Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #31
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

I'm going to add this on top of my current savings plan. Right now I have $30 taken directly out of my paycheck and put in to savings so I never actually "see" it. If I don't see it, I don't miss it! Then, at the end of every week, if I have anything left (doesn't happen often TBH) I throw that in savings as well. I'm trying to save up a little bit for university next fall.

I'm definitely going to start at the lower end. I work retail and while I had amazing hours these past couple pf weeks, I've been dropped to 12 for the next two! I'm hoping that when school starts back up again I can get the extra shifts the students are leaving behind, and only a little while before those spring hours pick up again! But I can definitely do the $1 -$10 a week without any problem.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #32
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee
I love the reverse idea!! I might do that!

Or I thought I could hang up the chart on the fridge and maybe skip around amounts, crossing out the weeks/amounts as I "use" them. That way if I could only come up with- say- $40 dollars one week, I could cross out the $40 week, leaving the smaller amounts for harder weeks and using the higher amounts for easier weeks.

I am going to use a cookie jar
I like this idea. If not during the end that's a lot to save. Easier to even it up a bit.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #33
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
I think it would be easier to have your bank pull $27 out of your checking acct every week & put it into savings - actually maybe do 30 so it is easier to figure your acct - then you don't have to think about it & it is done
I started doing this 12 years ago. It started at $25 a week. When I could, I would increase it with promotions and raises. I am now at $60 a week and it truly is my mad money. It is an auto-deposit into an account that does not have an ATM card attached to it. If I want the money, I have to go into the bank during bank hours.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #34
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee
You may have seen this going around social media today, but this is as social media as I get so I wanted to share and see who wants to try it?
I saw this today and started, but I back tracked to Dec 1 as wk 1. Because I would like to use this money for our Disney Trip Dec 7th,2012.
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #35
Ccann
Mouseketeer

I saw this on FB today... I printed it out and it's on my frig. We are Cruising DCL Dec7th. So I back tracked my 1st week to the 1st week of Dec. I have $21.00 in a huge jar... This is where we have our loose change as well.

This year we started to work off of cash and have found our money goes further. We have BOA with keep the change program connected to our acct but I find myself or my DH transferring money over from our savings. Defeats the purpose .

From sept to Dec we collected over $200 in change in our jar. So for this I think for cash users this might be do able. I would be interested to see how far I can get especially adding loose change to it as well.

Here's to saving money and many new Disney Adventures for 2013...
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #36
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypage View Post
I'm definitely going to start at the lower end. I work retail and while I had amazing hours these past couple pf weeks, I've been dropped to 12 for the next two! I'm hoping that when school starts back up again I can get the extra shifts the students are leaving behind, and only a little while before those spring hours pick up again! But I can definitely do the $1 -$10 a week without any problem.
12 hours a week kind of sounds nice right now. I worked 11 hours today and I'm going in Sat and Sun. No OT for tomorrow either because of the holiday

I hear ya on the short checks though. That stinks.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #37
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

I do like the reverse idea. I NEVER have enough $ for Christmas... lol

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #38
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
12 hours a week kind of sounds nice right now. I worked 11 hours today and I'm going in Sat and Sun. No OT for tomorrow either because of the holiday

I hear ya on the short checks though. That stinks.
I do have to admit, for the first week or two its going to be nice. We just got finished with the Christmas rush where we would work 10 hour days (No OT because of our breaks) and even when I was scheduled to get of at midnight I was lucky to be out by 1. I can definitely use the break, but check being less then half of what I'm used to will be hard!

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #39
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3
Looks easy! I'm in! Thanks for sharing!!
Just saw this. I think I can do it too. I'm i ;0)

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #40
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccann View Post
I saw this today and started, but I back tracked to Dec 1 as wk 1. Because I would like to use this money for our Disney Trip Dec 7th,2012.
I like this idea because we leave for WDW on Thanksgiving Day this year. I'm going to start today and do it in reverse

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #41
MickeySP
DIS Veteran

I like this idea too. Think I will add this to the saving idea with a twist. I plan on getting one of those giant plastic banks you can't open, the ones yo have to cut t get the change.

Get the equivalent in change each week and save it there. My CU has free coin counter so I am thinking it works for me.

We also opened Vacation & Xmas club accounts, like the had when I was a kid. We each through in 50 a week - nice bump in May(vacation club) and October(Xmas club)
MickeySP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #42
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I think that if you can find a way to save $52 on the last week of the year-- the week right after Christmas-- it would probably be easier to just save $30 every single week. At the end of the year you would have over $1500.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

I saw this too & one person posted they are going to do it daily. Not double the amount each day but start over with $1 each first of the month, so the most they would put in is $31 at the end of the month and then start over again with $1, etc... I thought that was an interesting way to do it.

I also like the reverse part too since I know that would definitely work better for us. It is true, most people are very motivated when they start and then as the numbers start added up, it seems harder to put those away vs. $1.

We are always scrambling to find money come December and it isn't just because of Christmas. We get whopped with some bigger semi-annual bills the first week of Jan., so in Dec. we are scrambling to have money for that (OK..I guess if we were doing this we would have this money saved to take care of it).

Plus my DH doesn't get paid for holidays -- so over Thanksgiving he loses 2 days/pay over Christmas he loses 2 days/pay and we have to scramble to make up for those.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypage View Post
I'm going to add this on top of my current savings plan. Right now I have $30 taken directly out of my paycheck and put in to savings so I never actually "see" it. If I don't see it, I don't miss it! Then, at the end of every week, if I have anything left (doesn't happen often TBH) I throw that in savings as well. I'm trying to save up a little bit for university next fall.

I totally hear you. I was scheduled for 8 hours this week. Next week's schedule only goes to Tuesday & I'm not on the schedule for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday so far. I don't see it being a good week either. For me, I think it would be easier to just deposit the same amount each week.

disney1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #45
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

I am glad I came across this post. I want to try it also. Here's hoping nothing comes up...

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: