Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #1936
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

I just bought some pins from disneymee and dizkneepinz.
Both for the same exact sets but at different prices.
disneymee had it for almost double the price and the items were shipped quickly along with original baggies (pins I bought was PWP).

dizkneepinz were cheaper (I won an auction) but the pins did not come in individual baggies.

Both sets look authentic to me.
I couldn't see any obvious scrapper signs on them. If they are then they are extremely good scrapper manufacturer.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #1937
RCEliot
Earning My Ears

Results of my pin orders

So I got my pin orders in from domimgood and main.street.mania.

From what I can tell, these are my results in looking for brush strokes, dimples, wrong colours, etc. using pinpics.

main.street.mania:
13 Fake pins
11 Real pins
1 that I couldn't find in the pinpics database.

domimgood (aka DIZZneY4PINS)
3 Fake pins
17 Real pins

With domimgood it seems to be a luck of the draw (or his quality has increased as of late, since he hasn't had as many complaints as of late.)

I'll be reverifying these pins with a group of my friends who work at Disney (and with some of their friends who have been there a lot longer) to make sure I got this right, but to me it seems that with lots from people who claim to trade (which they may buy the scrappers, trade for real ones, and then send a mix of reals and fakes) it's just luck of the draw for what you get.
RCEliot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #1938
nugov2
DIS Veteran

This is a great thread. I had no idea about fakes. I was more concerned about getting badly scratched pins in these auctions. I have a question....I was going to buy a couple of smaller lots on ebay. I want to start each of my kids with about 20-30 pins. I am not going to research each pin I buy to see if it is real or fake, but will send them back if I see any of the signs described(I already emailed seller for some pics of front and backs). If I do get some fakes...what happens if you try to trade them at Disney? Will they just refuse to trade with the kids or will they trade and just discard the fake. I wanted to get my kids a good number to start with, but do not want them to not be traded with if they turn out to be fake.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #1939
SupernaturalMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post
This is a great thread. I had no idea about fakes. I was more concerned about getting badly scratched pins in these auctions. I have a question....I was going to buy a couple of smaller lots on ebay. I want to start each of my kids with about 20-30 pins. I am not going to research each pin I buy to see if it is real or fake, but will send them back if I see any of the signs described(I already emailed seller for some pics of front and backs). If I do get some fakes...what happens if you try to trade them at Disney? Will they just refuse to trade with the kids or will they trade and just discard the fake. I wanted to get my kids a good number to start with, but do not want them to not be traded with if they turn out to be fake.
Disney will take them... Sadly they have to. That is why so many people trade and end up with scrappers from their trade. It's all a catch 22... Some Disney employees aren't educated about scrappers. They trade because it is a part of their job. Many of them sell on the side to supplement their income so they are generally more experienced about scrappers but they have to trade with you anyway if it meets the Disney criteria of having the correct backstamp and not being a sedesma or propin (although I think the propin rule has changed again). So, your kids will be able to trade them even if they are scrappers, but in turn, they may end up with scrappers for their trade. Disney does try to switch them out occasionally. On my most recent visit to Old Key West, in the gift shop they had a life preserver that they had pins on that you could trade and when I was there they were pulling off everything they thought was fake and replacing it with new stock fresh from Disney that were legit pins.

There are a lot of people new to trading that aren't educated about scrappers who buy large lots from eBay to trade and then they all wind up on the cast member lanyards. The first several lots I bought on eBay years ago were like that and I hadn't even heard of scrappers, but once I got educated, I started being much more cautious about my purchases. I refuse to deal with scrappers because I don't want to make the problem worse. Some people just don't care, and others really don't care because they intentionally buy scrappers to trade for good pins to sell off for a higher price... aka domimgood.

And, of course, no matter how educated you are, and regardless of whether you work for Disney or not, no one can be 100% positive in all situations because some of the scrappers actually look better than the legit pins. I was just going through my pins last night and I have an Aurora pin bought at Disney still on its original card and for the first time I noticed a spot on the pin where it looks as though the paint fell off and someone tried to paint it back on. The color doesn't quite match and it isn't between the lines. It goes right over the metal separating lines between the colors. Don't know how I didn't notice that before.

Good luck. You ca always find cheap pins on eBay still new on card if you are willing to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.50 to $2.00 per pin.
SupernaturalMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #1940
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupernaturalMommy View Post
Disney will take them... Sadly they have to. That is why so many people trade and end up with scrappers from their trade. It's all a catch 22... Some Disney employees aren't educated about scrappers. They trade because it is a part of their job. Many of them sell on the side to supplement their income so they are generally more experienced about scrappers but they have to trade with you anyway if it meets the Disney criteria of having the correct backstamp and not being a sedesma or propin (although I think the propin rule has changed again). So, your kids will be able to trade them even if they are scrappers, but in turn, they may end up with scrappers for their trade. Disney does try to switch them out occasionally. On my most recent visit to Old Key West, in the gift shop they had a life preserver that they had pins on that you could trade and when I was there they were pulling off everything they thought was fake and replacing it with new stock fresh from Disney that were legit pins.

There are a lot of people new to trading that aren't educated about scrappers who buy large lots from eBay to trade and then they all wind up on the cast member lanyards. The first several lots I bought on eBay years ago were like that and I hadn't even heard of scrappers, but once I got educated, I started being much more cautious about my purchases. I refuse to deal with scrappers because I don't want to make the problem worse. Some people just don't care, and others really don't care because they intentionally buy scrappers to trade for good pins to sell off for a higher price... aka domimgood.

And, of course, no matter how educated you are, and regardless of whether you work for Disney or not, no one can be 100% positive in all situations because some of the scrappers actually look better than the legit pins. I was just going through my pins last night and I have an Aurora pin bought at Disney still on its original card and for the first time I noticed a spot on the pin where it looks as though the paint fell off and someone tried to paint it back on. The color doesn't quite match and it isn't between the lines. It goes right over the metal separating lines between the colors. Don't know how I didn't notice that before.

Good luck. You ca always find cheap pins on eBay still new on card if you are willing to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.50 to $2.00 per pin.
Thanks. $2 is still reasonable, considering the new price. I am assuming they are going to want a few new ones once we are there, but I think it will be more about the fun of trading. I just don't want to be inspecting my pins with a fine tooth comb to make sure they are legit. I am glad there is a list posted because that helps to avoid some problems.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #1941
RCEliot
Earning My Ears

Quote:
And, of course, no matter how educated you are, and regardless of whether you work for Disney or not, no one can be 100% positive in all situations because some of the scrappers actually look better than the legit pins.
See, that's why with the lots I got yesterday I'm going to have several people who work at Disney take a look and I'm trying to get in touch with one of my relatives who trades pins on a regular basis. So many of them look exactly the same (colour is correct, no dimples or obvious brush strokes, etc.) and a few I got are the same ones I bought brand new at Disney Quest and side-by-side they look identical. They could be really good fakes, they could be real, but there are really really good fakes of stuff out there.

The pins I want to trade and sell are all ones I've bought personally at Disney. The only time I will trade any that I didn't buy is when I've got a solid opinion from everyone I have inspect the pin. Otherwise they're just for me to have Disney stuff around.

long babbling post

TL;DR I won't trade any I get on Ebay unless enough people give me the okay. Only going to trade ones I know are real. Probably will only trade with other traders because the Disney cast may not know the difference between real and fake.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #1942
RCEliot
Earning My Ears

Shanwendy?

Has anyone had any dealings with Shanwendy? She's selling 50 pins for (typically) $25 to start and then lets it go up from there, but some of her auctions start at nearly $10 and I found one starting at $0.99. Thinking that one may be a typo, I went ahead and bid on it (since it's cheap anyways) and if I win I'm going to check the pins thoroughly and let my friends see them, but I'm going to assume that since she's starting them at around $.50 per pin on most of her auctions that they are scrappers. (She doesn't have any neutral or negative feedback yet.)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #1943
SupernaturalMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCEliot View Post
Has anyone had any dealings with Shanwendy? She's selling 50 pins for (typically) $25 to start and then lets it go up from there, but some of her auctions start at nearly $10 and I found one starting at $0.99. Thinking that one may be a typo, I went ahead and bid on it (since it's cheap anyways) and if I win I'm going to check the pins thoroughly and let my friends see them, but I'm going to assume that since she's starting them at around $.50 per pin on most of her auctions that they are scrappers. (She doesn't have any neutral or negative feedback yet.)
My personal opinion? I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. That doesn't mean you won't get great pins. You may. But, the photo they are using is one full of pins known to be scrappers. Also, the whole "tradeable and traded for at Disney" line is one often used by scrappers... they guarantee them to be tradeable, they don't guarantee them to be authentic. Lastly, selling multiple lots and saying if you get over 50 you WILL get duplicates is a good indication, at least when you are buying the pins that cheaply. Who can afford to sell 50 pins starting at $.99 if they are legit? Obviously they are hoping they will get bid up, but if they don't, they are out 50 pins and eBay leaves them with a big fat bill for more than what they got paid. Plus, they are coming with free shipping from China... don't know if you noticed that part or not. It will cost them more than they make to ship it.

Now, granted the part about possibly getting duplicates if you buy over 50 doesn't equate to scrappers. I have that in my blind lot wording, but mine are for all new on card. I have hundreds of unique pins on card but I put that in there to cover my butt in case some reseller decides to come in and buy up my whole supply at once. I don't want to have a negative feedback for putting a duplicate in.

If you are just looking for traders without wanting to risk scrappers, my (very wordy) two cents is to stick with US sellers who advertise new on card pins. There are tons of them. A lot of us have posted about them on this thread over the last 10 pages or so. If you don't mind taking the risk and you want to go with loose pins, try to go for the what you see is what you get route instead of stock photos. They usually have better outcomes. And, you can often find fun pins that you actually want to add to your collection, not just stuff to trade. I recently bought from cuquicollectibles (or whatever it was) and although I had issues with some parts of the transaction, I did get some cute pins that my kids were thrilled with and was able to finish off some of my mystery pin sets.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #1944
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupernaturalMommy View Post
My personal opinion? I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. That doesn't mean you won't get great pins. You may. But, the photo they are using is one full of pins known to be scrappers. Also, the whole "tradeable and traded for at Disney" line is one often used by scrappers... they guarantee them to be tradeable, they don't guarantee them to be authentic. Lastly, selling multiple lots and saying if you get over 50 you WILL get duplicates is a good indication, at least when you are buying the pins that cheaply. Who can afford to sell 50 pins starting at $.99 if they are legit? Obviously they are hoping they will get bid up, but if they don't, they are out 50 pins and eBay leaves them with a big fat bill for more than what they got paid. Plus, they are coming with free shipping from China... don't know if you noticed that part or not. It will cost them more than they make to ship it.

Now, granted the part about possibly getting duplicates if you buy over 50 doesn't equate to scrappers. I have that in my blind lot wording, but mine are for all new on card. I have hundreds of unique pins on card but I put that in there to cover my butt in case some reseller decides to come in and buy up my whole supply at once. I don't want to have a negative feedback for putting a duplicate in.

If you are just looking for traders without wanting to risk scrappers, my (very wordy) two cents is to stick with US sellers who advertise new on card pins. There are tons of them. A lot of us have posted about them on this thread over the last 10 pages or so. If you don't mind taking the risk and you want to go with loose pins, try to go for the what you see is what you get route instead of stock photos. They usually have better outcomes. And, you can often find fun pins that you actually want to add to your collection, not just stuff to trade. I recently bought from cuquicollectibles (or whatever it was) and although I had issues with some parts of the transaction, I did get some cute pins that my kids were thrilled with and was able to finish off some of my mystery pin sets.
ITA!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #1945
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

wdwmagic1928 is another seller to watch out for. I was going to buy pins from them but asked about feedback they have recieved as there has been negative feedback saying they weer selling scrappers of Soda Fountain pins. I told them I would leave negative feedbacks if the pins i recieved were fake and they said they don't want my business.
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #1946
SupernaturalMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
wdwmagic1928 is another seller to watch out for. I was going to buy pins from them but asked about feedback they have recieved as there has been negative feedback saying they weer selling scrappers of Soda Fountain pins. I told them I would leave negative feedbacks if the pins i recieved were fake and they said they don't want my business.
Let me prefice this by saying I am not sticking up for this seller, nor would I buy from them. I agree with your assessment but for different reasons. I am only posting this response to give deeper insight for someone who may be new.

I wouldn't go by that feedback in and of itself. Sometimes you need to dig a little deeper. Three of the comments were from the same buyer and eBay removed one of them, which they rarely do unless a buyer has abused the system and the seller can prove it. Then with the other feedback, one negative was for a slow ship and one was for a package that went overseas that was opened (which sadly does happen). And, one was from a person who wanted to do the transaction outside eBay. Compare that to the 2,261 positive feedback and almost 5 perfect stars and I would sooner try them before I judge, if I had not dug deeper that is.

All that being said, the part that would concern me most is all of the Disneyshopping pins they have advertised as being not new or on card back with low LE's, as well as the HKDL and Disney Soda Fountain pins. If you look at their sold items over the last 15 days with advanced search, they have sold the same exact pins over and over and over. That is more telling to me than the feedback. It looks like they have around 200 varieties of pins and they just keep re-listing and re-listing each of them as individual pins, and since they keep selling repeatedly, they are most likely scrappers.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #1947
RCEliot
Earning My Ears

The problem I'm having right now is I've got these scrappers now, and I don't want to trade them and contribute to the problem, none of my friends collect, and I don't have any kids/young cousins that would like them. I can't list them on Ebay without getting put on a list as a scrapper seller and I would get negative feedback, but what can I do with them? List them and put in the description that they were bought from another ebayer and are definitely scrappers? That would still get me listed. I can't afford to throw them out, though. As it was I shouldn't have bought them but I love Disney stuff, just not the particular characters and pins I got... and some of the ones I don't want seem to be completely real too.

Last edited by RCEliot; 01-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #1948
SupernaturalMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The problem I'm having right now is I've got these scrappers now, and I don't want to trade them and contribute to the problem, none of my friends collect, and I don't have any kids/young cousins that would like them. I can't list them on Ebay without getting put on a list as a scrapper seller and I would get negative feedback, but what can I do with them? List them and put in the description that they were bought from another ebayer and are definitely scrappers? That would still get me listed. I can't afford to throw them out, though. As it was I shouldn't have bought them but I love Disney stuff, just not the particular characters and pins I got... and some of the ones I don't want seem to be completely real too.

Some suggestions... I have scrappers in my collection. Most I obtained before I knew what scrappers were and I am just stuck with them for the same reasons as you... don't want to contribute to the scrapper problem and can't sell them without negative feedback which no one wants.

Some of mine I keep in my collection as "place holders" until I can get my hands on the authentic pin.

How long ago did you buy them? You may be able to utilize eBay or Paypal buyer protection... check their rules for the time limits (I don't remember what they are offhand.) Even if the seller says no returns, eBay's policy is that the seller HAS TO accept returns no matter what their stated policy is. A lot of buyers don't know that. But, you only have 14 days for that and you will have to pay return postage.

Do you do any crafting? Some people use them in various forms of crafts... there are all sorts of things you can do with them if you want to take the time. One of the most common ones is scrapbooking.

A friend of mine takes his to a metal recycling place and has them melted down. Not sure how much money he gets for it... not much I am sure... but he just had a huge batch melted down.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #1949
Emerson613
Mouseketeer

So Bummed

Totally never even thought about fakes.....saw a pin in the lot I just purchased that seemed like plastic almost.... did some research and sure enough I have a bag of fakes!

The ebay seller is Disney.Crazy
Emerson613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #1950
sixteen
Earning My Ears

Reply from ebay seller....

I just planned our first trip to DLR and in the excitement of learning about the fun stuff to do there, jumped too quickly on an auction for pins that I thought was a great deal!..... Ah.... Then I researched. Guess who I bought from? 243disneypinfreak..... Great.
So since this was only this morning and maybe it hadn't shipped yet, I decided my best course of action was to email the seller. I questioned where they get these huge amounts of pins to sell, their authenticity, and requested my money back in full if they couldn't give me a good answer to these questions.
I have already based my own judgement of his legitimacy given what I've read on this board, but I thought you might be interested to see his reply:

Hi,

Please understand that I try to sell the best pins available. I get my pins from all kinds of sources that are too numerous to mention. All my pins are official disney pins with pin trading logos and rubber mickey backs. They are 100% guaranteed tradeable at all Disney parks. I have personally traded tens of thousands of my pins and have always been able to trade them. Never had one I could not trade!! I do have a return policy as well, which most other sellers do not. You can look at my feedback of over 6000 and see that I stand behind my pins, so if you are not happy with them, you can return them and i will either swap them out or refund your purchase.

Second, please understand this on what I am saying, not just because I am saying it. This is Disney policy and what the upper levels of Disney have said. They are saying this, not me!! There is absolutely NO one, especially a regular cast member in the parks, or even the managers, who have the authority to tell a guest that any pin is not a true Disney pin. It is actually AGAINST Disney trading policy for ANY cast member to tell you THEIR opinion on whether a pin is "good" or "bad"!!! This is in their training! They are NOT to disrupt and cause any problems. You are the guest, and for them as the cast member to disrupt the pin trading process is COMPLETELY against Disney policy. So when a cast member interjects his/her personal opinion about a pin, they are violating Disney policy and can get reprimanded for it!!! If any cast member tries to tell me their opinion, I tell them they can't because it can get them in trouble. So cast members can NOT tell you that a pin is good or bad. How and why can I say this? Because there is not a way for them to prove that it is not. All Disney pins are made in the same place, so for them to tell you that they are "scrappers" is just not true. Disney knows this so that is why they have that policy in place. The information I have from upper levels of Disney is that Disney considers ANY pin that have disney backstamp, logo and a rubber mickey back an official authentic Disney pin. This is just because they CAN NOT prove in any way that it is not! Further, Disney's policy on pins is that the only way for anyone to know it is a official authentic Disney pin is to buy it DIRECTLY from Disney. It does not make much sense, but in a way it does, because it really is the only thing Disney can say about any pin. So does that mean that any pin that is bought, traded or sold in any other venue than at a Disney park or store is not a official authentic Disney pin?? Well of course not. Are all pins on ebay "scrappers" as they are called?? Of course not!! But that is what Disney wants you to think! Because they want you to buy pins only from them and for much higher prices. Disney hates ebay and people who sell Disney pins in whatever fashion, because it is cutting into the money they make. They would love to get rid of anyone selling pins on ebay.

Most people who buy my pins love them and think they are great. So there is no way a cast member or two can tell you they are not real when they have no ability to say they are not. I have personally bought thousands of pins from Disney and traded for 10s of thousands of more in the parks, so when a cast member tells you that my pins are "scrappers", I take that personally. Not just that they are wrong, but that they just do not have the authority or the capability to make that decision, no matter what they try and tell what might be wrong with the pin. I can go into all the production reasons on how the pins are made, but that is just not necessary. It mainly has to do with quality control. But that is a whole different topic.

So after being longwinded and technical, I am more than willing to do what you want on the pins. If you want to return them, please do and I can either swap them out or refund your purchase. I am more than happy to do what you would like to satisfy you.

Thanks,
Pat Jones
423disneypinfreak
sixteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: