Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

Your bedding set deal= not gross at all, for the reasons already clearly stated by others.

But I'm going to jump in and defend used couches... they CAN be cleaned... either by removing the covers and washing them, or by cleaning with hot steam that will kill anything inside... (preferably BOTH) if "it's still germs, just dead germs" or "it's still pee, just sanitized pee" REALLY bothers you, I take it you NEVER go in any pool, hot-tub or bathtub other than your own and only water that you have personally boiled then filtered?

I'm not saying I'll buy one if it looks the slightest bit questionable... but if it looks clean and smells clean, it's good enough for me... you wouldn't believe the kinds of ick my nasty little houseapes have done to my furniture in the last 9 years! Any self-respecting germ would REFUSE to live in my couches!!!

I'm actually about to get "new" couches, and if I could find decent looking used ones, heck yes I'd buy them! $2-3k back in my pocket??? Yep!!!
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
gator75
DIS Veteran

Nope not gross at all , and that was a heck of a deal to boot. they have been washed so nope nothing gross about your purchase.
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

nope. heck i think the dishes in the break area at my office are grosser than that. i agree with the hotel argument, its like people may say buying dishes used is gross but don't you go to a restaurant? also another place you share linens.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Not gross at all, you washed it, it's clean, you're good to go.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
Not gross. Do these same people also not sleep in hotel beds? You are using someone else'e bedding there and don't even know for sure that is has been washed.
Agreed! So funny for someone to even say that. Obviously, you would have seen if the items were nasty and wouldn't have purchased them.

I've seen remarks made on these boards when someone bought used dishes or silverware at a yard sale. Generally, the response it that the stuff in restaurants is washed and reused.

I think you got a great deal and would have done the same myself.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Yesterday DH and I bought a used Pottery Barn duvet cover, shams, and pillows off of craigslist. The set would have originally been around $300, but we got it for $40. The set was in someone's guest room, is no more than two years old, and has seen very little use (the owners were having a baby and converting the guest room). The duvet cover and shams went directly into the washing machine when we got home, and the pillows were washed as well (these were decorative pillows... not the kind people actually sleep on, and looked sparkling clean).

Anyway, DH went to work today bragging about his score, and his coworkers were totally grossed out by the idea of buying used bedding. Honestly, I am a HUGE germaphobe, and I personally see nothing odd about a used duvet cover. A used comforter or down blanket, maybem but a duvet cover is basically a sheet, and aren't we all sleeping on used sheets in hotels without flinching? I mean, those are much worse, because countless strangers are using them, rather than the occasional guest in this person's guest room. I'll admit the used pillows are kinda iffy, but they are the kind you just put on the bed when you make it, and are not of actual use other than decoration (and we are washing them).

So, I am curious what you all think. Is it gross?

I might add that DH wants to buy a used couch on craigslist and I refuse. That I think really is gross, as a couch is not washable. (Just to let you know my quirky boundaries).

Since it is washable, NO, it is not gross.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I've become extremely careful in recent years over what kind of used items can come into the house ... mostly because the thought of a bedbug infestation bothers me. I wouldn't go near a used couch.

Used bedding wouldn't even make me blink an eye. I'd buy it, put it in a plastic bag in the car, and it would go right into my washing machine as soon as it came into the house.

No problem.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

I'll do used upholstered furniture in summer, but not winter. You can kill anything in it by wrapping it tightly in black plastic and letting it sit in hot sun for three days. As far as I'm concerned, the only issue is vermin and odors; if it smells OK in the summer and looks OK, then I'll take it and treat it, and if necessary, re-upholster it if the piece is special enough

Example: my 1848 Swan-neck Gentleman's rocker, just like this one -- I got it for $200 at a local antique mall; it is worth 10 times that, even with the upholstery replaced. The man who had owned it died at age 101, and it was his favorite chair -- the upholstery was a disaster and smelled to high heaven, but for this chair, it was well worth the effort. It is solid mahogany, weighs upward of 100 lbs and has springs and horsehair padding in the seat. I *LOVE* this chair, and so does everyone who visits my house. It is super-comfy and beautiful, too.

FWIW, casegoods can also get bedbug infestations, so it's a good idea to to do the black plastic treatment on those as well, especially bedroom furniture.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
hellow
Mouseketeer

Anything that can be washed in hot water is not gross used.

I have to agree about the fear of bedbugs with used couches now. I have purchased them in the past, but have seen too many shows about bed bug infestations so I have a new phobia.
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Not gross. But I have to admit when my husband and I first got married and were still in college we furnished our entire apartment with furniture we picked off the side of the road during our city's large item disposal day. Now, I wouldn't do that today because our resources to buy new are better and due to bedbug concerns but I don't really see sitting on a used couch as any different than sitting on a hotel room or lobby couch or a couch in the waiting room of a hospital (yuck, talk about potential for body fluids). We've probably all done that and realistically, aside from a couple of bug/pest issues aside, your chance of catching something from an innate object like a couch is slim to none.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Not gross at all and unless the coworkers never stay in a hotel that doesn't make sense to say such. I think if those coworkers realized the bugs and yuk in some overseas factories that make our clothing and bedding, that we buy new, they would be walking around naked if they really meant what they said. lol

Now a couch or furniture I would worry about roaches or bedbugs but to each their own some people don't worry about those things.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
danygirl
Mouseketeer

hotels are yuckky....

this sounds like something that was hardly used and you washed it in hot water - so now it is nice and clean. nothing gross about this.
maybe those coworkers would rather be out $260 more dollars
danygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

I do not think it is gross and I am a germaphobe as well. I personally think that someone in the office ( who over paid ) was jealous of the great find and started the " gross" band wagon. Might not be true, but just my hunch.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #29
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I bought a king sized flat sheet at the Goodwill to use at the beach. I brought it home all happy with our new beach sheet and DH was totally grossed out. Made no sense to me. I said first of all the Goodwill here is required to wash all bedding before putting it out. Second I washed the sheet in hot water. Third and most importantly, it was for the BEACH! Whatev's I still used it...and so did he...LOL!

What a great find for you though! Love good deals like that!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
dunbarfamily
I'm a proud homebirthing crunchy mama who loves Walt Disney World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Yesterday DH and I bought a used Pottery Barn duvet cover, shams, and pillows off of craigslist. The set would have originally been around $300, but we got it for $40. The set was in someone's guest room, is no more than two years old, and has seen very little use (the owners were having a baby and converting the guest room). The duvet cover and shams went directly into the washing machine when we got home, and the pillows were washed as well (these were decorative pillows... not the kind people actually sleep on, and looked sparkling clean).

Anyway, DH went to work today bragging about his score, and his coworkers were totally grossed out by the idea of buying used bedding. Honestly, I am a HUGE germaphobe, and I personally see nothing odd about a used duvet cover. A used comforter or down blanket, maybem but a duvet cover is basically a sheet, and aren't we all sleeping on used sheets in hotels without flinching? I mean, those are much worse, because countless strangers are using them, rather than the occasional guest in this person's guest room. I'll admit the used pillows are kinda iffy, but they are the kind you just put on the bed when you make it, and are not of actual use other than decoration (and we are washing them).

So, I am curious what you all think. Is it gross?

I might add that DH wants to buy a used couch on craigslist and I refuse. That I think really is gross, as a couch is not washable. (Just to let you know my quirky boundaries).
I don't think the bedding is gross. The couch, yeah...I don't think I'd be able to buy a used couch.

Our next trip: Adults only Disney Wonder 11-14-14
Past trips:4-14 Pop Century/1-13 Pop Century/1-12 BLT/10-11 AK/2-11 BLT & DCL/2-10 DCL & VWL/10-09 AS Movies/5-09 AS Movies/12-08 OKW/5-08 AS Sports/1-08 DCL& Villas at WL/9-07 AS Movies/12-06 AS Music/11-05 Offsite
And too many trips to count with grandma & papa when I was little

DVC members since June '07 at Animal Kingdom & Founding Members at Bay Lake

dunbarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: