Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
BensWife
Mouseketeer

Do you really need a "hopper" ticket?

I've only been to DW once, and that was in 1995, so it has been a long time and there were a lot fewer parks to visit back then. Did you find it easier to stay at one park each day or did you "hop" around a lot? Thanks!

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
BensWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensWife View Post
I've only been to DW once, and that was in 1995, so it has been a long time and there were a lot fewer parks to visit back then. Did you find it easier to stay at one park each day or did you "hop" around a lot? Thanks!
We tend to hop quite a bit .... especially when we stay at the EPCOT area resorts. (hopping between EPCOT and DHS). I think the only new "park" since 1995 is the Animal Kingdom and we find ourselves only spending about half a day there for any given day.
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

We are traveling with 4 young kids for the first time(one with special needs) and decided against the hopper. Not sure the ages of your children but mine won't last one park for a full day, let alone multiple. My two cents...
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Have never done park hopping. I plan a day for each park we want to go to plus a resort day. I also do the waterparks & more option so we have lots of water water time.....I love taking advantage of the EMH's too!!!! Hopping seems like way too much trouble IMO.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 10
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
smellyia
Mouseketeer

Last summer we got hoppers and used them daily but we stay at the Epcot resorts. This year we'll do the same so we can go to Epcot as much as we'd like in the evenings it even DHS. That being said, if I wasn't staying at an Epcot resorting might forego the hoppers because of convenience. Your best bet would be to mock up an itinerary and figure where you'd like to go when. Hoppers are by no means a necessity and I think where you stay plays a large part in their use.
Beach Club/Royal Pacific USO May/June 2012
Beach Club May/June 2013
AKL CL Feb 2014
Beach Club May 2014
Royal Pacific USO/Grand Floridian Oct 2014
smellyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Looking at your kids' ages, I'd suggest that you stick to one park per day. Years ago, we would purchase the hoppers but realized that it was better to plan on seeing one park on a particular day. If you need to go back to the resort for a break, you can still do so and then return to that same park later.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
elaw
DIS Veteran

We usually do rope drop at one of the parks in the morning, head back to the resort for the early afternoon to relax a bit, then to a different park in the late afternoon/evening for a few hours and then head back to the resort before 9:00pm
Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Reddy
Scrapbooker

we get the hoppers but my boys are teens so we tend to go go go
figure the bus/boat/monrail ride is a break for us
since DHS has fanstimic every night that helps with crowds in that park so you may not need to hop
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

We did not get park hoppers on our last trip in October to keep the costs down a bit. It worked out for us because we planned our days well. If you can afford it and think you even might want to hop then it's well worth it. When we do have park hoppers we may hop over to MK just to see the parade or to catch some extra magic hours. It also depends on how long your stay will be and if you think you'll have any extra time to do the hopping. We can spend all day in one park easily though.
momto3boysillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensWife View Post
We've only gotten them twice. Once when we stayed at YC and once when we stayed at Swan.

We don't feel the need for a park hopper when we stay at any other area other than the EPCOT resorts.

When we stay at EPCOT resorts, DW, DS, and I all love to walk over to EPCOT in the evening no matter where we spent the day.
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

DBF & I got park hoppers on the first trip but not our last trip. It worked out fine both ways but we much prefer the hoppers!

We only do half a day at Animal Kingdom too, so we feel it's nice to have the PH.

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
vdub322
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
We usually do rope drop at one of the parks in the morning, head back to the resort for the early afternoon to relax a bit, then to a different park in the late afternoon/evening for a few hours and then head back to the resort before 9:00pm
This is pretty much exactly what we do and it works so well for our family. We always break up the day with resort time. We are "morning people" and we get an early start. Then after lunch we head back to the resort. DD3 is a scheduled napper and the rest of us love to hang out, rest, shop, swim, etc. Then we head to a different park at night...fairly early.

If we were on a shorter trip and didn't plan to spend resort time every afternoon, then maybe I wouldn't "need" it, but if I'm already back at the resort it's so easy to check out somewhere different in the evening!

vdub322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
Belle83
DIS Veteran

During our first trip (May 2011), we did add on the park hopper option at the park because of unexpected changes in our itinerary. We went to Animal Kingdom in the morning, and wanted to go to Hollywood Studios that night. We only used the park hopper that one time during the trip.

During our trip last month (Dec. 2012), we didn't buy park hopper and didn't miss it. We're not planning to add it on for our upcoming trip (April 2013) either.

We tend to get to the parks later in the morning, and stay as late as possible. We're not the type to leave the park for a break in the middle of the day.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
bonjovi
Mouseketeer

We like to park hop for meals and also because my children (5&7) may not always last all day at one park. we don't like to "schedule" the electrical parade, wishes, fantasmic or illuminations because there is no guarantee they will be energized enough to stick to a schedule. so, choosing the night , based on how awake they are may not always match the park we spent the day in.
bonjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We never had park hoppers until we became DVC members and that was only because we stay at BWV and like to go to Epcot for dinner each night.
Honestly, since this is only your second trip, I don't think you'll need it.
Once you arrive though and if you decide that you want to hop, you can have that option added to your tickets.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: