Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Loving your TR so far !! Looking forward to reading more !! Wonderful photos !!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
* I'm with you, I don't really completely understand how the new turnstiles are supposed to work. I'm very curious to see how they work out the issues with that.
* Love the Mickey balloons! I've always wanted one but have never actually bought one either. Well, we are doing an anniversary photoshoot at one of the resorts for our August trip and I think we may buy a Mickey balloon to have in some of our photos, I thought that would be fun. So I'm excited about finally getting one too lol!
* Interesting that your mom enjoyed Fantasmic more this time around than a few years ago. The last time my husband saw it he didn't really enjoy it that much, but I'm hoping to change his mind someday!
* Love your Osborne lights pics. They seem stunning.
I should probably ask one of my friends that have been trained on the turnstiles how they work, since I won't be able to go back and work on them before my six month grace period ends.

The Mickey balloons are very fun. Just a tip, you cannot have them at Animal Kingdom park or AKL.

I think my mom liked Fantasmic more this time partly due to the circumstances. The last time she saw it, it was the last night of my high school band trip. She was a chaperone and the whole trip was just a bad experience for her. This time we were also in the 8th row, and last time we were up at the very top in wheelchair section, so she may have liked it better now since she could actually see what was happening!
*1992-Offsite *1994-Offsite *2/15-20, 2007-All Star Music *5/17-28, 2010-Kidani Village @ AKL Dining *10/7-11, 2011-Beach Club Villas Dining *1/10-11, 2012-Old Key West *2/9-12, 2012-Coronado Springs *5/10-5/11, 2012-All Star Music Four Months of Disney Dining *5/22-26,2012-All Star Sports *5/26-27, 2012-Port Orleans French Quarter *12/17-21, 2012-Wilderness Lodge *5/7-10, 2013-Pop Century *7/24-30, 2013-Art of Animation *1/6-10, 2014 -Art of Animation *3/25-29, 2014-All Star Movies *3/29-30, 2014-Boardwalk Villas *5/18-23, 2014-Paradise Pier *8/13-18, 2014-Caribbean Beach *8/18-19, 2014-Grand Floridian Trip Report & Dining *12/15-19, 2014-Port Orleans French Quarter-The Never Ending PTR! *3/17-23, 2015-Coronado Springs *10/20-26, 2015-Boardwalk Villas 10/26-28, 2015-Vero Beach *10/28-11/1, 2015-Disney Cruise Line (Magic)

Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

"Chugga Chugga Chugga!"

When we finished up with the Lights, we walked back up towards the front. Our ADR at 50s was at 8:20 and we checked in a little early. It was a great experience, as usual. Mom ordered the Blue Crab Salad, Meatloaf, and S'mores.

I chose the Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese, the Pot Roast, and a PB&J shake.

And PB ordered the Onion Rings and Meatloaf.

Carole was our waitress, and she was very fun. She made a mom at another table eat her last bite of dinner airplane style, and fed the Guest Relations tour guide with that family finish his vegetables while we all banged on our tables and yelled "Chugga Chugga Chugga!" When we were done with dinner, we slowly made our way out of the park, taking more pictures along the way.

We said goodbye to PB for the time being, and he boarded the tram back to his car. Mom and I walked to our bus stop, and there was only one other family waiting there (this was around 9:20pm, so an hour and twenty minutes after official park closing). A bus pulled up in about five minutes, we got Mom loaded on and soon we were on our way back to the lodge. Back in our room, Mom took another picture of the view.

And right at 10pm, much to my surprise and delight, we were able to see the higher Wishes fireworks over the north wing! I was almost crying because I was so happy. The first day was amazing, and we had a pretty relaxing second day planned. I went to bed, fell asleep almost instantly, and, per my usual first night at Disney, didn't move at all.
*1992-Offsite *1994-Offsite *2/15-20, 2007-All Star Music *5/17-28, 2010-Kidani Village @ AKL Dining *10/7-11, 2011-Beach Club Villas Dining *1/10-11, 2012-Old Key West *2/9-12, 2012-Coronado Springs *5/10-5/11, 2012-All Star Music Four Months of Disney Dining *5/22-26,2012-All Star Sports *5/26-27, 2012-Port Orleans French Quarter *12/17-21, 2012-Wilderness Lodge *5/7-10, 2013-Pop Century *7/24-30, 2013-Art of Animation *1/6-10, 2014 -Art of Animation *3/25-29, 2014-All Star Movies *3/29-30, 2014-Boardwalk Villas *5/18-23, 2014-Paradise Pier *8/13-18, 2014-Caribbean Beach *8/18-19, 2014-Grand Floridian Trip Report & Dining *12/15-19, 2014-Port Orleans French Quarter-The Never Ending PTR! *3/17-23, 2015-Coronado Springs *10/20-26, 2015-Boardwalk Villas 10/26-28, 2015-Vero Beach *10/28-11/1, 2015-Disney Cruise Line (Magic)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

A Lazy Morning

Tuesday morning we slept in a bit, until about 9:30. I went down to Roaring Fork to get us some breakfast to bring back to the room. We were originally going to order room service, but the current menu is different from any of the ones online, and none of the selections sounded all that great. So we checked the allears menu for Roaring Fork (also out of date) and Mom told me to get her pancakes and bacon. When I got down there, I was very happy to see they do have Mickey waffles, in three kinds: Strawberries & Cream, Chocolate Lover's, and Banana's Foster.

There was virtually no line at either station, and they even gave me fresh pancakes, even though there were still a few sitting in the serving dish.

I paid for this meal out of pocket, but I did get a 20% cast member discount. The food was absolutely delicious. Mom adored the pancakes and fruit, and my waffles were out of this world. A perfect start to the day!

After that, we were still pretty tired (the beds were super hard and we both had a hard time sleeping on them) so we went back to bed for a few more hours. When I woke up again I went down to the Mercantile to buy the Minnie Santa ears to wear to the Christmas Party that night, and I also picked up a purple Tinker Bell magnet for my car. Back at the room, I convinced Mom to get up, and we took our leftovers from 50s down to Roaring Fork to heat up for lunch. We also got a carrot Cupcake to share.

This cupcake was massive! Very moist and the frosting was amazingly creamy-I think it may have topped the Carrot Cake Cookie from Writer's Stop at DHS! All of the cupcakes in the case looked good, and I wouldn't have minded trying the Smores one, but alas, we never got around to it.

During lunch I realized that I had left the memory card for the camera in my computer so I ran back up to the room to get that. I had been texting PB about meeting up the next day, and Mom went to call Grandma in the meantime, using my phone-only to find that in between texts, AT&T turned off my service due to a bill snafu.

Putting that off for the moment, we decided to go explore the decorations around the resort.

Some close-ups of the decorations on the tree (they were HUGE, probably as big as my head!):

We wandered over to the Villas as well, to check out their decorations.

Heading back towards the Lodge, we decided to walk towards the dock to see if the boat was taking ECVs, but no captains were there for us to ask. It was almost 3pm, and Fire Rock Geyser was set to erupt, so we joined the small crowd to watch it.

Baby ducklings!

And looking back at the lodge, you can see the "Bear Face".

We headed back up to the room to get ready for MVMCP and I also took care of my phone bill. Then it was out to bus, which came almost instantly!

Last edited by bellebookworm9; 07-24-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Food at the 50's Prime Time looks really tasty! I like the looks of that crab salad! I like that you took the day slowly and spent some time to check out all of the decorations. Very pretty!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I'm in again! Love trips with you and your mom!

Dee
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Hiya Gretchen! I am frantically trying to catch up on all of the Christmas PTRs I was reading and cross over to the TRs! Happy to have caught up with yours

Iím glad the easy check-in at the airport made up for grandmaís slow driving/bad route. Nice flight, Iím glad that JetBlue worked out so well. And very cool that that terminal drops you so close to the ME area. We used Apple Scooters too (second time weíve used them) and have always been happy with their equipment and service. Sorry they didnít have the scooter there for your mom when you got to the resort.

Front row on ME Ė lucky! Iím still on the fence about the new MK entrance colors, so very used to the old color scheme. Nice decorations in the lobby at WL and cool that Megan was such a good CM in welcoming you both. Interesting that they hide the mini-fridge in the room to keep the lodge theming. I liked the character tiles in the shower.

Amazing view, could ask for better than that! Your lunch looked great, I love Memphis-style pulled pork sandwiches. Too bad about all the noise when you wanted to grab a nap. And we had the same issue with the in-room WiFi, it was pathetic and same scenario in the public areas

Nice that the luggage came so fast and that the scooter showed up before you wanted to leave for a park!

DW uses the scooter and even though she drove one in April of í11 she still did the same thing your mom did the first time she tried loading up on the bus. Slow and steady is the way to go. Love that DHS tree, very festive. I like the scooter beacon as an excuse to get the Mickey head balloon

Sorry you didnít get any pics with you and PB together. That is the downside of being the person operating the camera, very hard to be in many shots. Iím sure after being behind the scenes and riding the rides so often you canít help but get campy with responses to the ride elements. Glad you all enjoyed Fantasmic!

I wish we had spent as much time looking at the Osborne lights as you did. By the time we got over to it we had been at DHS 11hrs straight and the fam was done so we didnít even make it through the whole song cycle. Great pics of the lights Ė love the shot with you at the umbrella!

50s Prime Time is always a good choice to finish off a DHS day, yum! So cool that you had a quick trip back to the resort and that you could see some of the Wishes fireworks!

Sleeping in and a great spread for breakfast Ė thatís the way to start a day! Too bad those beds were so hard, hope sleeping a little more after breakfast made up for it. Yay for remembering your memory card before you left the resort. Yikes on losing cell service during the trip

Nice decorations, I can almost smell the wood and pine. Nice rainbow at the geyser too! Glad you got the cell phone thing settled before you left for MVMCP! Looking forward to hearing more Disney Christmas Adventures!
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Joining in! Yay for staying at the WL! I love all of your pictures. It really is an amazing place at Christmas.

I first heard about the "bear face" right before we were going to stay there and it took me forever to see it!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Quote:
Food at the 50's Prime Time looks really tasty! I like the looks of that crab salad! I like that you took the day slowly and spent some time to check out all of the decorations. Very pretty!
I love 50s! I think it ties with Crystal Palace for being the only table service restaurant that I've visited more than two times. It's really funny to see how our touring style has changed in the last few years-we used to be "go, go, go" (or I did at least) and now we're definitely turtle tourists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I'm in again! Love trips with you and your mom!

Dee
Welcome Dee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmrmustard View Post
Hiya Gretchen! I am frantically trying to catch up on all of the Christmas PTRs I was reading and cross over to the TRs! Happy to have caught up with yours

Iím glad the easy check-in at the airport made up for grandmaís slow driving/bad route. Nice flight, Iím glad that JetBlue worked out so well. And very cool that that terminal drops you so close to the ME area. We used Apple Scooters too (second time weíve used them) and have always been happy with their equipment and service. Sorry they didnít have the scooter there for your mom when you got to the resort.

It wasn't a big deal that the scooter wasn't there because we weren't going anywhere immediately. But we had quite a bit of trouble on day 4 that I'll tell you about!

Front row on ME Ė lucky! Iím still on the fence about the new MK entrance colors, so very used to the old color scheme. Nice decorations in the lobby at WL and cool that Megan was such a good CM in welcoming you both. Interesting that they hide the mini-fridge in the room to keep the lodge theming. I liked the character tiles in the shower.

I think they hide the fridges in all the rooms now to go with the theming-in all the resorts I've stayed at in 2012 (six of them, value to deluxe) the fridge has always been in some sort of cupboard.

Amazing view, could ask for better than that! Your lunch looked great, I love Memphis-style pulled pork sandwiches. Too bad about all the noise when you wanted to grab a nap. And we had the same issue with the in-room WiFi, it was pathetic and same scenario in the public areas

I remember last January when they first introduced the Wi-Fi, I was at Old Key West was awful. It was better at Coronado Springs in February, and I don't recall having problems at ASMu, ASSp, or POFQ in May. The in park wi-fi was fine though!

Nice that the luggage came so fast and that the scooter showed up before you wanted to leave for a park!

DW uses the scooter and even though she drove one in April of í11 she still did the same thing your mom did the first time she tried loading up on the bus. Slow and steady is the way to go. Love that DHS tree, very festive. I like the scooter beacon as an excuse to get the Mickey head balloon

Sorry you didnít get any pics with you and PB together. That is the downside of being the person operating the camera, very hard to be in many shots. Iím sure after being behind the scenes and riding the rides so often you canít help but get campy with responses to the ride elements. Glad you all enjoyed Fantasmic!

I wish we had spent as much time looking at the Osborne lights as you did. By the time we got over to it we had been at DHS 11hrs straight and the fam was done so we didnít even make it through the whole song cycle. Great pics of the lights Ė love the shot with you at the umbrella!

50s Prime Time is always a good choice to finish off a DHS day, yum! So cool that you had a quick trip back to the resort and that you could see some of the Wishes fireworks!

Sleeping in and a great spread for breakfast Ė thatís the way to start a day! Too bad those beds were so hard, hope sleeping a little more after breakfast made up for it. Yay for remembering your memory card before you left the resort. Yikes on losing cell service during the trip

Nice decorations, I can almost smell the wood and pine. Nice rainbow at the geyser too! Glad you got the cell phone thing settled before you left for MVMCP! Looking forward to hearing more Disney Christmas Adventures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Joining in! Yay for staying at the WL! I love all of your pictures. It really is an amazing place at Christmas.

I first heard about the "bear face" right before we were going to stay there and it took me forever to see it!
Welcome Sarah! My mom couldn't find the bear face at first either, but when she found it she thought it was super cool!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #24
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Pre-Party Fun

We had just boarded the MK bus, and after a stop at Ft. Wilderness, we were soon approaching Magic Kingdom. There were no snafus entering the park using the MVMCP tickets, like there was in 2011 with MNSSHP. We got our wristbands and proceeded back to Liberty Square for dinner, stopping for a few quick pics along the way.

We had a rather lackluster dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern, something we probably wouldn't do again.

Then we wandered around the park for a bit. Mom hadn't seen any of new Fantasyland yet, and a lot of it wasn't even done yet when I left Florida in August. Storybook Circus was our first stop, because Mom was almost tempted to ride Dumbo. But she didn't want to ride by herself and we wouldn't have fit in one together. I wanted to meet the characters at the "Sideshow" tent, but the posted waits were much longer than those on the Lines app, so we forewent that as well. I did take this cool shot of the castle through my balloon back there.

Heading into Tomorrowland we decided to do one of our favorite rides, Buzz Lightyear, which had a brief wait. Mom actually beat me! That never happens!

After Buzz we made a bathroom stop and then walked/rolled over to the Hub, because it was almost time for the castle lighting show.

The castle show was corny, but the end result was beautiful!

I believe the next order of business was some shopping on Main Street. I know we went to the Emporium and I got in the *actual line* to buy a MVMCP shirt. I think the line was about 15 minutes. Mom wanted one, but only if it was short sleeved and green. No luck. They only had short sleeved in red, and not in her size anyway. But I got a long sleeved green one! We also picked up some antenna toppers (mine broke already and it's not even on the car) and an activity set for my brother. I wanted a new initial ring because mine had broken a while back, but we couldn't find one. Mom found some other rings instead that I really liked, but they were rather pricey even with my merch discount so we held off for the time being.

When we were done there, I know we stopped at First Aid for an ice pack for Mom, then went into Adventureland. Mom went to get some of the free snacks while I got in the relatively short line to meet Tink and Periwinkle!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

"What would happen if we mixed red dye with my green outfit?"

So I had walked Mom over to Sunshine Tree Terrace and gotten in line at the Adventureland Veranda to meet Tinker Bell and Periwinkle. I was the first one at the rope in the long queue and it wasn't a very long wait, maybe 20 minutes. Tinker Bell was up first.

Tink was absolutely adorable. She loved my dress and I liked her outfit too. We determined that I had used strawberries to dye my dress, and she wanted to know what would happen if we did the same to hers. I said I think that would just be brown and she was sad at first, but then she decided we could just be festive together!

And then came Periwinkle. I haven't seen Secret of the Wings yet, so I know virtually nothing about her other than she's Tinker Bell's "twin" and she's a winter fairy. I don't really remember what we discussed.

I met back up with Mom, who said the free hot cocoa was pretty good, but the cookies were obviously pre-packaged and pretty blah. We headed over to Fantasyland because I wanted to meet Cinderella and family, but their line was super long. Pooh and Friends were getting some honey, so no go with them either. My feet were really hurting by then (two days of flats=bad idea) so we headed towards Cosmic Ray's. On the way, we ran into Rosemary, another DISer from the December Facebook group and chatted for a few minutes.

Once in Ray's I grabbed a cup of apple juice and we sat out on the terrace for a little bit. The first parade of the evening was happening, but we couldn't see much of it. After my feet had some time to rest, Mom decided she would be able to walk for a bit and I could ride the scooter. We walked back to Liberty Square and were just about to park and get in line for the Haunted Mansion when a cast member said we could take the scooter right into the queue. I went to do so and a massive crowd of people came up and got in line. OK, not happening. We decided Big Thunder would be much of the same, so we walked over towards the Hall of Presidents. Mom wanted to look in the shop, but she almost got run over by another scooter in there. She came back out and we briefly discussed going to Main Street to wait for the fireworks. I don't recall coming to a definite decision, and she said, "I'm going for a walk." At least that's what I heard, anyway. I guess what she really said was, "I'm going to the shops." By the time I could start up the scooter and maneuver out of my spot, she was gone, and I had no idea where she went. So I decided to stay put, thinking that if she just went for a walk she'd come back. But it was getting close to fireworks time and I was worried we'd be separated. And to make things even better, she walked away with NOTHING. I had both cell phones, her wallet, her room key, everything. So I was a bit angry, but Holiday Wishes was starting and that made me happier. I had a pretty good viewing spot too!

(That was during the "O Christmas Tree" part, so they made the castle green!)

(Perfect smiley face, which sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.)

An absolutely beautiful show! There's a part right at the end that I adore; they sing "And all our Christmas Wishes! will come true!" and when they say
"wishes" it's exactly the same melody that they sing in the normal Wishes. Gives me chills every time I listen to it. And then the song they play afterwards: "Sleigh bells ringing and snow is falling and friends are singing and chestnuts roasting..." If you have any idea what I'm talking about, you are singing it now too. Oh how I wish I were there right now.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, that song is called "Christmas All Around Us" and you can find it in the D-Cot Jukebox. And the above Wishes mention is found at 13:18 at the D-Cot Jukebox recording of Holiday Wishes.

So after the show, I waited some more. I didn't want to go anywhere in case Mom came back. I was just going to stay there for the parade and then figure out where she went. Then I got a call from Hartford, CT. Well, I don't know anyone from there so I let it go to voicemail. It was Mom, saying she was in the Town Square Theater (some nice cast member let her borrow his phone). So I zip down a surprisingly uncrowded Main Street to the theater.
Can't find her. Cell phone rings again, this time from Lake Buena Vista, FL. Mom again. Now she's at City Hall, calling from Guest Relations. We finally reunited after over an hour. She had expected me to follow her to Main Street and then was waiting for me to pop up after a bit. In the meantime she wandered in and out of the shops, occasionally sitting on some of the recessed stairways to the buildings. We were both pretty frustrated. And I was really cold, even with my sweatshirt, like spastically shivering. Although we both really wanted to see the parade (and I later realized I had missed my only chance to see Belle in her Christmas dress) we decided to go back to the hotel. Mom was really sore because I had the scooter that whole time, and it was just kind of a bust. Overall the party experience wasn't the greatest. I used to feel the party price was worth it because you get 8 hours total (almost a full day's time!) of park time for about $20 less than a regular ticket. But when your normal admission is free, $120 for special fireworks doesn't seem like such a great deal anymore.

I would probably do the party again, but dress for the weather-it got much colder than I thought it was going to-and have a better plan to follow. Heading out to the bus stop we did get some free stuff-a lame ABC Family 25 Days of Christmas guide and a car air freshener. That's not too lame, because it smells like spiced hot apple cider and when I have the heat blasting enough my car smells heavenly. The bus pulled up within two minutes of us arriving and soon we were back at the hotel.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #26
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

The castle is just stunning with those lights. I dream of the time I will be able to be in Disney for Christmas! Tink was really cute in her winter outfit too. I'm sorry you had all the frustration with your mom though. That would've really upset me too.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Quote:
The castle is just stunning with those lights. I dream of the time I will be able to be in Disney for Christmas! Tink was really cute in her winter outfit too. I'm sorry you had all the frustration with your mom though. That would've really upset me too.
I've always wanted to see the castle lights. I got a tease of them in January 2012 when I went down for my college program. The night before I checked in, my roommate and I went to the Poly beach to watch Wishes, since we didn't have our IDs yet and couldn't go to the parks. But the lights were still up on the 10th and we could see them from a distance! Unfortunately, by the time we were actually able to go into MK on the 13th, they weren't lit anymore.

I told Mom her wandering privileges were revoked. I was just beginning to trust her again going off on her own during the Lost Mom Fiasco of 2010, but no more. I know better now, and I need to keep her on a leash!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #28
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

"Just buy a Dooney already!"

Wednesday morning brought one of our favorite meals on property-Crystal Palace! We've eaten there once for dinner and twice now for breakfast. We headed to Magic Kingdom around 9:30, again by bus with a very short wait. After we got through bag check, I had some holiday cheer to spread! As a cast member, I was given a holiday admission pass good for me and three people on any one day. Well, it's only me plus one, ever, and I always feel like I'm wasting those other two admissions! So I found a DISer on the Facebook group whose parents were joining them during the vacation. With my admission, they'd be able to get two park days with their family instead of just one. So we met up with them, and they were lovely people. From New York, too! After we all entered the park, they thanked me profusely, I told them they were so welcome, gave them a couple of free popcorn/soft drink coupons, and we went on our merry ways, my heart a lot happier at bringing joy to another family.

On our way up Main Street, Mom wanted to look in the Jewelry store where they sell Dooney & Bourke bags. She's been eying them for almost three years now and has yet to buy one (yes, even with my 40% discount!). I, on the other hand, have two-a white Sketch wristlet and a purple Sketch cross body-and if I could afford them I'd probably own at least one of every design. But Mom thinks they're too expensive and she can never find a purse she's totally satisfied with. It's not even a problem with pattern placement, but no purse has a design that she can live with. If it has a shoulder strap and carrying straps, she thinks that's dumb. You get the gist. So no purchase was made and we headed up Main Street again.

Our ADR was for 10:20am, and we checked in about 10 minutes early. Here's one of the decorations outside.

We were called to our table right on time, and I'm 99% sure it was the exact same table we ate at on our last trip there in 2010! Our server was Monika, and it took her a bit longer than we found acceptable to come get our drink orders. Pooh came around pretty quickly.

Then it was up to the buffet for round one...the ever so boring Pooh's Puffed French Toast and a Mickey Waffle with Strawberry topping!

Boring, but yummy! You can't go wrong with these two items.

Just minutes later, we saw Piglet.

Heigh ho, heigh ho, back up to the buffet I go...

Bagel with cream cheese, bacon, and breakfast potato casserole. Again, very boring. The casserole was super delicious though! I need to see if allears has that recipe.

And a plate of fruit.

As usual, pineapple, grapes, and watermelon were amazing, cantaloupe was decent, and honeydew was just kind of meh. It always seems really mushy to me.

Here comes Tigger!

One last trip to the buffet. It was getting close to lunchtime now, so they shut our side of the line down. We started feeling a little rushed around this point.

A croissant, Southwest Breakfast Pizza, and that interesting glob in the back is Breakfast Lasagna. The croissant was soft and buttery, if not particularly warm. I was surprised by how much I liked the pizza because I normally don't care for eggs, or peppers, or really most of the ingredients on it. But it had a nice little kick to it without being overwhelming. Now, the breakfast lasagna. They had taken this off the menu when we were there in 2010, so I didn't get to try it. I was very excited to see it back now. And it was such a disappointment when I finally tried it. Part of it was overly sweet and part of it had no flavor at all. The whole thing was just mushy and as much as I hate to say it, gross. I managed maybe two bites before I gave up. I really wanted to like it because so many people love it, but I just couldn't.

Our last character of the morning was Eeyore.

This meal was on the dining plan, so no out of pocket expense except for the tip. Once again, we loved our meal here and I recommend this restaurant to everyone consistently! GO if you get the chance!

After breakfast we headed up to the monorail, just missing the one at the station, and waited a few minutes for another one. Then it was over to the Grand Floridian. As we entered the lobby on the upper level, I took this shot, which is pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

We honestly don't even like the Grand Flo-it feels too snobby for us-but the decorations were stunning. I took a bunch of pictures of the gingerbread house (which PB told me he got to help assemble a few years ago!). I loved this window with my favorite princess.

And this one is super cute too.

I really don't understand these birds (swans? geese?) that are everywhere on the tree. I think they're a little bit creepy, but if anyone knows their significance, please let me know!

I love that Minnie dress, but I think mine is a little cuter-and I know mine was A LOT cheaper because it's homemade!

Upstairs we went into M. Mouse Mercantile, thinking they sold Dooneys, but they don't. Guess what I left with instead? That ring from the Emporium the night before. I did find my initial ring at this store, but this one was just calling to me. So it left with me.

I love it and wear it almost everyday.

Back outside we boarded the monorail right before it left the station and went back to MK, where we caught the launch right before it departed as well! Water levels must have been high enough for us to take it that day. Kenny was the cast member doing the docking stuff, and he chatted with us through the whole voyage. He was a current college program kid so we discussed our experiences with that. Soon we were back at the Lodge, where we decided to do, what else? Nap.

Last edited by bellebookworm9; 07-24-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #29
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

What a sweet thing that you did with your free admissions! Disney is the perfect place to spread cheer like that

The decorations at the GF are really gorgeous; that was a great shot of the lobby that you got! And I don't own any Disney dooneys, although I really like a lot of the designs and styles, because they are just too expensive for me!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #30
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Hear the Lion Roar!

Sorry readers, I didn't mean to abandon you! I moved a few weeks ago and I've been busy with school and my new job, but I think I have time for a quick update.

So after our nap, we headed out toward Animal Kingdom. The bus arrived within two minutes of us getting to the stop. Pretty sure we stopped at the Ft. and then the driver took the most circuitous route possible to the park. Literally, we circled half the property.

Upon getting to the park, we headed for the two open turnstiles. Now, people never seem to realize that there are generally two turnstiles open right next to each other, and instead of forming two lines, they form a clump. As we got closer to the turnstiles, I could see this was the case. There was one family ahead of us, and they deviated to the left turnstile. I waited a few moments to see if any of them were going to use the right one, and they didn't, so I stepped up to it. Of course, at that moment, the 9-ish daughter stepped over. I indicated she should go first, but she told me I could. So I did, and then her mother yelled at her. Told her she shouldn't let other people in front of her and she could now go to the back of the line, she wasn't dealing with that today. Absolutely ridiculous.

Moving on, we decided to try and get a spot for the parade. Unfortunately, we had cut it a little too close and no spots were open, even in the handicapped areas. So we decided to go get some lunch over at Flame Tree and try to see the parade from there.

Our lunch choice was the BBQ Sandwich (delicious as always) and the chocolate mousse (just okay).

Thankfully, our plan did work out and we were able to see the floats from our table.

Truthfully, I was a little disappointed. It's the same parade that's there everyday, just with some decorations added and some of the lyrics changed. While I do enjoy the normal parade, I was expecting something different.

We headed back to the Safari, along with basically everyone else in the park, but the line still wasn't very long. We were directed over to the wheelchair loading dock, and our truck was soon on the way. Cheryl was our driver and she was awesome, just slightly sarcastic, which was great because there weren't a lot of animals out at that point.

This is probably an Okapi.

I think this is a Water Buck.

I've kind of watched these elephants grow up over the last year.

Something new: I actually got some decent cheetah pictures!

And here goes Mr. Lion running down into his cave, and then he roared and his friends roared back. It was awesome!

It was just after 5 by the time we got off the truck, and we had dinner ressies at Ft. Wilderness at 6:05. Uh oh! I don't know how the time had gotten away from us! So we hustled as best we could to the bus, stopping (or probably taken on the run, actually) for a picture of the AK tree.

A bus pulled up right as we got to the stop, and once we loaded (after the other passengers, because they were there first and the driver didn't see us in time), the bus proceeded to sit there for another ten minutes, which was super frustrating. I was texting PB to see if he could get them to hold the table for us, and eventually we were on our way, but would we make it in time?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: