Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #31
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Is it worth it? I guess that really depends on how you plan on using the resort. If you are a park commando who gets up early for rope drops and doesn't return until late into the night time hours from EMH and only need a room to crash your head at night, then it may be well worth saving the $766. If you are someone who enjoys relaxing a little by the pool, sitting in a hot tub after a long day, enjoys the beautiful landscapes with a leasurely stroll, and likes a queen size bed for the night, then the extra $766 is well worth spending to have those amenities outside of a value. For me, those amenities are an essential and I will pay to have them. So in short, there is no right or wrong answer here, it depends on the individual.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #32
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecshawn View Post
that make no sense.. double is plenty room for 2 adults. What are you 7'5? and 550 lbs?
Sorry, I am 5'11" and less than 160 lbs, my DW is 5'4" is not heavy (but for my health sake I won't mention weight, LOL) and a double bed is absolutely, positively, and without a doubt uncomfortable for us. Glad it works for you, but it won't for me.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #33
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer

How much time do you spend in the room? If its just to sleep and rest I would say its fine. If you like enjoying the resort itself for as part of your vacation over just the parks i would go moderate. Either way its Disney and it will be a good time.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #34
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotminnie View Post
For me, it depends on the purpose of the trip. I have stayed at 3 of the values (multiple times), 3 moderates (multiple times) and 4 of the deluxes. If it were a special occasion and I was not going to the parks much, I would splurge on a nicer resort. Otherwise, I would save the cash for something else. I am headed back to one of the values next time since I will hit the parks hard. I am looking forward to it!
That is how we decide too. If we will be in the parks all day long, a value resort is just fine. If we want some time at the resort to relax and swim, then we stay at a moderate resort.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #35
Emme
DIS Veteran

Thank you all...this is sooo hard to decide!!

Keep the opinions coming please!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin View Post
I stayed at Pop Century during my last stay- I had 5 month old and 4 yr old at the time. The room was too small for a pack n play, a stroller, and a 4 year old jumping around! The walk to the bus stop and cafeteria was almost unbearable! On our next trip tho April we decided to spend the extra $$ for some perks of a moderate - more than one bus stop - better beds - a table service restaurant on site - and a nicer pool! If you have older kids - and will really "just sleep there" why not save the $$.
Next trip you need to look at a resort map and request room locations that works for your family. I've "been there" with kids and I know about the walks and all the extra stuff you need for youngsters. I always made requests and must say got 99% of them. The Moderates are just as spread out as the values.Just with more square footage Enjoy the planning !

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #37
hvanes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I like the values. I think that all of the All Stars are about the same nice wise, but you'll probably get varying opinions on that.

I think it depends what is more important to you - would you rather have a bit more spending cash with fewer amenities (sit down restaraurant, boat to DTD), or would you prefer more amenities.

We're almost never in our room, so values are great for us. My kids love the themeing, but now that we are a family of 5 we're heading to POR. If I head back with just 4 or less at any point, I'll go right back to the value.

It's just your preference. If you're in the room/at the resort more, I'd go with the mod. If you're not going to be there at all, I'd go with the value.
I haven't read all the replies, but I agree with this. We stayed at Sports in June '11 and found it really clean and cute. {CLEAN is HUGE for me. Give me small and fresh over big and musty ANY day.} I haven't stayed at Music or Movies so I can't speak to them specifically but for the amount of time we spent in our rooms, it was great. I *think* the Sports rooms had been recently updated. We stayed in the building closest to the big pool and the lobby/restaurant (I think it's called Surf's Up). It was great to have such a short walk to everything but did get a little noisy at night.

My feeling is that if you're going to spend a lot of time in your room, splurge. But if you plan to be in the parks or DTD or at various ADR's, use the $800 somewhere else.

**ETA**
We stayed at the Boardwalk Inn (deluxe - Club Level!) the year BEFORE staying at Sports, and I still found lots to like about Sports... but again, we basically slept there, rested there in the afternoon, swam in the pool a few times, and showered/dressed there. Otherwise our trip was all about exploring the rest of the World.

Last edited by hvanes; 01-04-2013 at 10:21 AM.
hvanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #38
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizeemom4

Ok. That wasn't nice.

I am 5'4 and hubby is 6'1 and both of us are on the thin side. There's no way we would be comfortable sleeping in a double bed even for one night.
Lol. I'm 5'2" and DH is 5'11" and we sleep in a GASP full size bed!!!!! Every night!!! The horror! Hahaha. One day we will get our king!

To the OP we stay value when we are on a budget trip and we love it. We would rather go to disney and stay value than not go at all. Our value of choice is Asmu. We love it there! Once we actually got pixie dusted to a family suite! We are not fans of POP at all. The beds are rock hard. Never again.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #39
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

We love in-your-face-Disney, so for us, the Values works best. But we stay in a suite, so it does makes a huge difference.

We love the extra space, so next time we go (in 4-5 years) we will just rent a house offsite, as we're planning to go to Universal too (kids are too young right now).

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #40
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
Sorry, I am 5'11" and less than 160 lbs, my DW is 5'4" is not heavy (but for my health sake I won't mention weight, LOL) and a double bed is absolutely, positively, and without a doubt uncomfortable for us. Glad it works for you, but it won't for me.
Fair enough
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #41
neptuneflame
Mouseketeer

Value Girl

Every time I start looking at prices for a Disney trip, I think I can talk my DH into going Deluxe, and everytime I end up talking myself into a value. Especially for $800. The way my DH puts it: Would you rather go for five nights in a deluxe, six in a moderate, or seven in a value? More time at Disney is my answer every time! Plus, then I don't worry so much about splurging on a souvenir or a glass of champagne (or two).

Before we had kids, when DH and I went to WDW, we mostly stayed in mods. That was back when they all had double beds. DH is 6'3", I'm 5'11". We each would take our own bed, and let me tell you, it was the best sleep either of us had gotten since our pre-married days. Made for a nice perk of our trip, though that may just be us.

Now that we have kids, I've looked into deluxes and the one thing they lack is a food court. With DD, we need the food court. I need to be able to get her the most toddler-friendly food and the most toddler-friendly hours. We ended up in the food court way more than expected on our first trip with DD, which is why we've chosen POP for our subsequent trips because the food court is great.

Lastly, I priced a moderate trip for our latest adventure, and I experienced the sticker shock a lot of you on the Disboards have mentioned. It used to be that mods had standard and preferred. Now, it seems Disney has upgraded and recategorized rooms to create multiple tiers of upcharges.

The difference between value and moderate used to be *just* out of reach. Say, $300 or so. Now, it's a no brainer that I'm saving that money for other things. Like more time at Disney.

May 1987, June 1998, May 2002 *engagement trip*, Dec/Jan 2003/4 *Honeymoon*, Mar 2005 (Disneyland), June 2005, Jan 2007, Mar 2008, Oct 2008, Jun 2009 (Disneyland), Mar 2011 *DD's first trip!*, Oct 2011, Jan 2013 *DS's first trip!*, Mar 2014 *DNephew's first trip!*, Oct 2014
neptuneflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #42
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
We aren't midgets, and we fit fit just fine. It is all about personal preference. For us, we would rather save the money and go again sooner than later. We sleep and shower in the room and that's about it.
This is us. We don't spend time in the room. Even if we take a morning or afternoon to stay at the hotel, we don't spend it in the room. We spend it out at the pool and my girls and anyone else we've traveled with have a good time at the pools. Might they enjoy the slides at the more expensive? Yes, but a cheaper room = more souvenirs, more days, or coming back sooner. This year it means a back to back cruise in December so we'll be at AoA in June.

But this is a personal decision for everyone. You know what you want out of a hotel and should choose based on that. We want a clean room, hot water, and comfortable beds to sleep in. So far we've found that at each of the values we've stayed.
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: