Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #31
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

Comcast does not advertise it, but if you call them and say you only want local channels you can get a cheap package. Ours is $10 a month and we get somewhere around 20 or so channels. We also have Netflix streaming so all told we pay less than $20 per month with tax.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2
We went NO CABLE a few months ago. We have an external antenna -$100. We got Apple TV to efficiently stream Netflix and HULU + -$100. We already had a TIVO to record shows and it works fine with the antenna (you can buy one w/o too much difficulty).

So after an initial $200 investment we now have $15 Netflix/Hulu bill per month and we are going to cancel HULU because the TIVO is enough to manage our network TV needs. There are 2 cable shows that we love so we order those over Apple TV for <$35 per season.

We will now spend $7.99(Netflix) instead $100 per month for TV. The only thing I miss is HGTV.
Ha! This is exactly what we do/ have and exactly the only thing I miss.... HGTV. Ha!
msbatchelor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #33
Schmoodle
DIS Veteran

We cut the cable almost two years ago and don't miss it a bit. We are 2 teens and 2 adults, don't watch sports except DH for World Cup. We have one TV connected to antenna, so can get network channels and PBS, and boxee to stream other stuff through Netflix. We also have a Kindle fire and DS can stream through his XBox. And our desktop computer, of course.

It didn't even take any adjustment. We overlapped cable for a month to see if the transition would work, but never watched the cable at all that month. In short, there are plenty of screens and plenty of options to keep us happy.

1974 - Family Camping Trip
January 1991 - Family Trip to Westgate Vacation Villas
May 1996 - Best Girlfriend's Trip, Vacation Villas at Fantasy World
July 1998 - Hottest Trip Ever! Parkway International Resort
December 2002 - Multi-Family Dance Trip to Sheraton Vistana Resort
December 2004 - Anthony and Gabbie's First Visit (Can't remember the name of the condo and don't want to try)
October 2008 - The Kids and I stay at Marrott Grande Vista
September 2009 - The Quest for Grownup Food and CSR (First On-Site) stay
January 2010 - Gabbie's Birthday Trip to Carribean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge
March 2010 - Sneaking away from work for a day at Epcot and the Boardwalk Inn
August 2011 - Cheating on Mickey Trip

Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #34
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
Our family got an HDTV and wireless blu ray player for Christmas and now have the ability to stream netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime, etc. and we are seriously considering cancelling our direct tv subscription. For those who have done this, what do you miss? We don't watch sports so that isn't an issue, but how do you watch things like the nightly news, special events like the Ball Drop in Times Square on NYE, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, Disney Christmas Parade, news coverage after major world events like Hurricane Sandy, Sandy Hook, Snowmageddon, presidential debates, etc.? Normally I'd watch CNN for this stuff, but that won't be an option. I've never not had cable or satellite tv in my entire life so this will take some adjusting, but the savings seems worth it!
OK, here's life without cable/satellite, by the numbers...
  • No live sports (you've already stated this is not an issue). However, for NFL fans, most games are covered on CBS/FOX/NBC. As MLB goes, some Blu-ray players, to include the Playstation 3, does offer access to MLB.tv for a nominal annual fee (the big negative on this is all of your home team's games will be blacked-out while live and available for viewing, later).
  • Nightly news/other live current events - by using a simple antenna, you should be able to stay connected to the world around you, as unless you live in a really remote area, you should be able to receive your local ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC/PBS affiliates.
  • Now, as TV programming goes, Netflix/Hulu Plus is really a "hit-or-miss" thing -- unless you spend most of your entertainment time on TheDIS, there may be some TV programs you might miss. I strongly recommend giving both Netfix and Hulu Plus a 30-day trial to see if their programming is what you really want/like, as though both get glowing reviews, here, I wonder if those reviewers are speaking more from the wallet...
Hope it works-out for you...
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #35
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have tried this site and I get no stations in green and only a couple in yellow. This is the problem and there isn't much I can do on my end to fix it.
But you're in New Jersey? Normally, that state is pretty well covered with stations out of NYC (North) and Philly (South) -- Trenton area can receive both sets...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #36
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbatchelor5 View Post
Ha! This is exactly what we do/ have and exactly the only thing I miss.... HGTV. Ha!
Ha! It is probably for the best. I was a bit addicted to house hunters and I would get seriously ticked off at huge houses people in other parts of the country could get for 1/2 of what my 2000 sqft Cape is worth in the Northeastt

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #37
lovehoney
DIS Veteran

We cut the cable right before Christmas. I miss my dvr the most. I know we could get tivo to record but I can't justify the expense.

I'm finding we have a lot more time to do things now.

We already had netflix that the kids watched off the wii, and we bought a bluray for Christmas so we have netflix on that too. I did purchase Amazon Prime because DS12 got a kindle fire for Christmas, but we don't use it very often for videos. We have rented a couple of time from Amazon so that was handy.
lovehoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #38
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Some tv shows are available the next day through the channel's website, too..
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #39
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

OP here. Irony of ironies, we do have an external roof mount antenna, I just never noticed it before.

Of course I just spent the last 2 hours trying to get it to work with no luck, everything is connected with the right cords, but it isn't working. Any ideas?
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #40
skeettafic
Mouseketeer

We're actually in this process right now, too! We are going to pick up an indoor antenna tomorrow to see if it will be enough though I'm thinking because we are in the midst of trees, we may need an outdoor one.

Like someone mentioned, I really am looking forward to not having the TV on as background noise all the time and feel like we'll all be happier once we get used to it. We have our Comcast bill here to pay for next month and I told DH that I want to get this antenna issue figured out this week so we can do our free trial of netflix and hulu before the next billing cycle. We don't have any other high speed internet providers though so I have to keep comcast for that. Blah. Wish I could get rid of them completely but we are going to go from $180/month (and that's on a promotion of some sort) to $80-90.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #41
DawnM
Dawn

This might be something you have already done, but have you run an "antenna channel search" on your TV?

On our TVs we have "Antenna" settings as well as "Cable" settings an you have to run a search with the right one in order to get channels correctly.

Dawn

Quote:
OP here. Irony of ironies, we do have an external roof mount antenna, I just never noticed it before.

Of course I just spent the last 2 hours trying to get it to work with no luck, everything is connected with the right cords, but it isn't working. Any ideas?

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #42
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

Sorry I can't help with ideas about getting the antenna to work - we bought one when we ditched cable. It is a rooftop one and we get around 10 or so stations (some are duplicates - NBC and ABC from our local and next city over). We bought a PC to hookup to the TV and use Windows Media to record shows (works about the same as Tivo but need to buy different cards to record 2 different shows at the same time, but they're inexpensive.

We watch network TV with the antenna, watch Netflix and recorded shows and shows off the internet with our PC.

I don't miss cable at all. I did before we had it setup to record but now we're all set. Total cost for setup with antenna, PC and cards maybe around $600 or so - but we have been cable free for 2 years so we have well made that back in savings.

Do it!
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #43
Diet Dr Chill
Mouseketeer

I don't have cable or an antenna. We just have a PC hooked up to our TV.

I guess this life would suck if you were a huge sport nut. The only thing I ever tried to watch streaming was the 2010 World Cup and it kinda sorta worked. I read local news stations/papers online for local news. The only news show we watch regularly on the TV is a streaming version of ARD's Tagesthemen. I Hulu some shows or watch them when they have been uploaded to the particular channel's website. For example, Spike TV, Comedy Central, and A&E have a lot of recent episodes available streaming. Netflix for movies and older episodes of TV shows.

Occasionally, some things slip through the cracks not having regular TV. Like we didn't know the garbage men had gone on strike until after they didn't pick up our garbage, though it was all over the local news apparently.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #44
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

We could never give up our satellite TV. We just recently got Netflix, and I barely use it. We frequent our video store more often, but mainly we watch a lot of TV, and whatever movies we can find (there's always something good playing on some random channel!). It's the one bad habit I refuse to ditch!

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #45
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

It is strictly personal preference. If you are a casual TV watcher you will probably do fine with this but there is no way I could cut out my Satellite subscription or cable. I would look at every other corner I could cut before I cut my TV. I would ditch my cell phone way before messing with my TV but I'm a sports and TV nut.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: