Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Callie View Post
Which one has the option to "read outloud"?
The Tablets do - The Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Get the Fire HD. I bought it about two months ago. I mainly wanted a reader, but I was getting ready to go on an international trip and thought I might find the WiFi convenient. I was surprised to find that I used it more for WiFi than for reading, and I'm really surprised to find that is still the case now that we're home. I don't have a tablet or laptop -- if you do this may not be pertinent to you.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Callie View Post
Which one has the option to "read outloud"?
My keyboard and daughter's touch both have this option.
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

One more piece of advice. . . when you decide which one to buy, don't buy the first cover that pops up as there are ones with great ratings at a fraction of the price. I got a Fintie one that included a screen protector and stylus for about $14 including shipping.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

For the Paperwhite, I recommend rooCASE Ultra-Slim. It's $10 and doesn't add much weight or size to the Kindle. Love mine.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Nana2Callie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954 View Post
For the Paperwhite, I recommend rooCASE Ultra-Slim. It's $10 and doesn't add much weight or size to the Kindle. Love mine.
Just curious... which color did you get. The colors look so bright online like they might distract when reading.
Nana2Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

I got red. Yes it is bright, but it doesn't affect reading at all.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
Discrazymama
Mouseketeer

My oldest 2 have Fires, I have a keyboard 3g w/ad, my husband has the cheapest one and for Christmas my husband got me the paperwhite. I LOVE the paperwhite. Im a night reader who lays in bed reading for hrs and even with my bedside lamp on I had issues seeing sometimes since I would change positions. A week and a few books later Im in love. This thing is awesome. The touch screen has taken some adjusting simply b/c Im sloppy and put my hands anywhere to hold it but its hasn't been that bad.

For reading I wouldnt go with a Fire simply for being backlit and the short battery life. I read hrs a day and with my 3g/wifi off can go well over a month between charges. My daughter has to charge her kindle often when she uses it. The cheapest kindles are great and cheap so I would just buy both if you really want a reading devise and small tablet. I plan to give my oldest my old kindle (or switch it with my husbands) so she can read on that instead.
Dec 2010- CR, Jan 2011- POP
May 2011- SOG, Sept 2011- DL CCI
Feb 2012- BWI, July 2012- POP
Nov 2012 DL- PPH and CCI
Jan 2013 10yr anniversary trip- Pop and YC
Aug 2013- BWI girls trip, Sept 2013- DL CCI
Oct/Nov 2013- AoA & BC CL, Jan 2014 DL- GCH
Feb 2014 BC & AoA Mom/Daughter 8th bday trip! Aug 2014 DL Paris!
Discrazymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discrazymama View Post
My oldest 2 have Fires, I have a keyboard 3g w/ad, my husband has the cheapest one and for Christmas my husband got me the paperwhite. I LOVE the paperwhite. Im a night reader who lays in bed reading for hrs and even with my bedside lamp on I had issues seeing sometimes since I would change positions. A week and a few books later Im in love. This thing is awesome. The touch screen has taken some adjusting simply b/c Im sloppy and put my hands anywhere to hold it but its hasn't been that bad.

For reading I wouldnt go with a Fire simply for being backlit and the short battery life. I read hrs a day and with my 3g/wifi off can go well over a month between charges. My daughter has to charge her kindle often when she uses it. The cheapest kindles are great and cheap so I would just buy both if you really want a reading devise and small tablet. I plan to give my oldest my old kindle (or switch it with my husbands) so she can read on that instead.
I still have my keyboard 3g as well and love it, but have decided I want a paperwhite. Saving my amazon gift cards. Right now I have $100 and should have another $75 by the end of the month. I can't wait to get it!
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

We have 3. A Kindle Touch, Fire and a Paperwhite.

The Touch has been discontinued, you can't find one on Amazon, brand-new. My husband uses the Fire, he surfs the net with it, mostly. My daughter has the Touch, and the Paperwhite is mine, mine, MINE!! We are readers, and my husband is not. That is why he uses the Fire.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #26
cheshireqt
DIS Veteran

I have both the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Keyboard 3G.
I prefer the Kindle Keyboard because I do use a kindle just for reading and I prefer downloading books via Whispernet rather than wifi. Also even though not a big difference, it is just a bit lighter. There is an audio capability, but I have not used it. Love the keyboard because I am not good with touch screens.
Gave my pre-teen my Kindle Fire to replace her 1st Generation Kindle and she loves it.

I don't need all the other fancy jazz, I use my Droid for that when a laptop is not convenient and I have a slide out keyboard for that too!

AKL 8/2006, POFQ 9/2007, Universal-RPR 2/2009, :CBR 8/2009-4 generation GRANDGATHERING, Universal-HRH 8/2011
cheshireqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

I have had the kindle with the keyboard for 2 or 3 years. love reading on a kindle. DH got me a paperwhite for Christmas and I can't believe how much more I like it!! So, I vote paperwhite
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherlj View Post
I have had the kindle with the keyboard for 2 or 3 years. love reading on a kindle. DH got me a paperwhite for Christmas and I can't believe how much more I like it!! So, I vote paperwhite
I had a first gen Kindle, and my ILs replaced it with a Paperwhite for me for Christmas. I LOVE it. I didn't want a fire because I use my Iphone for online things and I only use my Kindle when I read before bed. I love the paperwhite. So easy to read.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: