also love the AKL)... can't even imagine all the awesome photos he'll get while you're there...

(Speaking of Photos...Franklin's info on the Canon s110... has me on the lookout... I'm pretty convinced it would be a great camera for me...I need to track one down in the area...which I'm sure will be easy enough... I want it by next month... February- so I can nail the instruction manual in time for our Spring Break in March in Rome...and then for Charleston, Savannah & Disney, etc. in July...) SO BIG thanks for the tip...

Did you go for the Avocado Margarita? I had one... it was good but it was sweet... I believe it has Midori in it? Something more savory?

If you go for bluezoo... have to hear all about that... have read awesome things about it...

I really love Sci Fi... it's its own attraction, great atmosphere, great film clips, very good burgers and shakes... It's just a lot of fun... (I don't go there for the "foodie" in me... but the burgers and shakes do satisfy... you go there for the entire "experience"

You're right about the CS in the Studios; kind of limited...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #206
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Why ARE the CS options so bad at DHS?? Totally agree with you that TS is the way to go in that park with a lot of good options. As always you have some fantastic pictures. My one experience with Sci Fi wasn't great in terms of service but I just may need to give it another shot. LOVE the atmosphere! And tough to beat a good burger!

2xcited2sleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #207
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I totally agree with you about Hollywood Studios. The best CS in HS is in EPCOT!

Sci Fi has been our go-to lunch the past few times on trips to HS, or if we are leaving around lunch time, we just hop onto a Friendship Boat and don't stop until we get to the International Gateway.

I have to say, though, that hands down the nastiest thing I have ever eaten at Disney is the shrimp pasta at the Sci Fi. And I got no sympathy from my family... "WHY did you order shrimp at a burger place?"

I don't know, but learn from my mistake. Stick with the burgers or sandwiches.
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #208
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
We love Sci-Fi, and eat there every trip.

The food is only okay, but the atmosphere is so great. Good fun!
We feel the same way. The food is so-so, but the restaurant is so much fun!

Quote:
Love Boma for breakfast... (Also love the AKL)... can't even imagine all the awesome photos he'll get while you're there...

(Speaking of Photos...Franklin's info on the Canon s110... has me on the lookout... I'm pretty convinced it would be a great camera for me...I need to track one down in the area...which I'm sure will be easy enough... I want it by next month... February- so I can nail the instruction manual in time for our Spring Break in March in Rome...and then for Charleston, Savannah & Disney, etc. in July...) SO BIG thanks for the tip...
We have become BIG fans of AKL... and Boma! And I guarantee his photos of AKL will knock your socks off. You know, assuming I get a move on with this TR!

Quote:
Did you go for the Avocado Margarita? I had one... it was good but it was sweet... I believe it has Midori in it? Something more savory?

If you go for bluezoo... have to hear all about that... have read awesome things about it...
Great guess on the margarita, but no dice. Anyone else have any other guesses?

That Bluezoo ADR is set in stone for the January trip. I'm pretty sure it will end up being Franklin's favorite Disney restaurant and his new must-do on every trip.

Quote:
I really love Sci Fi... it's its own attraction, great atmosphere, great film clips, very good burgers and shakes... It's just a lot of fun... (I don't go there for the "foodie" in me... but the burgers and shakes do satisfy... you go there for the entire "experience"

You're right about the CS in the Studios; kind of limited...
Trust me, the burgers and shakes totally pass muster with me. There are just other Disney restaurants that have slightly more creative menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Why ARE the CS options so bad at DHS?? Totally agree with you that TS is the way to go in that park with a lot of good options. As always you have some fantastic pictures. My one experience with Sci Fi wasn't great in terms of service but I just may need to give it another shot. LOVE the atmosphere! And tough to beat a good burger!
I don't know why they haven't done ANYTHING to fix the CS at DHS. All the other parks have much more interesting CS choices.

Quote:
I totally agree with you about Hollywood Studios. The best CS in HS is in EPCOT!

Sci Fi has been our go-to lunch the past few times on trips to HS, or if we are leaving around lunch time, we just hop onto a Friendship Boat and don't stop until we get to the International Gateway.
Hahaha, love it! I'm with you on the outlook for DHS meals. There are just so many more options anywhere along the Friendship Boat path, the resorts, the World Showcase, anything would be a better choice!

Quote:
I have to say, though, that hands down the nastiest thing I have ever eaten at Disney is the shrimp pasta at the Sci Fi. And I got no sympathy from my family... "WHY did you order shrimp at a burger place?"

I don't know, but learn from my mistake. Stick with the burgers or sandwiches.
This is basically the golden rule of Sci-Fi, stick with what they're good at. But everyone should know that Dee is the one who taught me the most important thing about Sci-Fi... you should never, EVER leave without having dessert. Namely the sundae. Trust me, it might be the best advice I ever impart to you.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #209
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Where were we? Ah yes, the countdown! We started this back before the NFL playoffs began, the Redskins' prized QB blew out his knee and my work life dissolved into chaos. Having the entire world interested in the local team is amazing for Web traffic, it's just a lot of freaking work.

In more exciting wedding news, Franklin and I met with the stationer to start the design process for the save the dates and invitations. The person we're working with does all custom work. So we just sat there and she brought out dozens upon dozens of past work she had done and we figured out what parts we liked and what we didn't like. Now she'll take that information and create some design choices for us. I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

But enough about me, I've kept you in suspense for DAYS about what comes next on the countdown, so let's make up some ground!

20. Flame Tree Barbecue

This was a new restaurant for us on our last trip, so this will serve as kind of sneak peek for that day in the TR. Flame Tree has, hands down, the best ribs Iíve ever had at Disney.

The seating area is simply gorgeous and Flame Tree even takes the Tables in Wonderland discount card.

19. Crystal Palace

For those of you who arenít familiar, Crystal Palace is a character meal with Winnie the Pooh and friends at Magic Kingdom.

Not only does it have some of the cutest characters in the World.

It also has some of the best breakfast foods weíve ever had at Disney.

The cheesey potatoes, seen at the bottom of this plate...

Ö are delicious, seriously, we could have made an entire meal out of them. And my favorite was the puffed french toast, which they graciously made for me without cinnamon.

18. Chefs de France

Chefs de France is another restaurant that has many fans and almost as many that have sworn off it forever. We fall into the fan category, we had a really lovely lunch there. Maybe itís because weíve tended to go at lower(ish) crowd times, but we havenít had many of the same problems with some of the mixed-review restaurants at Disney. But I digress, back to the French restaurant.

Whether itís the appetizers...

Ö or the main courses...

Ö or dessert,

everything was really tasty. And Chefs de France is one of the prettiest restaurants in all of Disney World!

17. Cape May Cafe

We ate here last March when we came to Disney with Franklinís family. Franklin and his sister LOVE seafood, so this buffet was right up their alley.

I donít know how much of a rush Iím in to go back for dinner though, now that my two favorite things from the buffet, the ribs...

Ö and the Oreo Bon Bons,

are no longer on the menu. But maybe weíll try breakfast next time!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #210
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

16. Kona

Weíve been to Kona once for dinner, back on our first trip to Disney together and the food was delicious. But the really star meal for us has always been breakfast. Itís Franklinís one must-do breakfast at Disney.

His go-to order is, of course, the Tonga Toast.

I typically get the Big Kahuna platter.

The restaurant isnít exactly the most original in terms of Disney decor, but the food more than makes up for it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: