Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
katt789
DIS Veteran

Bring in your own "breakfast" type foods, especially if you have a lot of lite morning eaters! I'll bring in say;
-Clif/Luna or some form of protein/meal replacement bars, apples, even like, meal replacement shakes or something, some kind or carb, etc. Eat it in the hotel while you get ready and it saves both money and time!

Lunches & dinners are a bit harder, you can bring in your food, sandwiches & such, but there's always the temptation of other Disney foods.

My biggest suggestion is: sharing! Or try the kids meals. Portions are generally huge down there, and you can very easily split a QS meal between 2 people.

Instagram:Katt789
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Just to add my money-saving ideas:
  • Eat 2 meals instead of 3 - a late breakfast and an early dinner.
  • Skip desserts.
  • Get a filtered water bottle instead of buying beverages
  • Do appetizers as an entree.
  • Forget the character meals if you want to save money on food.
  • Anything in a combo meal can ordered as a single item instead.
If you have an AP, are a FL resident or own DVC, you can get the Tables in Wonderland card for dining discounts.
If you have a Disney Visa, check the list of perks for dining discounts.
Sometimes you can find Groupons or Restaurant.com offers for discount dining at the DtD and S/D restaurants.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Can you order a kid's meal if you aren't a kid? We were going to do quick service meals, not into the table meals. Her request is that we eat at T-rex cafe. Thinking of ordering a sharing app there and going somewhere else for dinner. I couldn't believe it was $16 for a hamburger.

medhdd7ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
Chellymouse
Dis Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcherjen View Post
Can you order a kid's meal if you aren't a kid? We were going to do quick service meals, not into the table meals. Her request is that we eat at T-rex cafe. Thinking of ordering a sharing app there and going somewhere else for dinner. I couldn't believe it was $16 for a hamburger.
Do NOT eat there! The food is horrible, the service is worse and it's so loud in that place that you can't hear your own family at your table! My DNephew begged to eat there and he was really disappointed! DH and I had a salad, a burger and 2 cokes and our bill (with our DVC discount) with tip was $50. Stay far, far away from there!

OP: There are 2 grocery delivery services for WDW.....gardengrocer.com and wegoshop.com. We prefer garden grocer because we can pre-pay everything and we don't have to be present when they deliver. We purchase all of our drinks (water, soda, gatorade, ect) snacks and sometimes breakfast foods. Disney does allow you to bring a soft side cooler into the parks. Many people also order lunch meats, ect and eat their lunches in the parks as well. $15 per person is not going to get you much food.

[/IMG]
Chellymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Time Traveler
the best around

Quote:
You may want to look into Sanaa; it's a restaurant at Kidani Village which offers views of *real* animals. The food is excellent and it's a bit more reasonably priced considering the quality of the food.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
kstrough
Earning My Ears

We have a rental car so go to Walmart to get snacks and such. We've also packed certain things and flown them down (we fly southwest which has a generous baggage allowance and we fill the snack space up with souvenirs and outlet shopping purchases). Our favorites are rice Krispy treats, single serve packs of peanuts, fruit loops, and clementines. We usually order two counter service and share- we are a party of three. We also eat offsite a few times.
kstrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
gypsydoodlebug
Who DOESN'T love Fraggle Rock? I have to admit, Gobo Fraggle was kinda hot...
all of a sudden I sound like a Beverly Hillbilly??!?!
I can't tell the chicks from the dudes on here

We are not big breakfast eaters, so we do Cliff bars on the go or a bagel and cream cheese in the room. Then we eat our big meal of the day around 2 and usually aren't hungry for dinner, so we just get a snack.

When DD was little, she wanted food in her mouth when her feet hit the floor. I used to buy the Lay's Stackers chips before we left, ate the chips at home and filled the containers up with cereal and taped them shut. She could snack on that while in the room and we threw the containers away when they were empty.

DD also has a habit of never finishing a bottle of soda or water, so when we empty one I rinse it and toss it in my bag so she and I can share the next day.

**Newly minted VGF DVC members**
gypsydoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellymouse View Post
Do NOT eat there! The food is horrible, the service is worse and it's so loud in that place that you can't hear your own family at your table! My DNephew begged to eat there and he was really disappointed! DH and I had a salad, a burger and 2 cokes and our bill (with our DVC discount) with tip was $50. Stay far, far away from there!
this is YOUR opinion. Nothing more...nothing less.

T-Rex IS loud, i will grant you, but the kids love the dinosaurs. It's not cheap but what table service is? The food is huge portions and pretty good.
We go once every trip with the children.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys!! We will defintely pack in room stuff. I guess I need to clarify that is is $15 per person per meal. So... basically $45 dollars per person per day. ($225 a day on food ect.) Now we may not eat that much, but I just want to be safe money wise.

medhdd7ds16 dd19

Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #25
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can you order a kid's meal if you aren't a kid?
Just to answer your first question, no. You can order a meal off the kids' menu but you will be charged an adult price. Now back to Dateline NBC for me...
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #26
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

We go to T-rex every time. My ds10 loves it. The food is good and it doesn't cost more than any other chain restaurant.
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #27
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Just to answer your first question, no. You can order a meal off the kids' menu but you will be charged an adult price. Now back to Dateline NBC for me...
That's what I thougt. I do have a child that will be ordering off the menu, but figured they wouldn't like adults doing so.

medhdd7ds16 dd19

Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
PlutosUnDr8d
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You can order whatever you want at a quick service location, so if you aren't into table meals then that should work as an alternative for you. It has worked for me when it's just my DS and I and nothing piques his interest to share an adult portion! 2 kids meals it is!
Wolfgang Puck Quick Service at DTD has decent pizza and the "individual" ones are large enough to share between two smaller appetites.

I agree with eating breakfast in the room--they have great portable options in the stores now. Bars, breakfast "cookies", etc. Just try them BEFORE you go. . .some of the "breakfast bars" are not pleasing to the palate!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosUnDr8d View Post
You can order whatever you want at a quick service location, so if you aren't into table meals then that should work as an alternative for you.
Oops. Forgot to mention that. I'm caught up right now, sorry.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcherjen
I order kids meals for myself at cs places. Never had a problem.
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: