DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post




We don't know how long ago the poster you quoted was looking. Might not have been quite the difference it is now.
I thought about that, which is why I quoted direct prices lower than what they are now and resale prices higher than what they are now. The gap in today's figures is even larger.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Caren90
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 642

I believe that the more information that can be found on the internet pertaining to direct vs. resale, the more difficult it is for a "guide" to make a sale stick to the end.

I would be interested to see how many people sign on the dotted line with pixie dust in their eyes, only to come home and do some internet research and then cancel their direct purchase. My guess would be that there may be more of this happening over the past 5-10 years than previously.

That is the problem with so many resorts and points floating around in the marketplace. Too many points (resale) available plus fewer direct buyers mean more aggressive and dishonest sales tactics.

Stephen
__________________
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
disbound09
Mouseketeer
 
disbound09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 299

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

IMHO the cost vs value is with resales. With that said changes that can be made by disney as was with 2011 changes are there. If they make too many changes they will face a backlash by DVC owners
disbound09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 6,651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90
I believe that the more information that can be found on the internet pertaining to direct vs. resale, the more difficult it is for a "guide" to make a sale stick to the end.

I would be interested to see how many people sign on the dotted line with pixie dust in their eyes, only to come home and do some internet research and then cancel their direct purchase. My guess would be that there may be more of this happening over the past 5-10 years than previously.

That is the problem with so many resorts and points floating around in the marketplace. Too many points (resale) available plus fewer direct buyers mean more aggressive and dishonest sales tactics.

Stephen
The problem for the salespeople is the ever-growing gap between direct and resale prices. I could understand people paying 10 or 20 percent more for direct contracts. But Disney keeps raising the price of their points and the cost of resale keeps falling, so it becomes difficult to justify paying twice as much for a direct contract than you would pay for resale.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #20
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Not to split hairs, but I'm not so sure I agree with your assessment that your "guide" (read: salesperson) gave you the "straight honest truth". Assuming you were looking at a standard 160 point AKV contract priced at $125 per point, the potential savings by buying resale could very well have been $8,000+ (assuming resale at $70 per point). That certainly sounds like more than "a few thousand dollars" to me. To me it sounds like he raised the objection before you could and then glanced over it in order to minimize the impact of the difference.
No problem, I understand splitting hairs is part of internet message boards. It was not an AKV contract, that wasn't the price, that wasn't the number of points, it wasn't raised before I could object and it wasn't glanced over. You weren't there and I didn't provide a complete transcript of the conversation, so I don't expect you to know how it went down. I'm just saying it was an honest presentation without resorting to scare tactics that I have seen quite a few people report. You don't have to believe me.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 7,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbound09 View Post
IMHO the cost vs value is with resales. With that said changes that can be made by disney as was with 2011 changes are there. If they make too many changes they will face a backlash by DVC owners
they've also made a number of changes that affected both direct and resale purchasers, such as taking away free valet parking (surprise - park for free, wake up the next morning and get charged!) and reallocating the point charts (lots of sunday to thursday DVC owners suddenly couldn't stay as many nights as they used to).

so far, DVC has borne any "backlash" with no ill effects...
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran
 
GrnMtnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wash DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,284

I am surprised nobody has mentioned title insurance and estoppel letters in this thread. Those are the things that assure you that you are getting what you agreed to in the contract.

The estoppel letter is a statement by DVC clearly explaining what the seller 'owns' and the status of the ownership...meaning are dues up to date, and how many points have been used or banked. The title company compares this information with the contract and only transfers ownership and money if the two things are in agreement.

Title insurance would get you your money back if there was some unknown issue with the seller's ownership.
__________________
80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
CBR 3/00
YC 10/02, 9/06
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15

Last edited by GrnMtnMan; 01-04-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: clarify
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
No problem, I understand splitting hairs is part of internet message boards. It was not an AKV contract, that wasn't the price, that wasn't the number of points, it wasn't raised before I could object and it wasn't glanced over. You weren't there and I didn't provide a complete transcript of the conversation, so I don't expect you to know how it went down. I'm just saying it was an honest presentation without resorting to scare tactics that I have seen quite a few people report. You don't have to believe me.
In order to put your comments in perspective, would you care to share the resort, price per point, number of points and timeline as to when this happened? Obviously I was just giving an example because you did not share this information in your initial post.
__________________

Last edited by ELMC; 01-04-2013 at 04:21 PM.
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #24
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
In order to put your comments in perspective, would you care to share the resort, price per point, number of points and timeline as to when this happened? Obviously I was just giving an example because you did not share this information in your initial post.
Not really, because giving a detailed account of the conversation wasn't the point. It was an honest presentation without the scare tactics and deception that some have reported here. I repeat what I said in my first post: it was pretty much the straight honest truth. You can disagree or not believe me or whatever else if you like. I'm comfortable with that. I'm not interested in debating what constitutes "a few."
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #25
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,211

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
so far, DVC has borne any "backlash" with no ill effects...
And that's the key. If they make changes there will be snarling and complaints but it's unlikely to have any real overall effect. You see periodically here someone who buys retail and pays about double for no reason of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMan View Post
I am surprised nobody has mentioned title insurance and estoppel letters in this thread. Those are the things that assure you that you are getting what you agreed to in the contract.

The estoppel letter is a statement by DVC clearly explaining what the seller 'owns' and the status of the ownership...meaning are dues up to date, and how many points have been used or banked. The title company compares this information with the contract and only transfers ownership and money if the two things are in agreement.

Title insurance would get you your money back if there was some unknown issue with the seller's ownership.
I think many of us assumed them but neither are perfect. It's still possible to have changes to the account after the letter is generated and title insurance only covers the big picture, not short term changes like the points were used.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #26
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,972

I guess the question is when the "backlash" will shift from complaining and griping on message boards over to real action. People can complain all they want, but until it starts to hit Disney in the pocketbook I doubt they'll really reconsider any of the changes they make. A good comparison would be ticket prices. We all complain that they are continuously going up, yet we still go to the parks. I'm sure some people might go less because of the prices, but it clearly hasn't hit a critical mass because the prices keep going up.
__________________

Last edited by ELMC; 01-04-2013 at 06:14 PM.
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran
 
GrnMtnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wash DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
It's still possible to have changes to the account after the letter is generated and title insurance only covers the big picture, not short term changes like the points were used.
A sales contract specifies how many points I am supposed to get when I take ownership. If those points are not there, the ownership will not change or I would have the grounds to make a title insurance claim and/or sue the title company, broker, or seller for breach of contract.

DVC will not allow a change in ownership while their is a existing reservation. And if a seller were to book a reservation between estoppel and closing, they'd have to go on that trip during that window. If the title company didn't catch this when they provided the ownership transfer to DVC, well, then, see above.

The bottom line is that you know what you are getting when buying resale...it's not like buying a used car where you can't truly know the repair history of a car. There's nowhere to hide surprises that are anything but outright and very obvious fraud. And I doubt that the scenario I described above is actually possible. I'd imagine there is some flag on an account once it has entered or passed the ROFR process that makes using the points raise some alarm.
__________________
80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
CBR 3/00
YC 10/02, 9/06
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15

Last edited by GrnMtnMan; 01-04-2013 at 06:52 PM.
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,211

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMan View Post
A sales contract specifies how many points I am supposed to get when I take ownership. If those points are not there, the ownership will not change or I would have the grounds to make a title insurance claim and/or sue the title company, broker, or seller for breach of contract.

DVC will not allow a change in ownership while their is a existing reservation. And if a seller were to book a reservation between estoppel and closing, they'd have to go on that trip during that window. If the title company didn't catch this when they provided the ownership transfer to DVC, well, then, see above.
I realize the risks are low and the protections very good. However, anything that requires you to pursue legal action to try to be whole is a losing proposition in this situation. I believe that most title insurances only cover that you're getting what you listed in big picture, not this years points for example. I am aware of several non DVC timeshares where the week was not available as agreed. We've also seen several reports the last few years where the points were not as agreed and there was back and forth between the seller, broker and buyer. Plus, I'm of the opinion that title insurance is not generally worth the cost with DVC.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
Caren90
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The problem for the salespeople is the ever-growing gap between direct and resale prices. I could understand people paying 10 or 20 percent more for direct contracts. But Disney keeps raising the price of their points and the cost of resale keeps falling, so it becomes difficult to justify paying twice as much for a direct contract than you would pay for resale.
Good point!

Stephen
__________________
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran
 
GrnMtnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wash DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I realize the risks are low and the protections very good. However, anything that requires you to pursue legal action to try to be whole is a losing proposition in this situation. I believe that most title insurances only cover that you're getting what you listed in big picture, not this years points for example. I am aware of several non DVC timeshares where the week was not available as agreed. We've also seen several reports the last few years where the points were not as agreed and there was back and forth between the seller, broker and buyer. Plus, I'm of the opinion that title insurance is not generally worth the cost with DVC.
Not worth $200 for title insurance? Really, on a $10,000-$20,000 purchase?

Anyway, there's a huge difference between caveat emptor and having recourse. And any scenario where you did not get what you agreed to get in the contract, you have recourse.

Not to mention the seller possibly committing fraud (criminal, if they knowingly take the sale money and use the points), and the broker and title professionals putting there licenses and reputations at risk.
__________________
80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
CBR 3/00
YC 10/02, 9/06
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: