Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

We had a pillow case sized pillow SHAM (white) signed and use it in the middle of the bed only for decoration. We provided many different color sharpies for signing--the signers chose the most appropriate color, e.g., Mickey signed in black, Cinderella in blue, Minnie in red, Peter Pan in green, etc...Looks wonderful!
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

We used Sharpies (on pillowcases) in July 2011, and our girls have used those pillowcases more often than not since then. Names are fading a bit, but still definitely visible. One of the best souvenirs ever. I questioned whether they should use actually use them, but got outvoted!

We just went again a couple of weeks ago. Took a pillowcase for each of DD10 and DD8, as well as a photo mat. I had been reading on these boards about how taking some good candy could improve your chances of lots of signatures. We got a ton in 2011 without candy, but thought we'd give it a shot. DW took all three items to Guest Services and was told we could only do two, so in went the pillowcases and Sharpies and a variety of good candy. (I had already told her this was standard policy and that if she wanted to try for all three, she would have to make the request herself...I hate breaking rules!) A day or two later, DW went back to Guest Services, pleaded her case for the photo mat (a birthday gift for me, she said), and a different person said to bring it on down and they would be glad to get it signed for me. All three items were returned to our stateroom toward the end of the cruise. The pillowcases had 13 signatures each...the photo mat (taken later with no candy) had closer to 25! So much for the candy equaling more signatures -- ha ha! Either way, it's a great thing to do that the kids will treasure for a long time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
We used Sharpies (on pillowcases) in July 2011, and our girls have used those pillowcases more often than not since then. Names are fading a bit, but still definitely visible. One of the best souvenirs ever. I questioned whether they should use actually use them, but got outvoted!

We just went again a couple of weeks ago. Took a pillowcase for each of DD10 and DD8, as well as a photo mat. I had been reading on these boards about how taking some good candy could improve your chances of lots of signatures. We got a ton in 2011 without candy, but thought we'd give it a shot. DW took all three items to Guest Services and was told we could only do two, so in went the pillowcases and Sharpies and a variety of good candy. (I had already told her this was standard policy and that if she wanted to try for all three, she would have to make the request herself...I hate breaking rules!) A day or two later, DW went back to Guest Services, pleaded her case for the photo mat (a birthday gift for me, she said), and a different person said to bring it on down and they would be glad to get it signed for me. All three items were returned to our stateroom toward the end of the cruise. The pillowcases had 13 signatures each...the photo mat (taken later with no candy) had closer to 25! So much for the candy equaling more signatures -- ha ha! Either way, it's a great thing to do that the kids will treasure for a long time.
Can I ask which ships you were on for both trips? We have done candy both times, but got many more signatures on the Dream than we did on the Magic. I was just trying to figure out it is just luck of the draw or if there is a difference between ships.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
pharmama
DIS Veteran

We sent a bunch of different colored FABRIC markers (not just regular sharpies) with our pillowcases and my girls have used them pretty much every night since then (last July) and they still look great.

The only thing I would do differently next time would be to not send a yellow marker. At least in our set, the yellow was too light and just doesn't show up as well as the other colors and a couple of 'characters' used it. I should have tested all the markers first. Not a huge deal but next time....

Read your markers as mentioned above but I saw those warnings on the forum and not one of the 4 different brands of fabric markers at my craft store (Michael's) actually required any kind of special heat setting or treatment.

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

We got a ton of signatures this past November on the Fantasy. I'd recommend sending FABRIC markers, and a piece of cardboard to put in between the layers to prevent bleeding onto the opposite side. We have washed our other ones weekly, and they still look great! (They are over a year old). I also have seen people drop off autograph books. I love my 14x14 picture mat too!
canadiandisneycruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #21
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

If you can test your fabric markers before you go, I would. We had some pastel markers on the first cruise on our pillowcases and they don't show as well as the more vibrant colors did.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #22
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1153rsmith View Post
Can I ask which ships you were on for both trips? We have done candy both times, but got many more signatures on the Dream than we did on the Magic. I was just trying to figure out it is just luck of the draw or if there is a difference between ships.
The 2011 experience was on the Dream (with no candy but tons of signatures on the pillowcases). The 2012 experience was on the Fantasy (with candy with the pillowcases, but fewer signatures.......the photo mat went in separately and got lots of signatures but with no separate candy). My guess is that it is totally random and if we did it again, it would not follow any particular rhyme or reason. Just happy that they offer this at all.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #23
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
The 2011 experience was on the Dream (with no candy but tons of signatures on the pillowcases). The 2012 experience was on the Fantasy (with candy with the pillowcases, but fewer signatures.......the photo mat went in separately and got lots of signatures but with no separate candy). My guess is that it is totally random and if we did it again, it would not follow any particular rhyme or reason. Just happy that they offer this at all.
Thanks Kimosabe. I think you are probably correct on the randomness of this. I like you am just thankful they do it at all. I just hope folks don't abuse the priviledge to the point they stop doing it. Even with this benefit, my children still insist on carrying things around to get autographs. We already have a 9 inch vinylmation for our next trip. We were actually able to find a blank one that didn't cost a fortune. It is not the color we wanted, but it will be fine for signatures.

My family loves having things signed from the Characters.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: