Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
BreauCat
Earning My Ears

Four Nights as Good as Seven?

We are in the countdown for our second Disney cruise - sailing on the Dream March 4, 2013. We did our first cruise with DCL in 2011 on the Magic and absolutely loved it - so much so, that I'm not sure why we didn't book another while on board. That is something we will certainly do this time - book our third cruise for 2014 before we disembark. I'm enjoying all the prep for this upcoming cruise -especially the Fish Extender gifts I'm planning and making. I am a bit apprehensive, though - our first cruise was 7 nights and I felt we had the opportunity to do most everything we wanted to do while on board. Because of scheduling, we are doing a 4 night cruise this time and I'm worried we may be disappointed with the duration of this cruise. I guess that will be incentive to book a third cruise Anyone else cruised with a shorter itinerary after doing a longer one?
BreauCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Ipaythemouse
Earning My Ears

We have taken several 4 and 3 day Cruises after the 7 and 10 day Cruises. Each Cruise has its Magic and what you make of it. Our scheduels have changed ove the years with our childern getting older and I love any vacation we can take together. The 4 day cruises we took on the Wonder had plenty of time to have fun and enjoy!
1996 Disney All Star Resort, 1999 Disney All Star Movie Resort, 2002 Disney Old Key West Resort, 2003 Hilton Head Resort, 2005 Disney Boardwalk Rersort,2005 Disney Vero Beach Resort, 2005 Disney Saratoga Springs, 2006 Disney Vero Beach Resort, 2008 Disney Boardwalk, 2008 Wilderness Lodge, 2009 Disney Vero Beach, 2010Disney Old Key West
2010 Disney Vero Beach, 2011 Disney Boardwalk, 2011 Disney Caribbean Beach Resort, 2012 Disney Old Key West, 2012 Disney Aulani Hawaiin Resort, 2013 Disney Bay Lake & Boardwalk & Pop Century, 2013 Aulani Hawaiin Resort

Disney Magic: 2001 Eastern, 2004 Western, 2007 -10 Day Med Cruise, 2012 New York

Disney Wonder: 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009

Disney Dream: 2011, 2012, 2013 Members Cruise
Ipaythemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I believe it is all in the expectations. We did the transatlantic cruise that was 14 days and at the end no one was ready to get to land. The 7 consecutive sea days were great and very relaxing. I have also done the 3 days and it was great to expose my son to cruising. I think if you go in with the expectation that it is different you will love it.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

It will all be up to you and your expectations. If you set out to do ALL things, you might be disappointed. Of course a 7-day is going to provide you with the opportunity to do more. Just remember that the thousands of cruisers with you are trying to get everything done within the 4-days. I enjoy watching cruisers rushing around trying to get it all in......

Relax and enjoy the 4-days and rebook on board!

Enjoy

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
micheledb49
Earning My Ears

I had the same feelings and we decided to book the 4 instead of the 6 this time around. Sometimes I get itchy to get home after about 4 days... so hopefully we made the right decision too. It was tough b/c the 6 night was only a couple hundred dollars more...
micheledb49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

I couldn't really comment as to which is better for your family, as we've only taken a four day. That being said, we are taking a five day for our next cruise. Our thinking is; it's obviously longer than a four day which did feel a little short. However, it still gives us some time before or after the cruise to do other things. A few days in Disney World or a trip to the Gulf coast (our favorite!)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreauCat View Post
We are in the countdown for our second Disney cruise - sailing on the Dream March 4, 2013. We did our first cruise with DCL in 2011 on the Magic and absolutely loved it - so much so, that I'm not sure why we didn't book another while on board. That is something we will certainly do this time - book our third cruise for 2014 before we disembark. I'm enjoying all the prep for this upcoming cruise -especially the Fish Extender gifts I'm planning and making. I am a bit apprehensive, though - our first cruise was 7 nights and I felt we had the opportunity to do most everything we wanted to do while on board. Because of scheduling, we are doing a 4 night cruise this time and I'm worried we may be disappointed with the duration of this cruise. I guess that will be incentive to book a third cruise Anyone else cruised with a shorter itinerary after doing a longer one?
I prefer longer but I always like the longer vacations.
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
DinoRex
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvslikepi View Post
I prefer longer but I always like the longer vacations.
I agree. Longer is better, but it really depends on the amount of vacation time available.
DinoRex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: