Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Animal Kingdom-Kidani or Art of Animation??

We are going to Disney at the end of february and have the AK Villa-Kidani booked but I am considering a switch to the AOA. It will be our first trip to Disney with our 4 young kids (9,8,4,1). Any suggestions? Switching would save us 600.00 for our stay. As far as location, which is better? Is it easy to get on the busses at the AOA?
Thanks so much!!
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

brucerob

I love AKL going in March, but its the furthest away from MK which for young ones maybe the main park for you, it still takes about 25 min or so but if you have own car wont be that long, IF you have a savannah room and your kids love animals go with AKL, iF you want more disney type decor and feel ,probably go with AOA. The pool is awesome at AKL too,,,so its a tough one since i havent been to AOA yet. But a deluxe has more food choices too.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Meredisney
DIS Veteran

Location: "second STAR to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

BUSES:
At both resorts, you will need to take a bus to whatever park you visit. As a previous poster stated, MK is far away from DAKL but to me, a bus ride is a bus ride...

GETTING TO YOUR ROOM:
Art of Animation, you check in at the main building which also houses the food court and game rooms. Your hotel room will be located in a different building which means you will have to walk to your room.

At Kidani Village everything is located in one main building.

FOOD:
Art of Animation, your only food option is the food court. The menu is great and there is something for everyone. There is also a bar by the main "Nemo" pool that has snacks. Just know that there are no table service options.

At Kidani Village, the closest food options are going to be Sanaa which is Table Service or the Maji Pool Bar that just serves sandwiches, salads and snacks at the Pool. If you don't mind walking over to Jambo House, you'll have more options: Jiko - which is a signature Table Service offering dinner only, Boma - a buffet offering Breakfast and Dinner, Mara - Quick Service. Keep in mind that all of the TSR serve African cuisine. The Mara serves some African inspired food and American. They are open for B, L & D.

ROOMS:
At Art of Animation, the rooms are highly themed but small. I even found the family suites to be a little cramped. They are pretty neat though because they have a kitchenette, 2 bathrooms, a master bedroom, a couch that becomes a bed and a table that converts to a bed which is kindof cool for the little ones.

At Kidani Village, the majority of rooms have Savannah views which is a huge plus! Not sure if you are staying in a Studio, one bedroom or a two bedroom. At the very least you will have a small refrigerator, wet bar, microwave and coffeemaker in your room if you are in a studio. One & two bedrooms have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer. Studios have a Queen size bed and full size sleep sofa. One and two bedrooms have a king size bed and a whirlpool tub in the Master bedroom which is kind of nice for the adults! Both the one & two bedrooms have Queen size sleeper sofas in living room. The two bedroom obviously has a second bedroom (I think with two queen beds?)

POOLS:
At Art of Animation, the main pool is the Finding Nemo pool. It's awesome. If you haven't seen photos, then google it! It's the largest pool at any of the WDW resorts. When you go underwater, you hear music from Finding Nemo. The pool is zero entry (you walk in like the beach). There is also a children's splash area. There are "Quiet pools" by the Cars and The Little Mermaid buildings

Kidani Village has a very cool pool. It is zero entry and has a slide. There are also two whirlpool spas.

Future: Disney Dream - 11/14/2014
Completed: Disney Dream Charity Preview Cruise - 01/21/11; Carnival Dream - 07/31/10; Disney Wonder - 11/05/09; Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 03/30/09; Celebrity Solstice - 11/21/08 charter pre-inaugural 2 day cruise to nowhere; Disney Wonder - 11/01/07; Caribbean Princess - 9/24/05; Carnival Fascination - 11/08/04; Disney Magic - 03/27/04; Disney Wonder - 10/02/03; Disney Wonder - 5/16/02
Meredisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!

Art of Animation will be a shorter bus ride to everything except AK.

I cant speak for AKL-K, but AoA has very nice suites. I found it a perfect amount of room for our family of 5, and your young kids will love any type of room you get - the resort theme made us leave that vacation feeling we got the most 'Disney' out of our Disney trip (if that makes any sense!).

The Big Blue Pool will definitely please your little ones - we went with our extended family of 17 and arrived later in the day than everyone else. They got to go swimming and all enjoyed the pool - from the 4 year olds to the 70 year olds!
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

Being able to afford it, I'd choose AKL. But we'll do the suite in AoA instead and that's ok.

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
bek
Mouseketeer

I'd pick AoA over AKL-Kidani because:

*Kidani's food options are limited to Sanaa (table service at night) or a pool bar. AKL's only counter service, Mara, is at Jambo House, which is a bus, long walk or car ride from Kidani. Especially with young kids, I think a counter service that's open all day and into the night is essential.

*The big blue pool at AoA is fabulous for young children.

*AoA's theming is fantastic for children. I love AKL - Jambo House but I find AKL - Kidani to be very underwhelming.

I'd have a tougher time picking between AKL-Jambo and AoA but with the ages of your kids, I'd still pick AoA over AKL. AKL-Jambo is a favorite of mine but I pick it for adult trips. The next grandkid trip will be AoA.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Wow, such GREAT responses!! Thanks!

Our kids might enjoy the AOA better with all the fun themes, colors, etc... and to save the money when we are not in the room much, should possibly be a no brainer. I was most concerned about having separate rooms so we can set up a pack n play in the bedroom area for nap time.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming! We are nearing our 45 day deadline to make the final payment so any and all suggestions are welcome!
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

For the age of your kids, I think AoA would be a great option. The resort is wonderfully themed for children. The food court has very good food, and there's something there for everybody - picky eaters included. There separate master bedroom will give you a lot of flexibility at nap time. I'd save the $600, definitely.

Or, if you really want easy flexibility, $600 will get you a rental mini-van which makes travel to the parks a snap, and shortens the time it takes to get back to the resort for naps.
AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: