Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #46
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Just off the 2 week Panama Canal cruise and noticed that on quite a few of the days, there was actually a CM posted outside the door who would keep an eye on the machines. If someone wasn't there to change over or retrieve their items when the cycle finished, he/she loaded all the items from the machine into a large, clear plastic bag and it went onto the counter/ironing board where it sat until said person did return. Not sure if this is something they're tinkering with or if it was just something "special" for the longer cruise, but it was effective.

I believe there was also an issue with one of the laundry rooms being completely closed for a couple of days due to repairs (the whole laundry room) which may have also lead to complaints and thus, the CM posted on laundry duty.

ETA: Just read back and saw where they were still doing this out of Miami this past week. That would be the Wonder, the same ship I was on. I wouldn't mind seeing the same thing done on all the ships.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #47
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ
I certainly wouldn't have folded it for the person! I waited (and waited and waited) for someone to remove their clothes then by consent of other people also waiting for a dryer, I removed it. the pile of clothes was still there a week later at the end of the cruise.
I know! I was a little weirded out by the folding... I would be mortified if someone folded my skivvies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise
Just off the 2 week Panama Canal cruise and noticed that on quite a few of the days, there was actually a CM posted outside the door who would keep an eye on the machines. If someone wasn't there to change over or retrieve their items when the cycle finished, he/she loaded all the items from the machine into a large, clear plastic bag and it went onto the counter/ironing board where it sat until said person did return. Not sure if this is something they're tinkering with or if it was just something "special" for the longer cruise, but it was effective.
That's great!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #48
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Midway through a two-week cruise the laundry room starts getting busy at 5:45 a.m. just sayin.
We're on a one week, so no worries about that. I'm hoping to do the laundry right before we cruise, so I'll probably need to wash a few things around day 5...
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #49
DisneyManFamily4
Mouseketeer

I was also on the EBPC and had an unexpected situation with the laundry come up. I was washing and noticed one dryer was going to be done about the time my first wash would be done. The guy came back and started another cycle on it saying his stuff wasn't dry. I had no problem with that and used another dryer that was ready a few minutes later. In the meantime I had already started a second load and thought I would be able to use his dryer for my second load after he was done. I left and returned at the time his load would have finished. Well, he had come back early and taken his stuff out. There was another lady who had waited on me to get my stuff out of the washer. She kindly dropped a hint that she was waiting on my washer and that his dryer had been empty since she got there. I didn't really put all this together until after she left. I know I probably annoyed her by arriving "late" for my stuff but I had no idea that he would have taken his stuff out early. I would have been "on-time" had he used all his time. He took his stuff out early so that made me "late." I don't expect anyone to call me or babysit my stuff, either. I just wanted to share that sometimes things happen and not everyone is purposely being inconsiderate and selfish.
I still wish I had thanked her specifically for not taking my stuff out...I also regret not using my comment card to suggest having more dryers than washers in the laundry rooms, since most issues I've seen have usually involved the dryers not working properly.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #50
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

We do laundry on the ship so that we can bring home clean clothes & unpack them. Last month, on the Fantasy, the laundry rooms always seemed busy. Finally, we had to do the laundry, so we decided to wait around. No one was coming to get their stuff out of their 2 washers so after 30+ minutes, DH & I put their stuff into the 2 dryers & left the doors open. We also told the stateroom attendant that was right there. Well, we always use the timers on our iPhones to alert us before the laundry will be done. We set it for 35 min since its a 45 min cycle (on the Fantasy), giving us time to get there. When we arrived, the people STILL hadn't started the dryers or come to get their stuff, so we moved them back into the 2 washers they originally came out of & we used the 2 dryers.

That means that stuff had been left there over 1 1/2 hours after it the washer had been done! Laundry on the ship reminds me so much of doing laundry in the dorms in college!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #51
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
We've found the best times to do laundry are early (DH & I are early risers, even on vacation) and during dinner. Just keep an eye on the time and pop on back to the laundry room between courses to switch from washer to dryer. Another good time is the turnover day, if you're doing a B2B. You put the load in the washer before disembarking, stick a post-in on the washer saying you're a B2B and you'll be back. Once back onboard, switch to the dryer while noone else is onboard.

So am I. This is what it looks like when I get up.

I just can't sleep late on vacation. At least I know that doing laundry won't be much of a hassle for me.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (7/2014 AKV) (2/2015 AKL/5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #52
Mom2TwinGirls01
Earning My Ears

I had the same issue on the Fantasy and then to top it off i had noted the time and came back to find my laundry was wet and the dryer wasn't running. Someone opened it and didn't start it again. I paid for another 2$ and sat and watched it. People can be so rude. Just note the time. Lol the one lady that finally returned for her stuff that someone hd removed said " oh my god that's the second time our stuff was dumped on the table" hmmm maybe you should learn your lesson??

Mom2TwinGirls01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #53
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TwinGirls01 View Post
I had the same issue on the Fantasy and then to top it off i had noted the time and came back to find my laundry was wet and the dryer wasn't running. Someone opened it and didn't start it again. I paid for another 2$ and sat and watched it. People can be so rude. Just note the time. Lol the one lady that finally returned for her stuff that someone hd removed said " oh my god that's the second time our stuff was dumped on the table" hmmm maybe you should learn your lesson??
Odd...there is no reason to open a dryer that is running unless it is your stuff. Or am I missing something?
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #54
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

This thread is cracking me up!

Disney is the happiest place on earth, EXCEPT in the laundry room on a cruise! LOL

I was thinking of doing laundry but I think you guys might have scared me away from it.

Jen
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #55
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post

Disney is the happiest place on earth, EXCEPT in the laundry room on a cruise! LOL

I was thinking of doing laundry but I think you guys might have scared me away from it.

Jen
Most of the time, the laundry rooms aren't bad. They ARE clean and neat, well lit, etc. However, on long cruises they can be busy.

I've never seen a CM stationed in the rooms....25+ cruises and at least 5 of them longer than a week. Sounds like a nice addition!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #56
luvdamouse91
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyManFamily4 View Post
I still wish I had thanked her specifically for not taking my stuff out...I also regret not using my comment card to suggest having more dryers than washers in the laundry rooms, since most issues I've seen have usually involved the dryers not working properly.
We noticed on the Fantasy (Deck 9 Laundry) that there were 2 more dryers than washing machines.

DCL (Wonder): 1/2000 (Bahamas), WBPC 5/2015
DCL (Magic): 1/2003 (E), 12/2007 (W),5/2009 (W),9/2010 (WBTA), 9/2012 (NY-CAN),11/2013, WBTA 2014
DCL (Dream): 5/2011 (B2B), 12/2011, 11/2014
DCL (Fantasy): 12/2012 (W)
HAL (DVC/Alaska/Zuiderdam): 5/2004
RCL (Serenade): 10/2011
luvdamouse91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #57
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post

Jen
then our evil plan is working.......
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #58
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Odd...there is no reason to open a dryer that is running unless it is your stuff. Or am I missing something?

As I stated in my previous post, people are looking for their laundry, determine it's not their load, close the dryer door and do not push the start button.
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #59
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Started With a Mouse View Post
As I stated in my previous post, people are looking for their laundry, determine it's not their load, close the dryer door and do not push the start button.
So the eggheads can't remember which machine they put their stuff in? Guess a brain is not a requirement for taking a cruise. It isn't like there are 50 machines in the rooms!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #60
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, on one of our cruises we encountered a "very" entitled person who not only thought they shouldn't have to wait to use a machine, but thought it was just fine to take our clothes out of the dryer while it still had time on it, put our still very wet clothes on the table, and proceed to dry their clothes on our dime.

Trust me, I never leave our laundry sitting there and this time had only stepped out of the laundry room to go back to my room to grab hangers. However, when we returned with what should have been more than 15 minutes left on our machine, we were stunned to see our wet clothes laying there. Well, we were not so "courteous" with their clothes. I took them out of the dryer, promptly placed them on the floor next to the machine and then put our clothes back in so that they could finish their cycle. Of course, we had to add money to get them dry since we lost 15 minutes.

Flame me if you want, but in that case that person did not deserve any courtesy. They not only "cut in line", but they stole 15 minutes of my dryer money by doing what they did. I was stunned that they thought they could get away with it.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: