Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Tipping Question...Palo & Cabanas

My husband and I are taking a cruise for our anniversary. We are just doing a quick 3 night so we don't have to leave the kids for too long.

We have decided that we are going to eat in the MDR for the first night and then Cabanas for second night and Palo for the last night. We have never eaten Cabanas for dinner or Palo so we are looking forward to a little change. And we have taken Disney cruises before so skipping the MDRs is not a big deal for us. But I am just not sure about tipping and have a few questions.

1. Cabanas do we tip there? I am sure we do. How much?

2. Palo what about tipping there. How much?

3. We plan on tipping our MDR servers the normal amount even though we will not be there much. What is the best way to get our tip to them? We will only see them on the first night. We always do buffet for breakfast and lunch.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Cabanas is a training restaurant at dinner. No tip is expected or required. Of course, the will not turn down a few dollars if offered in cash. There is no way to charge a tip unless you order a bar item as you will not be asked to sign a charge tip.

Palo--per DCL, the gratuity is included in the upcharge but many guests choost to leave additional tip. This can easily be charged to your KTTW account--at the end of the meal you will get a folder and sign the charge slip whether it shows just the upcharge, a comp, or a bar purchase. There is a line to add additional gratuity. I've read everything from $5 to $50 per person on these boards. We typically leave an additional $10 per person.

Your MDR servers will get their tips whether you give them the coupons or not. In order to give them the coupons, you can stop at the MDR before your other dinner plans and give the envelopes to them or to the head server (and ask him to get them to the individuals).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
plutojudy
Needs sunshine and seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Palo--per DCL, the gratuity is included in the upcharge but many guests choost to leave additional tip. This can easily be charged to your KTTW account--at the end of the meal you will get a folder and sign the charge slip whether it shows just the upcharge, a comp, or a bar purchase. There is a line to add additional gratuity. I've read everything from $5 to $50 per person on these boards. We typically leave an additional $10 per person.
We are first time Platinum for this cruise. How does tipping work with our visit to Palo? Will we still receive a folder with the opportunity to tip?

Cruise # 13 - Magic - February 22, 2015
Cruise # 14 - Fantasy - February 13, 2016 - Tortola

Disney Wonder - 2000 Nassau, 2001 Nassau, Freeport, 2011 Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan
Disney Magic - 2002 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John 2003 Western Mystery cruise, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Key West, 2004 Western, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 2007 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, 2009 Eastern, St Croix, St Thomas 2010 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John
Disney Dream -2012 Nassau
Disney Fantasy - 2013 Eastern, St Thomas, San Juan 2014 Western, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica
Disneyland Hotel, Fort Wilderness Home, Yacht and Beach Club, Caribbean Beach, Dixie Landings, All Star Movie, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, All Star Music, Art of Animation
plutojudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutojudy View Post
We are first time Platinum for this cruise. How does tipping work with our visit to Palo? Will we still receive a folder with the opportunity to tip?
You still get the folder, but it shows the Palo comp for platinum. It will show the charges for any bar items and have a line for additional gratuity. You do sign it even if you leave the zero balance so they have proof you actually were there.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
3. We plan on tipping our MDR servers the normal amount even though we will not be there much. What is the best way to get our tip to them? We will only see them on the first night. We always do buffet for breakfast and lunch.
I just wanted to point out that the servers work other locations and other meals, not just the dinners in the MDRs. So while YOUR tip goes to so-and-so assigned to you for dinner, the tip also covers any work they do at other meals and locations where it is not customary to leave a tip.

Happy anniversary and enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
BeerManZ
Earning My Ears

We are doing a Palo brunch and a dinner on our upcoming cruise. I'm glad this question about tipping was asked - I had no clue!
BeerManZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: