Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

I have to laugh when people go at Christmas and then complain about it. Especially when they did the research.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Rides being down will happen anywhere! I was at Disney from Nov 27- Dec 6 and of those days. Splash was down for 15 mins, POTC was done during EMH on the 3rd, and The Magic Carpets were done for an hour on the 3rd.

And as for the fastpasses and standby line, it is what it is during busy times fastpasses will be let in first and then a fee standby.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

May is about the opposite of Christmas. Christmas is going to be stressful, even if you're well versed and plan everything, so then when something goes wrong, it sticks in your mind because you're stressed about it. Chances are, those rides go down about that often normally, but it doesn't matter so much when you don't have 100 people on your back trying to get in to that ride, and you can just hop over to the next ride to wait out the first ride getting fixed. May is a slow time, you'll be much more relaxed, and you'll be able to enjoy things without having to worry about a plan.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I remember disney before fastpass.

I don't think I would go back to disney if they went back to the old ways. The number one piece of advice on the DIS is during peak crowd levels ALWAYS arrive early and work the fastpass system. If you go during those times and you don't heed this advice you should accept your fate and not blame the system. Early bird gets the worm, ounce of prevention and all that jazz.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
mickeymom55
Mouseketeer

Smile

Last year while waiting in a standby line, out of frustration and boredom, I counted how many FP guests were allowed in ahead of those waiting in line - 42. The standby line was out the door and winding through the outside queue. As we exited the ride, I spoke with a CM and asked for a supervisor. A very nice supervisor listened to my concern and said that sometimes the CMs do take the FP line to an extreme. When I have a FP in hand, it's like gold, but when waiting in the standby line, it's an aggravation - haha! Seriously though, there needs to be a reasonable formula for the CMs to follow. We now have the ability to visit during moderate to slower times shoulder to shoulder with crazy crowds are not appealing.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
mlittig
DIS Veteran

Sorry you were so disappointed

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

I have to agree that even though the OP said the crowds were NOT the issue, that it seems they were. The ride most likely wouldn't have gone down as often, the fastpasses wouldn't be gone, a million people from the fastpass line wouldnt have gone in front of you and possibly 9 people wouldn't have broken in line? Sorry your time here was bad, we have been here since December 26th and no ride issues as of yet! Still 2 more days left at the parks and praying for the same. I guess sometimes you just end up at a park on a bad day...like a day that it is suppose to be sunny and 70 but instead it is rainy and 40...it happens. Wishing you better luck in May.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I've seen multiple ride closures in Sept. and the first week of Feb. It can be very frustrating.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #24
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

We were there Christmas eve to Nye and had no issues. We did use fp effectively and went early. I kept an eye in the lines ap in the afternoons...yowza. there us nothing in wdw I'd wait 3hrs in line for we did everything ride wise we wanted. Fp people still wait...just not in the queue.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We've run into some ride issues but not that many luckily. The problem rides for us have been RnR Coaster and the MK mountains but not that often.

I know that it's frustrating when a lot seems to be down though.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stvisit0909
We were there Christmas eve to Nye and had no issues. We did use fp effectively and went early. I kept an eye in the lines ap in the afternoons...yowza. there us nothing in wdw I'd wait 3hrs in line for we did everything ride wise we wanted. Fp people still wait...just not in the queue.
Wait! I forgot we were stuck on itasw for 15 mins next to the hula dancers. I guess I blocked it. Hubby said "at least we aren't in the room with the lyrics" lol

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #27
Glenn
DIS Veteran

I can see the posterss problems. Lots of folks are complaining about lack of maintenance.
Grab a deep breath, sit down and write Disney a thoughtful letter. Snail mail gets more points than a quick email. Probably wont do any good but at least they will know that 1 family is getting to their limit on how much they will put up with. Face it as long as the parks are full why should they worry about anything.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #28
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
I don't really want to piddle in your post toasties, but what did you expect? This is the busiest time of the year, and so every little hitch is magnified, so if a ride goes down, its affect is exponential.

Don't cancel your May trip because it was busy at Christmas, night and day.
Exactly....
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #29
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Fan View Post
I have to laugh when people go at Christmas and then complain about it. Especially when they did the research.
Yep....its like some folks fell here from the moon...Its BUSY during christmas...always has been always will be. If you go then...dont expect to ride much...its more for looking and walking. The crowds are HUGE. Lines will be HUGE. Nothing new.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
Harambe
I better watch what I say, I CAN be a little silly!
Got a "Tag Fairy" assist for Donald Applecore's tag
Famous for my Chicken soup

We are lucky because we always go EMH mornings, and I DO NOT go on the big rides! That allows me to zip over to something and grab a Fastpass while the family rides a heavy-hitter (often twice!).

We also don't go during peak times now (learned that lesson), but still do the EMH mornings, leave at lunch, then head to another park for the evening later, even when we go during a slow time. That plan just WORKS!!!!

Rides going down stinks! But as others have mentioned - Disney runs 365 days a year, tough to keep the ride maintenance going!

Sorry you had a disappointing time, but don't cancel your upcoming trip. The magic will come back!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: