Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
KarenR122
Earning My Ears

DD, 6, has major sound sensitivity issues. She takes the noise better if we prepare her so we made sure that the muster drill, any shows, annoucing the princesses at the meet and greet were in her daily plan so she knew what was coming. We also carry noise cancelling headphones with us at all times just in case. She had a few issues with the Crush dinner and wore her headphones for a part of it. The muster drill was a nightmare but the CMs were very good and it was over fast so we just dealt with it. The horns when the boat was leaving ports were also an issue but again were over fast until one day they played all the horn songs and it was never ending. My DH and I were laughing because as soon as we thought it was over another one started. But again this was only a tiny portion of the cruise and we were prepared for it. She also had issues with the toilet flushing but we just let her not flush and we did after she washed her hands and shut the door. Once the door was shut it wasn't too loud. She had a great cruise overall, we are going again in August, and these issues are things we deal with on a daily basis so it really didn't affect our day.
KarenR122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
buglady11
Earning My Ears

My daughter has seizures and is sensitive to loud noise - she wears ear plugs at movie theaters so I appreciated reading the info on this thread. Recently we forgot the ear plugs for a college basketball game. She was uncomfortable but easily satisfied to borrow her dad's stocking cap to cover her ears.
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
kuhltiffany
DIS Veteran

Peltor ear protection is our favorite too, they go everywhere with us on our cruises! DS has Auditory Processing Disorder, Asperger's and ADHD, so is very sensitive to noise and hates surprises. He put his ear protection on and runs around happily, enjoying the movies, shows and everything! The one thing he found overwhelming was the main dining rooms, so he often had room service and went to the kids club while we ate...

I've been BOO'ED by SallySkelington!!!
kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
Brooksmakingmemories
Earning My Ears

So thankful to run across this thread, it will be a lifesaver on our cruise in March. Our daughter, age 2, is terrified of loud noises. While I had already mentally prepared for the fireworks, I had not given consideration to all the other events. Thanks so much!
Brooksmakingmemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
mousebrat
DIS Veteran

I've mentioned on a similar thread that our issues are not nearly as bad as they once were, but our DS7 with Asperger's still has anxiety about loud sounds. What we learned with him is that volume alone was not the real issue. He actually enjoys hearing a pipe organ. His problem was with noise that was chaotic or unexpected. Loud music was fine because there were no real surprises. A clap of thunder or glass breaking, though, can set him off. For vacations, our greatest resources have been online videos. You can find videos of the fireworks, the horn, the lifeboat drill, and, yes, even the toilets flushing. We can introduce these sounds in a controlled-volume situation that helps with desensitization and letting him know what to expect. When he hears the noises on the ship, everything is exactly as he expected it to be and we have not had any problems.

June 2, 2012 Disney Magic NYC

Wishing we could call the Grand Floridian home...
mousebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
TraceyGrenier2
Earning My Ears

Well said Mousebrat.. all those things have worked well for our family! Missing you guys and the Magic! Have a Happy New Year!
TraceyGrenier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #22
buglady11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebrat
I've mentioned on a similar thread that our issues are not nearly as bad as they once were, but our DS7 with Asperger's still has anxiety about loud sounds. What we learned with him is that volume alone was not the real issue. He actually enjoys hearing a pipe organ. His problem was with noise that was chaotic or unexpected. Loud music was fine because there were no real surprises. A clap of thunder or glass breaking, though, can set him off. For vacations, our greatest resources have been online videos. You can find videos of the fireworks, the horn, the lifeboat drill, and, yes, even the toilets flushing. We can introduce these sounds in a controlled-volume situation that helps with desensitization and letting him know what to expect. When he hears the noises on the ship, everything is exactly as he expected it to be and we have not had any problems.
Do you happen to have a link to a clip of the lifeboat drill with the horn?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
NCConch
Mouseketeer

My son not only has sensory issues but he was tested and has "super human" (his words) hearing. We live in NASCAR country so we have quality ear protectors. He is in a wheelchair so we keep them in a bag that hangs on the back.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
disneyhoppers
Earning My Ears

DD7 has spd, adhd, and pdd-nos. This info is super helpful. She doesn't do the public bathroom thing well since she can't see the cause if all the noise. She hasn't been to the parks either since diagnosis so I think I'll look into the peltors to avoid a repeat of 3 years ago...i.e. Complete violent meltdown in fantasyland.
disneyhoppers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: