Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Tips/gifts for CM's on cruise?

Hi!

I am wondering about what if anything people have given to thier CM's along with thier tip? I read somewhere that some people will leave candy or calling cards.

I would love to know what people have left and what the CM's seem to enjoy.

- About leaving food/candy - isn't is a No No to bring food onto the ship?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Packaged processed food can be brought on board. Home made items and opened items are not supposed to be, but in all honesty, luggage is not inspected on that level.

For CMs in the tipped positions--more tips! Why give a $5 calling card rather than an additional $5 to let the CM decide what he/she most needs?

Many people bring gifts for CMs in non-tipped positions. These people cannot accept cash and cannot keep it if given to them (must be turned in to their manager or to Guest Services.) Consider that they have extremely small cabins and at the end of their contract must fly home with luggage restrictions. That sort of means consumable items......
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
conan979
Earning My Ears

We've befriended a few DCL CMs and asked this question. A couple of them have said Walmart gift cards. At least the ones that dock at Port Canaveral. When the ship docks, they all bus it to Walmart and get supplies. Someone told us Disney gift cards work too because lots of them go to the parks during the dock day or can spend the money on the ship too. But i like to think cash is king but my wife says go gift card.
conan979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The crew bus takes those who can be off to Walmart and Target when the ship is in Port Canaveral. Also, in Ketchikan, Alaska the Walmart runs a free shuttle for anyone (guest or crew) to their store and back to near the cruise ship dock.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
phillmolly
DIS Veteran

gifts for cast members

I am going to be dropping off a photo mat for autographs and I would like to leave a little gift for the cast members.

It seems that most people give them candy and especially since we are getting on the boat the Saturday before Easter I am thinking they will be getting lots of sweets!

I was thinking about giving them something salty instead, I was thinking microwave popcorn would be good, easy to pack for me, but do they have microwaves? Another thought was some pringles.

So anyone know if they have access to microwaves?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmolly View Post
I am going to be dropping off a photo mat for autographs and I would like to leave a little gift for the cast members.

It seems that most people give them candy and especially since we are getting on the boat the Saturday before Easter I am thinking they will be getting lots of sweets!

I was thinking about giving them something salty instead, I was thinking microwave popcorn would be good, easy to pack for me, but do they have microwaves? Another thought was some pringles.

So anyone know if they have access to microwaves?
No access to microwaves.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

We gave extra cash at the end and gift bags full of candy , chocolate bars , gum & mints . We gave a bag to everyone on our dining team & to bar staff & pool staff . We also took 24 pks of mentos to give to out along with our cash tip for the room service attendant and I put a pkg or 2 in my purse for each time we got a drink or counter service around the ship .
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
BEYONCE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Packaged processed food can be brought on board. Home made items and opened items are not supposed to be, but in all honesty, luggage is not inspected on that level.

For CMs in the tipped positions--more tips! Why give a $5 calling card rather than an additional $5 to let the CM decide what he/she most needs?

Many people bring gifts for CMs in non-tipped positions. These people cannot accept cash and cannot keep it if given to them (must be turned in to their manager or to Guest Services.) Consider that they have extremely small cabins and at the end of their contract must fly home with luggage restrictions. That sort of means consumable items......
What cms are not in tipped positions?
BEYONCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEYONCE View Post
Guest Services, kids clubs CMs, all the yellow-uniformed maintanance people you see doing stuff around the ship.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEYONCE View Post
All the CMs in the children's clubs, the family and adult activity organizers, the princesses and all furry characters, guest services, those working in the shops.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The crew bus takes those who can be off to Walmart and Target when the ship is in Port Canaveral. Also, in Ketchikan, Alaska the Walmart runs a free shuttle for anyone (guest or crew) to their store and back to near the cruise ship dock.
Do you know about Miami, do those CMs have access to a Walmart or Target?

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Guest Services, kids clubs CMs, all the yellow-uniformed maintanance people you see doing stuff around the ship.
We just got off the Fantasy and did Bibbity Bobbity Boutique and the Fairy Godmothers surprisingly aren't allowed to accept tips either. They told us to fill out a comment card with their name and turn it in and they will get "rewarded". I thought this was interesting because others had told me on the Disboards that BBB is a tipped position.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: