Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #151
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
If certain people that you know don't stop taking advantage of the all you can eat shrimp at 'Ohana they will impose a per person shrimp limit.

You can always count on Barry to ruin it for everyone else.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #152
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Andy. I just hate when ignorant people who show up at the last minute think they can squeeze into any spot so they can have a view of the parade, blocking those that had been waiting as they should be (we had a similar situation at the Christmas parade and Mark got up from his spot just as the parade was going to start to let two kids sit who were standing behind me at first and were "squished out" by some overzealous morons.

Despite not having your camera, your pictures of the parade turned out pretty well.

We've eaten at Casey's only once in all the years we have been going to Disney. I get really bad heartburn from their hot dogs and definitely do NOT like corn nuggets or whatever they are.

Glad you got some rides in before you called it a night. Glad that DS ended up enjoing his pirate adventure. And you are at Disney...it's a requirement to get into a sword fight with someone.

A good night's rest was probably what you needed with the rugrats at your resort.
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #153
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Wow, rude people were just drawn to you that day!!! I hate parade spot poachers. I feel like telling them, "Yes, although I got here early and found a spot appropriately sized for my family to have a good view of the parade, feel free to march up at the last second and encroach on our space." That seems like a great little spot to see it though! We tried it out from Frontierland this time, and found a spot where people really couldn't crowd in around us, so it was really great! The nighttime parade is so much more enjoyable to me now with DS.

We ate at Casey's for the very first time this year, and I was pleasantly surprised!

Love the pics of your DS on the Carpets. He looks so excited!!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #154
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Rude people at parades can really take the fun out of everything. It's amazing how fast your blood pressure can go up, right? And then later you had to swim upstream to Adventureland. But you didn't get arrested for assault, so that's a win!

One of these days your son will like that cannon-battle scene in PotC. I know it's my favorite.

Sounds like the rest of the family really got a lot done that night.

Looking forward to more!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #155
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Sometimes I don't understand people's logic... In Nov. there was a family sitting on a blanket right at the rope for the parade. We there was a spot next to them and pulled the stroller right up. When the parade started they got up and were leaning over and moving forward so I had to hold Juliana for the entire parade for her to see. I guess it is their right to stand but they obstructed more than just our view for the parade.

Sounds like you guys had a great night in MK!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #156
amazingact21
Upendi

The joys of MK parades. It seems like nobody can go through a WDW trip without encountering some rude family trying to push their way into a good seat. I'm not even ashamed to say that I was happy reading about your choice to move the other family's kids in front of your stroller. Love when us polite parade-viewers passive aggresively stick it to rude guests.

An orange swirl Dole Whip sounds really good! Might have to break away from my obligatory pineapple flavor to try one of those one day.

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #157
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Return to the Magic
If only

Quote:

DS finally woke up from what amounted to an almost 3 hour nap!
Epic snoozing!
He should be ready for a nice long evening outing.

Quote:

We didn’t have much of a wait before we were on a monorail and on our way to the MK. We had just left the station when we came to a sudden stop. The recording about waiting on clearance or something started to play when someone came over the PA and sternly warned everyone not to lean on the doors, because it will cause the monorail to come to a sudden stop. Never heard that one before…
That’s a new one on me as well.
Good thing who ever it was didn’t succeed in falling out or they’d have been shutting down the whole monorail loop for quite some time.

Quote:

but we quickly found a spot in front of the Fire Station next to a lamp post right behind a couple who were sitting on the curb. We parked the stroller behind them right between the tape line and the lamp post. There was no way anyone would be able to crowd in here…
Somehow, I got’s me doubts.
Never underestimate the capacity of people to be rude.

But I suspect you already know that, otherwise you wouldn’t have had to set that one up.

Quote:

There was absoultely no room next to our stroller, but they somehow managed to cram their way in there. Their son was literally draped over the side of our stroller practically sitting on DS’s lap.
Like I said…

Quote:

It may have been a dirty trick, but what goes around comes around. I slept fine.
Andy restores balance to the force.

Quote:

I managed to get a few parade pictures, but again, I don’t think we even bothered to bring the camera that evening with the problems we were having with it, so all I have are crappy cell phone pictures.
Which still beats my really crappy lack of pictures from when we weren’t at Disney at any point in the last year…

Quote:

The parade was still going through that part of Main Street, and surprisingly, the lines at Casey’s were absolutely deserted.
You saw the whole parade and were still able to use the same parade against the rest of the folks to gain easy access to Casey’s.

The force was strong with you

Quote:

Not a perfect location for Wishes, but we had a good view of the castle and it wasn't extremely crowded there, so I can’t complain.
Yah you could…
We’d give you serious grief for doing so, but you do have the option.

Quote:

Nah, who am I kidding? The only one of those scenarios I considered was turning the stroller into a battering ram.

Quote:

We went through the gift shop where someone was unable to keep his hands off the conveniently located swords they have all over the place.

I bet it wasn’t one of the young’ens

Quote:

No, I’m not talking about DS, I’m talking about BiL.
Riiiight…
Like you didn’t join in on this one

Quote:

He and I may or may not have had an impromptu sword fight in the middle of the gift shop.

“So what now… Will it be it two immortals locked in an epic battle until Judgment Day and trumpets sound? Hmm?”

“Or you could surrender.”

Quote:

I made the obligatory stop at Aloha Isle and tried one of the orange swirl Dole Whips. I have to say, I really liked it.
Need to try the orange next time.
Just can’t say when next time will be right now.

Quote:

We weighed the pros and cons…

Would that be done in metric or imperial units?

Quote:

The report back from everyone else was that they did Monsters Inc., Buzz, It’s a Small World, Haunted Mansion and Thunder Mountain. Not a bad use of some evening EMH time.

Going commando…

Quote:

I headed up to Rix to fill our mugs and I think I might have grabbed a beer while I was there.

You think?

Might?

If you ain’t certain …
you probably had considerably more then one.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #158
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
The recording about waiting on clearance or something started to play when someone came over the PA and sternly warned everyone not to lean on the doors, because it will cause the monorail to come to a sudden stop. Never heard that one before, but I’m going to guess that someone had just leaned on a monorail door for the last time.
I'd be scared to lean against the doors, just out of principle.

Quote:
There was no way anyone would be able to crowd in here…
Famous last words.

Quote:
Just before the parade started another family comes running up. Mom, dad, 2 kids. They crammed right into the area where we were standing. Dad is complaining trying to get them to just leave. Mom is arguing that they have a few minutes before they need to get a monorail, and it won’t hurt anybody to sit there and watch part of the parade.
Except, you know, the people who are already occupying that space.

Quote:
This allowed them to see the parade while at the same time blocking the 2 kids from the rude family. It may have been a dirty trick, but what goes around comes around. I slept fine. I guess they either got the hint or decided it was finally time to catch their monorail, because they left.
Not dirty, just fighting fire with fire.

Quote:
I ordered a couple of chili dog meals and some corn dog nuggets.
Chili dogs? Don't sit next to Andy on the bus!

Quote:
It was ridiculous. I was seriously contemplating either using the stroller as a weapon, or taking the kids out and just carrying them and the stroller through the crowd.

Nah, who am I kidding? The only one of those scenarios I considered was turning the stroller into a battering ram.
That's what I figured. I sometimes imagine doing that even if there aren't huge crowds.

Quote:
When we got to the end of the ride, the CM there was singing along with the music. She actually had a very nice singing voice and was just singing along and then changing various lyrics to basically tell everybody to get out of the boat. It was great to see a CM having fun with her job and was just a little bit of extra magic.
Cute. Full points for creativity.

Quote:
We went through the gift shop where someone was unable to keep his hands off the conveniently located swords they have all over the place. No, I’m not talking about DS, I’m talking about BiL. He and I may or may not have had an impromptu sword fight in the middle of the gift shop.
Sounds like it wasn't just your BiL that had the problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #159
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Uggghh. Rude parade people are the worst! Glad that you managed to squeeze them out.

Too bad you weren't able to take full advantage of EMH, but it sounds like a good night's sleep was needed.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #160
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Andy. I just hate when ignorant people who show up at the last minute think they can squeeze into any spot so they can have a view of the parade, blocking those that had been waiting as they should be (we had a similar situation at the Christmas parade and Mark got up from his spot just as the parade was going to start to let two kids sit who were standing behind me at first and were "squished out" by some overzealous morons.
Almost as annoying as those pool hogging cheerleaders...

Quote:
Despite not having your camera, your pictures of the parade turned out pretty well.
Thanks. I didn't think they were too horrible for operating a phone with one hand while holding a kid.

Quote:
We've eaten at Casey's only once in all the years we have been going to Disney. I get really bad heartburn from their hot dogs and definitely do NOT like corn nuggets or whatever they are.
I actually don't recall having ever been there before this trip. We actually just ate there out of convenience that evening, but I actually liked it.

Quote:
Glad you got some rides in before you called it a night. Glad that DS ended up enjoing his pirate adventure. And you are at Disney...it's a requirement to get into a sword fight with someone.
Sounds like a good rule to me!

Quote:
A good night's rest was probably what you needed with the rugrats at your resort.
Rugrats??? You're being too kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Wow, rude people were just drawn to you that day!!! I hate parade spot poachers. I feel like telling them, "Yes, although I got here early and found a spot appropriately sized for my family to have a good view of the parade, feel free to march up at the last second and encroach on our space." That seems like a great little spot to see it though! We tried it out from Frontierland this time, and found a spot where people really couldn't crowd in around us, so it was really great! The nighttime parade is so much more enjoyable to me now with DS.
I really like watching from Frontierland, but since we were coming in so late, we thought it would be easiest to just stay near the entrance if we could find a good spot. I actually loved the location. We got to see the floats from the front as they came out, then see them go past us and around the corner.

Quote:
We ate at Casey's for the very first time this year, and I was pleasantly surprised!
They could probably use a little less bun with the chili dogs though.

Quote:
Love the pics of your DS on the Carpets. He looks so excited!!
He was. He loved Dumbo and all of his clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Rude people at parades can really take the fun out of everything. It's amazing how fast your blood pressure can go up, right? And then later you had to swim upstream to Adventureland. But you didn't get arrested for assault, so that's a win!
Yeah, all in all a good night. I kept calm and didn't do anything illegal.

Quote:
One of these days your son will like that cannon-battle scene in PotC. I know it's my favorite.
Me too. Well, second favorite anyway. Hard to top the jail scene with the dog.

Quote:
Sounds like the rest of the family really got a lot done that night.

Looking forward to more!
Yes, they definitely did. I can believe it though, the closing time for day guests was 10 pm, I believe. Even though we left just before 10, we could already tell the crowd was thinning. I'm sure the lines were all very short during EMH.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #161
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Sometimes I don't understand people's logic... In Nov. there was a family sitting on a blanket right at the rope for the parade. We there was a spot next to them and pulled the stroller right up. When the parade started they got up and were leaning over and moving forward so I had to hold Juliana for the entire parade for her to see. I guess it is their right to stand but they obstructed more than just our view for the parade.

Sounds like you guys had a great night in MK!
It seems like you can't go to a parade without something like that happening. That's why I really hate wasting valuable time by camping out really early for a good spot. It just makes it that much more annoying when you have all that time invested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
The joys of MK parades. It seems like nobody can go through a WDW trip without encountering some rude family trying to push their way into a good seat. I'm not even ashamed to say that I was happy reading about your choice to move the other family's kids in front of your stroller. Love when us polite parade-viewers passive aggresively stick it to rude guests.
Thanks, it felt good to win that one!

I actually felt bad for the other kids, but I was glad we were able to get them up there with a good view of the parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
An orange swirl Dole Whip sounds really good! Might have to break away from my obligatory pineapple flavor to try one of those one day.
It is very good. It was recommended by one of the DisDads and has actually been dubbed "the Nate" after the dad that discovered it. I did make one mistake though, the Nate is supposed to be a float.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
If only
One of these days...

Quote:
Epic snoozing!
He should be ready for a nice long evening outing.
But most importantly, not in a grumpy mood.

Quote:
That’s a new one on me as well.
Good thing who ever it was didn’t succeed in falling out or they’d have been shutting down the whole monorail loop for quite some time.
No kidding. I don't think we'd have made the 9pm parade, let alone the 7pm one.

Quote:
Somehow, I got’s me doubts.
Never underestimate the capacity of people to be rude.

But I suspect you already know that, otherwise you wouldn’t have had to set that one up.
Well duh! It is a Disney parade we're talking about here.

Quote:
Andy restores balance to the force.
It was a very moment... Although when they crowded I wanted to be a little more

Quote:
Which still beats my really crappy lack of pictures from when we weren’t at Disney at any point in the last year…
Excellent point...

Quote:
You saw the whole parade and were still able to use the same parade against the rest of the folks to gain easy access to Casey’s.

The force was strong with you
Hadn't thought about it that way, but yes.

Quote:
Yah you could…
We’d give you serious grief for doing so, but you do have the option.
No, I was seeing Wishes. It wasn't even an option.

Quote:
I bet it wasn’t one of the young’ens
Of course not. The responsible adults weren't about to let him get close enough to get his hands on one!

Quote:
Riiiight…
Like you didn’t join in on this one
Yo ho, yo ho, A pirate's life for me!

Quote:
Need to try the orange next time.
Just can’t say when next time will be right now.
Max seems like a smart kid. Shouldn't some school be offering him a full ride scholarship?

Quote:
Would that be done in metric or imperial units?

Quote:
You think?

Might?

If you ain’t certain …
you probably had considerably more then one.
Actually, I didn't drink much at the resort. I really wanted to one afternoon, but that's a story for later on. I know I went to fill mugs one evening and just felt compelled to grab a beer out of one of the coolers when I was in there. I think it was this night, but I don't remember for sure.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #162
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I'd be scared to lean against the doors, just out of principle.

Quote:
Famous last words.
Don't we all know that feeling. You always work to keep a defensible position for a parade, and someone always tries to encroach up on it.

Quote:
Except, you know, the people who are already occupying that space.
We paid all this money to be here. I wish these stupid people would just get out of our way so we can see the parade.

Quote:
Not dirty, just fighting fire with fire.

Quote:
Chili dogs? Don't sit next to Andy on the bus!
Good thing the "fighting fire with fire" had already been completed.

Quote:
That's what I figured. I sometimes imagine doing that even if there aren't huge crowds.
Honestly, the first thought that was running through my head was "I wonder what kind of thread I might see pop up on the Disboards if I just start leveling people with a double stroller."

Quote:
Cute. Full points for creativity.
Definitely! It was a nice little extra touch.

Quote:
Sounds like it wasn't just your BiL that had the problem.
We're too much alike. And that isn't always a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Uggghh. Rude parade people are the worst! Glad that you managed to squeeze them out.
True, but it wouldn't be Disney without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Too bad you weren't able to take full advantage of EMH, but it sounds like a good night's sleep was needed.
I would have definitely loved to have gotten more park time that night, but we really needed some rest. No meltdowns had occurred, but DW and I were both starting to get a little bit irritable that afternoon. Some downtime and rest was just what we needed.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #163
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
That really seems to be the case. Somebody does something stupid, somebody else get sued, we all have to deal with some new rule or law.
It's true. That's exactly what my business deals with. forensic engineering. Stupid people using things as they shouldn't be used keep us in business. That and mother nature. Occasionally it really is the manufacturers, or property owner, or contractors fault but it truly is mind boggling some of the things people try to do.

Quote:
I'm sure there are more things that go into every aspect of the design than we could ever imagine. Truthfully, I'm kind of jealous that you know an engineer that knows about that kind of stuff. It really would be fascinating to learn some of the how and why that goes into some of these designs.
I was the biggest geek ever at his interview. I got to interview an Imagineer! LOL. It is cool to chat with him about what he's worked on, he did some pretty major stuff for both companies. He'll chat my ear off though, this week it was all about the logistics of laying ride track when underground piping hadn't been laid deep enough to withstand the weight of the crane they'd need to be able to use above the piping, get the track in and all the various workarounds (and cost overruns). Pretty fascinating stuff.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #164
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

UGH on the rude family, I am glad they left and happy you were able to let a few other kids get closer, I'm always so touched when people do that for the E's.

I've still never been to Casey's or Aloha Isle, one of these days I swear!

Sounds like a great evening, you really got a lot done I think despite the crowds and still had time for baths, a beer and a lovely lobby photo!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #165
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I was the biggest geek ever at his interview. I got to interview an Imagineer! LOL. It is cool to chat with him about what he's worked on, he did some pretty major stuff for both companies. He'll chat my ear off though, this week it was all about the logistics of laying ride track when underground piping hadn't been laid deep enough to withstand the weight of the crane they'd need to be able to use above the piping, get the track in and all the various workarounds (and cost overruns). Pretty fascinating stuff.
Yeah, I'm kind of a nerd about that stuff too. It would be interesting to hear some of those stories.

Quote:
UGH on the rude family, I am glad they left and happy you were able to let a few other kids get closer, I'm always so touched when people do that for the E's.
It helps that they were really nice. DW had been chatting with the mom from that family and they were all really nice. Their kids were even playing with DS a little bit before the parade. I'm definitely going to try to help someone like that out if I can. Especially at the expense of the rude ones!

Quote:
I've still never been to Casey's or Aloha Isle, one of these days I swear!
Truthfully, I'd never been to Aloha Isle before last year, and I believe this was my first ever meal at Casey's.

Quote:
Sounds like a great evening, you really got a lot done I think despite the crowds and still had time for baths, a beer and a lovely lobby photo!
It was definitely a nice evening. We really just wanted to see MSEP and Wishes since it was the only night we'd be able too. The rest was just bonus!

Tags
bar, csr, mvmcp, pop warner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: