Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristen View Post
As well you should. I miss my Disney family.

How many times did you fly to LA and NOT visit us?

Remember that time you were in San Francisco while I sat in Sarangel's livingroom and Mike Berated you for not stopping by? a 30 minute drive to see your Disney family?

Not that I'm bitter.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #47
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Landbaron View Post
Mr. Kidds!!! PS: I am certainly NOT wrong about 1972 prices... Care to start a thread?!!!
Hmmmm.....let me look at some inflation rates first!

http://www.july171955.com/vBulletin/upload/index.php
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #48
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
How many times did you fly to LA and NOT visit us?
Hey, I don't want to land in that boat. I'll be in NOLA for the Super Bowl.

http://www.july171955.com/vBulletin/upload/index.php
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Yeah, bicker was here too, but he tended to stick to the debate board.

He had his head so far up management's rear. And not just disney's. I bet he was the kind of guy that was offended by the 99% wall street protesters while he wore his Armani suit to work and got his 100,000 bonus for losing money.

OK, that may be harsh. Still, he was a sharp pencil guy's sharp pencil guy.
He was definitely sharp pencil..but I think you'd be surprised at him, personally. Definitely not an Armani suit type guy.

We definitely didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things back in the RADP days. I remember his main "foil" was a poster named Carol...at least when I was carousing on RADP. But that was a LONG time ago.

I was firmly on the "declining by degrees" side of the fence...which tended to ruffle bickers feathers, as I recall.

Quote:
I have to admit, as I said before Disney has kind of hit a quiescent state. Things aren't right, but they've stabilized and Walt's park is doing ok.

If you're only Disney parks experience is Florida though... Well, I have to wonder why you'd bother to go. Get out here to California. It ain't Walt like, but at least it feels like the 1990s here.
Remember the Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris years? Ye gods, those were desolate days for DLR. Much better now.

I do wish Florida would get the kind of strong, creative presence that Lassiter brings to DLR. It's helped there, immensely. We tend to go to WDW because of it's size, scope, and relatively proximity. We can kill ten days there every year or so quite happily, even though I recognize it's not what it was during the 90's. I've been to DLR, both in my youth and as and adult....most recently in 2003, though. I really do prefer it, too. It's just maddeningly expensive to fly from CT to CA...and tougher to do with young kids. Likewise, driving isn't really an option.

Someday soon, though, we're going to head out there as a family. Probably in 2014 or 2015.....
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #50
YoHo

Right now, Team Disney Orlando seems to spend their days being bitter and plotting ways to undermine Anaheim. Like say, insisting they get rid of the Cast Member Christmas Party that has existed since 1955, because WDW doesn't have a similar party.

One has to wonder how long Lasseter and the benefits of being so close to Burbank are going to protect the Park that Walt built.

www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #51
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Right now, Team Disney Orlando seems to spend their days being bitter and plotting ways to undermine Anaheim. Like say, insisting they get rid of the Cast Member Christmas Party that has existed since 1955, because WDW doesn't have a similar party.

One has to wonder how long Lasseter and the benefits of being so close to Burbank are going to protect the Park that Walt built.
I don't know if it's bitterness or a complete lack of self awareness and creativity. Either way, it's taking it's toll on the parks. Meg Crofton reminds me a LOT of Pressler/Harris. She seems to be cut from the exact same cloth. And they continue to do exactly what Presller/Harris did during their terms: Make big gift shops, throw huge..and pretty meaningless...marketing promotions and cash grab every penny they can...while not really paying much attention to the real reason people are coming through the turnstiles. Crofton is a marketing exec to the hilt...just like Pressler and Harris were really retail executives. Not one of the 3 seem to have had a good idea on how to run operations at a theme park/resort.

FLE is a nice exception...they've done a good job on that piece of MK. But it seems that was in spite of, not because of, the WDW Executives.

I think Lasseter's presence buys DLR a good decade, provided he doesn't get distracted by something else. There's been rumblings that the Disney board wants to move him up the chain of the executive structure, which might take DLR off his direct radar. Or it might not. Or he may have no interest in climbing the corporate ladder (considering, at this point, he has FU money in spades).
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #52
YoHo

Lasseter is perhaps the most interesting piece of the Disney executive pie right now and if there is anything about Iger that makes him better than Eisner ever was, it's his willingness to have people like Lasseter remain involved and move up.

www.july171955.com

Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #53
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

Since we're talking RADP and bicker...let's see if this works. Should link to Brian's post, and mine are above and below, and there are a few others later on, that I had to post through dejanews. Oh, I feel so old!

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...g/1Zsg6qYQzlkJ

My time in RADP was 1996-2000ish. If anyone cares.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #54
cristen
DIS Veteran
Yes, you need to "clap or somebin"

Whoa. I don't even know how to read that Hope.

YoHo, did you just call me out on this board?! It is not a great excuse, but it is hard to do some things when you have 3 small children who only want to do what they want to do and only 2 days to do it in.

How's about we plan another get together. I haven't seen the Tiki bar thingy at the resort. OR to make it a little easier, let's meet with Sara and Mike at the museum. I have been wanting to go back. AND...there is someone important I have to meet.
cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #55
YoHo

Are you saying that putting me in cardboard princess tiaras wasn't enough of a draw?

www.july171955.com

Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #56
cristen
DIS Veteran
Yes, you need to "clap or somebin"

Will you please make that your profile pic? We STILL look at that picture and laugh at you.

I told you 3 hours was a long drive for you!! I felt bad! But I will go where you want me to now. Name the place.
cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #57
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

I've spent a lot of time on here through the week but hardly ever post anymore so to the "ripping" my favorite it the "troll" comments

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #58
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I'm glad that I looked in today. I used to love this forum and the characters that posted here. It was usually frustrating and sometimes downright maddening but it was also always interesting.

Did anyone ever find out who Another Voice was? I remember how much fun it was to conjecture about that.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Quote:
Did anyone ever find out who Another Voice was?
Yes we found out. But he had to return to his home world when the mother ship came back!!

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #60
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I have read through most of the archived threads! Amazing discussion. I guess because of the landbaron's avatar I heard Walt's voice in my head. Everybody was dedicated (or addicted) to those conversations.

Those threads are great history, and a fascinating read.

Curious, how did scoop erase all if his posts?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 01-06-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Figured out how to delete title ion.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: