DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
melindaPR
Mouseketeer

Making reservations with pts

We are new to DVC, awaiting word re: ROFR. I'm starting to think about how we'd like to use our points in the next few years (assuming our contract goes through). My question is if there is a year that we don't have quite enough pts (with banking and borrowing), I understand that we can trade with/transfer from another member. However, would I have to have those pts in my account before I go to make a reservation? If so, what happens if the reservation for which I needed the pts is not available? Is that just a risk you take when you buy pts from another member instead of Disney?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Someone will come along and answer your specific questions since I am not sure....just wanted to let you know that you can also purchase one time use points for a trip direct from Disney up to 24 points for $15 a point. This can only be done with a reservation at 7 months or less. We have done this several times and it is great when you need a few extra.

You get one transfer a year in or out of your account. I would probably just have the other member make a short reservation for me than use the one time transfer I have.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Yes..you need to have the points transferred first. So if you get them, they are yours. What I'd might do I'd if I know, get the transfer before your 11 month window at the same home resort so you'd have them to combine with your own and the you might not need to borrow quite as many. I got a transfer a few years back of 90 points that I knew I wanted to give me a few extra for two or three years since I really only wanted around 30. Once I got them, I used them instead of my own for year 1 which allowed me to bank my own and stretch things out with my own points.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindaPR View Post
We are new to DVC, awaiting word re: ROFR. I'm starting to think about how we'd like to use our points in the next few years (assuming our contract goes through). My question is if there is a year that we don't have quite enough pts (with banking and borrowing), I understand that we can trade with/transfer from another member. However, would I have to have those pts in my account before I go to make a reservation? If so, what happens if the reservation for which I needed the pts is not available? Is that just a risk you take when you buy pts from another member instead of Disney?
You can always make a reservation at your Home Resort 11 months in advance using any points that would be available for the dates of the reservation. This includes points banked from the prior Use Year, points from the current Use Year and points borrowed from the Use Year following the trip. The same goes for reservations at other DVC Resorts at 7 months.

If you plan to use transferred points, they will also need to already be in your account and available for the dates of the reservation you wish to make.

Enjoy!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindaPR View Post
You cannot "trade with" another member during the same year. That would be a transfer in and a transfer out in one UY. You could transfer in one year and transfer out during the next UY.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
melindaPR
Mouseketeer

Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts, tips, and knowledge!
melindaPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
lodge
DIS Veteran

Can you trade in with multiple members to get the points you need? For instance, one seller has less than 20 points left... I trade hers, then try to obtain more from someone else? TIA
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
Can you trade in with multiple members to get the points you need? For instance, one seller has less than 20 points left... I trade hers, then try to obtain more from someone else? TIA
one transfer per UY. just one.

if you transfer one owner's 20 pts into your contract, that's it for that UY...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: