Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

I'm so undecided on March vs. June...

We currently have a trip booked for the first week of March, but now that the new promo is out, I am considering changing the reservation to the second week of June. Our rates would be exactly the same.

Although I am dying to escape the cold in 56 days, I am a little concerned about a March trip, and would love some input from people who have traveled during both times of the year.

Early March makes me concerned for several reasons:

1. (this is my primary concern) It's the thick of flu and stomach bug season (and the flu has been bad here). The last thing I want is for one of us to get sick on the trip or all of us to get sick on the trip and for it to be a waste or partially a waste. I realize that anyone can get ill at anytime of the year, but the flu and stomach bugs are much less prevalent in June than they are in March.

2. I would like it to be summer-like when we travel. I don't necessarily mean 100 degrees, but warm enough to go swimming at night and not freeze your butt off when you get out. I can't really wrap my mind around how warm it truly is in early March in Florida. Will it even be warm enough that my kids will *want* to go swimming? Will we hit a cold patch and it only be in the 60s? (Not that 60 degrees isn't lovely, but if I'm coming from Pennsylvania after several long months of winter, I want it to be shorts and t-shirt weather.)

3. I'm having second thoughts about taking the kids out of school. We planned the trip for a week where they had 1.5 days off of school, so they're really only missing 3.5 days. But trips are a PITA--we have to have it approved (it will be), they have to write reports on the trip, they have to make up all of their work, etc. They are all good students, and they could definitely wind up being out of school for the same amount of time (or longer) with an illness, but I kinda feel bad about taking them out and handing them a whole bunch of work to do plus writing a paper about the trip as soon as we get back from vacation.

4. If we go in March, that's our trip for the year. The summer will be sort of anti-climactic as we won't plan another vacation, other than maybe a few day trips. I know I'll feel a little jealous of neighbors and friends headed off for weeks here and there when we vacationed back in March...

5. We could go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, which we haven't done yet. Plus, if we switch to June, we would get an extra day with the way our flight change would occur (but that also adds an extra day of expenses).

6. Plus, if we go in June, it's Stars Wars weekend. My kids and my husband will love that.

The cons of going in early June:

1. It could be hot. We went in late June/early July this past year, so we know what it's like in Florida in the thick of summer. I don't mind it. But I know my family isn't quite as thrilled about heat as I am. On the same hand, I know some people vow to never do Disney during the summer, and our family didn't find it so unbearable that no one said they wouldn't do it again (and it should be a little "cooler" towards early June as opposed to late June/early July...)

2. It adds another 100 days to our trip.

3. I have to pay for a flight change. It's not a huge expense ($250), but it's an added expense.

4. We would miss the flower show at Epcot. Granted, I'm probably the only one who cares about that, but...

Thoughts? Anyone feel strongly about one month vs. another?
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: