Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #2101
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
We flew into Seattle, stayed a night and took the Amtrak train to Vancouver. It was AWESOME. If you don't want to stay overnight, they also have an evening train.
Two small cautions with Amtrak:

1. Given that this poster is traveling with older parents, if one is in a wheelchair, take it from a wheelie--Amtrak stinks. Wheelies will only be allowed to sit with one other member of the party, and they will not have access to most of the train. Also, getting into the station can be tough in a chair because it's all torn up.

2. Be sure that you are taking the Amtrak train and not the Amtrak bus. If you take the bus, you may as well take the Quick Shuttle. You'll pay a lot less, and the terminals are more convenient to access.

If you have a wheelchair user in your party, take the Quick Shuttle. So long as you notify them in advance, they are GREAT about lifts, and their drivers are all well trained in how to use them.

If you don't, however, I've heard the trip on Amtrak is beautiful.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #2102
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I am coming from Fl too. For me to fly into Canada was nearly $1000. On SW I could go free. My flight arrives early enough to get the bus or train to Vancouver that night. I will arrive at 1030pm. I wanted to take the train but the added expense of getting to DT and getting from the train to hotel and late at night made my choice to take quick shuttle and can have lunch at seatack and still have plenty of time to get to Vancouver as I may have 3 hours from when I get off the plane until it leaves.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #2103
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
Two small cautions with Amtrak:

1. Given that this poster is traveling with older parents, if one is in a wheelchair, take it from a wheelie--Amtrak stinks. Wheelies will only be allowed to sit with one other member of the party, and they will not have access to most of the train. Also, getting into the station can be tough in a chair because it's all torn up.

2. Be sure that you are taking the Amtrak train and not the Amtrak bus. If you take the bus, you may as well take the Quick Shuttle. You'll pay a lot less, and the terminals are more convenient to access.

If you have a wheelchair user in your party, take the Quick Shuttle. So long as you notify them in advance, they are GREAT about lifts, and their drivers are all well trained in how to use them.

If you don't, however, I've heard the trip on Amtrak is beautiful.
Thanks for the reply! My parents are, fortunately, nowhere near mobility limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
I am coming from Fl too. For me to fly into Canada was nearly $1000. On SW I could go free. My flight arrives early enough to get the bus or train to Vancouver that night. I will arrive at 1030pm. I wanted to take the train but the added expense of getting to DT and getting from the train to hotel and late at night made my choice to take quick shuttle and can have lunch at seatack and still have plenty of time to get to Vancouver as I may have 3 hours from when I get off the plane until it leaves.
How lucky to be able to fly free! If that were our situation, there'd be no question that we would go through Seattle. We actually discussed our plans with some extended family that did the same kind of trip a few years ago, and while they went through Seattle, they told us that they wish they had just bit the bullet and paid to go through Vancouver. Trekking all the luggage through all the extra steps in Seattle was exhausting, they said. Granted, they had more luggage 'cause their cruise was 2 weeks long. Also, they opted to rent a car and drive to Vancouver themselves.

So now, I'm still so unsure. Save a few hundred and go through Seattle, or just pay for the least hassle and go through Vancouver? The latest airfare deal went through June 4th, so I'm hoping that if I wait just a little bit longer, a great fare will pop to make the decision for me.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #2104
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
So now, I'm still so unsure. Save a few hundred and go through Seattle, or just pay for the least hassle and go through Vancouver? The latest airfare deal went through June 4th, so I'm hoping that if I wait just a little bit longer, a great fare will pop to make the decision for me.
Quite honestly, if you take either the Quick Shuttle or Amtrak, I don't think you'll find things to be that bad. I really wouldn't drive it.

If you're worried about schlepping things to too many different places (and, to be honest, with all of our medical equipment, we really sympathize with that), make sure you buy cruise insurance (and not through Disney) just in case something goes wrong at the border, take the Eastside for Hire to the Best Western Executive Inn, and then take the QuickShuttle the next morning all the way to the Cruise Terminal. If you take the 7:05 a.m. bus, you should be at Canada Place by 11:30 a.m.--minimal schleppage.

Bus service is much less likely to be interrupted by a problem than car service at the border, so it's very unlikely you'd have a problem. If you plan to leave for the cruise terminal on the same day you're cruising, however, don't take the train--you'll be better served by the QuickShuttle.

Again, if schlepping stuff is an issue, take the QuickShuttle back from the cruise. They pick up right at the cruise terminal--it's very easy.--and will drop you off either at the Executive Inn or Sea-Tac.

The one thing I would suggest, however, is to bring snacks or meals and drinks onto the bus. Sometimes they make a snack stop, sometimes they don't. There is a restroom available on the bus, if needs be.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #2105
TinkTatoo
Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulder
Hooked on Disney Cruises

Amtrack Question

How easy is it to get from the ship to the train station, would we need a taxi?

Also, is it worth paying extra for the business class seats

Thanks for the help

Last edited by TinkTatoo; 01-15-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added another question
TinkTatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #2106
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
Amtrack Question

How easy is it to get from the ship to the train station, would we need a taxi?

Also, is it worth paying extra for the business class seats

Thanks for the help
Can't help you with the business class seats, but you'd probably need a taxi.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #2107
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Just booked the Westin Grand through Priceline for June 28-July 1 before this summer's cruise!

Location-wise, it seems to be very accessible to some great dining/nightlife. If we are interested in seeing Stanley Park or Grouse Mountain during our time in the city, can anyone make a recommendation for how to get there? How close are we to trains/public transport? Would you recommend it, or recommend cabbing it wherever we need to go, or renting a car? Parking at the hotel seems to be a bit pricey ($20-something per day)...would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #2108
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Bumoing this up in response to some questions as the summer Alaska season is approaching.
Thanks again Lollipop's mom

NW
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #2109
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Hi
I havent read thru the entire thread so if this has been discussed I apologize.

I'm thinking of flying to Seattle then taking the train over to Vancouver.
is it thru Amtrak?
How long will this take?
Is it scenic?

Thanks, Lori
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #2110
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
Hi
I havent read thru the entire thread so if this has been discussed I apologize.

I'm thinking of flying to Seattle then taking the train over to Vancouver.
is it thru Amtrak?
How long will this take?
Is it scenic?

Thanks, Lori
Train is amtrak. It is scenic.

The Seattle thread has a link for the train and more details.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #2111
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
Train is amtrak. It is scenic.

The Seattle thread has a link for the train and more details.
Thanks!!!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #2112
OrcaPotter

Has anyone had any luck naming your own price using Priceline to get the Pan Pacific?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #2113
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck naming your own price using Priceline to get the Pan Pacific?
In 2011 I used Hotwire and got the Pan Pacific.

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #2114
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
I have not seen anything on Hotwire (what people used in 2011, as far as I have read) that resembles the Pan Pacific. However, I was able to get the Westin Grand for less than $150/night on Priceline - it is an all-suite hotel that isn't walking distance from Canada Place, but it is right downtown. I got this price for Canada Day/4th of July weekend, which I learned might be the most expensive time of the summer. Maybe I could have waited longer and gotten an even better deal, but I'm happy with what I've found.

There is a four-star hotel on Hotwire right now that I believe is the Hyatt Regency (very near the port). Someone on our cruise thread booked that hotel for almost exactly what I got the Westin Grand for....again, this is during 4th of July/Canada Day time, so relatively expensive part of the summer for travel.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #2115
OrcaPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
I have not seen anything on Hotwire (what people used in 2011, as far as I have read) that resembles the Pan Pacific. However, I was able to get the Westin Grand for less than $150/night on Priceline - it is an all-suite hotel that isn't walking distance from Canada Place, but it is right downtown. I got this price for Canada Day/4th of July weekend, which I learned might be the most expensive time of the summer. Maybe I could have waited longer and gotten an even better deal, but I'm happy with what I've found.

There is a four-star hotel on Hotwire right now that I believe is the Hyatt Regency (very near the port). Someone on our cruise thread booked that hotel for almost exactly what I got the Westin Grand for....again, this is during 4th of July/Canada Day time, so relatively expensive part of the summer for travel.
Thanks! Did you take a cab to the port? How much did that cost you?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: