Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
gel_erp
Earning My Ears

I travel with my two children by myself a lot. My DD 5 has always been a lot of work. She has only ever slept on the flights that I had her car seat with me Between the ages of 2 and 3. It was a pain to carry it on since I was by myself but well worth the effort! On all of our flights there has only ever been 1 person who was a jerk. Other than food, toys and videos there is not much you can do. I did spend 20 minutes watching for Peter Pan out the window once. Poor DD she never was quick enough to see him but Mommy definitely did. Cruel. Maybe, but 20 minutes is 20 minutes. I'm sure the time will go by quicker than you think. You could bring your DS car seat on board and after take off switch the children. Your 1 hear old would most likely sleep but you would have a 3year old on your lap.
I once ended a flight with her shirtless and laying on the floor eating dirty Cheerios. I've never been as uptight since! We always make it through and I keep going travelling alone with them so it is definitely worth the effort. I fly to Orlando in February and my son will be 25months. I am planning on bringing the car seat ( I have the wheel attachment to use it as a stroller in the airport) and I will check the stroller as I will be without DH again.

You will be fine. Have a great trip.
gel_erp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
stacecakes
loves acquiring info as much as fastpasses!

here are thoughts from my own experiences ( and web searches). I have a 4 1/2 yo dd and a 2 yo dd and have done many flights witrh them, both solo and with DH:
1) if you can afford another seat, buy one- since it's southwest, seats aren't assigned anyway so you can decide to do it at any time.
2)ergo carrier: I carry my daughter often in this carrier so she's used to it restraining her. Helped me "hold her" hands free and she was comfortable enough in it to fall asleep during the flight. You are not supposed to have the lap baby in it during take off and landing but that wasn't an issue for me since I was pushing food/ sippy at that time to help little ear adjust.
3) on ear adjustment:sucking, chewing, swallowing, etc help. give a snack that takes a little work- my older DD likes the little applesauce packets that you can suck out of the top (kinda like the new baby foods). Or a sippy cup with the little regulator valve, or a lollipop (if you're Ok with being sticky). Plan on enough for takeoff AND landing- for many kids landing is tougher.
4) amusement: color wonder markers are great because they wo't wreck the plane. It may sound a little OCD of me, but I actually use yarn and tape to put a leash on the markers so that when they fall off the tray DD can pull and retrieve them herself- I tie the other end oft he string to the zipper of her pencil case. We've lost a few to rolling in landing, never to be seen again.
5) more amusement- blue painter's tape or post it notes. Won't set permanently or leave residue on the plane but can provide entertainment- stick to baby's nose. She'll pull it off, now stuck to fingers, then tray, etc. Post its can be colored on by big kids before being stuck.
6) more amusements: take the time to wrap any toys or snacks you bring in some tissue paper ( no need to tape or be especially neat about it) but getting to open "presents" is an adventure on its own, and make tshe pack of fruit snacks inside that much more fun... can make a mess but it's a tradeoff.
7) food as amusement- stringing cheerios or froot loops on red licorice laces is fun and a snack. pretzel sticks and mini marsmallows do an impressive job of simulating tinkertoys (learned that as a chemistry teacher building molecular models) Also the munchkin brand snack cups where they have to get food out past the flaps in the lid tends to draw out snacktime.

8) Remember that while your baby's fussing/ crying is heartbreakingly loud to you, it doesn't elicit the same gut-deep reaction from others. They may be a little disturbed etc but don't let your fear of their being upset make you more stressed- it just makes everything harder.
9) the inflight team is usually pretty accomodating if you need to stand back there with a little one, just try to exhaust your other options while they're busy pouring drinks and snacks for beverage service. I've had stewardesses who opened and closed a bunch of those little doors which fascinated DD2 for a good half hour. Note- you can't "hang out" in the area near the front as a post 9/11 safety thing.
9) reminder:Southwest does open plan seating. Unless the one next to you was the LAST available seat on the plane, they were able to survey the scene and choose to sit where they did. i usually choose to sit a couple rows deep into the empty seats at the back when I board to provide a buffer space. If someone sits right next to me that's their choice. Most flights are close to full but I feel like there's fewer likelihood of dark looks in my direction this way- people wou would be more likely to be upset don't sit there.

10) kicking the seat- my older girl was a seat kicker- she did it less if I took off her shoes and she felt each kick in her own toes as well. Ouchie...
I've never had anyone give me a hard time, even the one trip where DD1 projectile vomited during takeoff and twice more before passing out midflight on our way home from WDW. I have never been happier to see my clothes-filled suitcases roll off the belt.

that's my buck fifty of opinion there. Hope some of it helps.
stacecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
brookepi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacecakes View Post
here are thoughts from my own experiences ( and web searches). I have a 4 1/2 yo dd and a 2 yo dd and have done many flights witrh them, both solo and with DH:
1) if you can afford another seat, buy one- since it's southwest, seats aren't assigned anyway so you can decide to do it at any time.
2)ergo carrier: I carry my daughter often in this carrier so she's used to it restraining her. Helped me "hold her" hands free and she was comfortable enough in it to fall asleep during the flight. You are not supposed to have the lap baby in it during take off and landing but that wasn't an issue for me since I was pushing food/ sippy at that time to help little ear adjust.
3) on ear adjustment:sucking, chewing, swallowing, etc help. give a snack that takes a little work- my older DD likes the little applesauce packets that you can suck out of the top (kinda like the new baby foods). Or a sippy cup with the little regulator valve, or a lollipop (if you're Ok with being sticky). Plan on enough for takeoff AND landing- for many kids landing is tougher.
4) amusement: color wonder markers are great because they wo't wreck the plane. It may sound a little OCD of me, but I actually use yarn and tape to put a leash on the markers so that when they fall off the tray DD can pull and retrieve them herself- I tie the other end oft he string to the zipper of her pencil case. We've lost a few to rolling in landing, never to be seen again.
5) more amusement- blue painter's tape or post it notes. Won't set permanently or leave residue on the plane but can provide entertainment- stick to baby's nose. She'll pull it off, now stuck to fingers, then tray, etc. Post its can be colored on by big kids before being stuck.
6) more amusements: take the time to wrap any toys or snacks you bring in some tissue paper ( no need to tape or be especially neat about it) but getting to open "presents" is an adventure on its own, and make tshe pack of fruit snacks inside that much more fun... can make a mess but it's a tradeoff.
7) food as amusement- stringing cheerios or froot loops on red licorice laces is fun and a snack. pretzel sticks and mini marsmallows do an impressive job of simulating tinkertoys (learned that as a chemistry teacher building molecular models) Also the munchkin brand snack cups where they have to get food out past the flaps in the lid tends to draw out snacktime.

8) Remember that while your baby's fussing/ crying is heartbreakingly loud to you, it doesn't elicit the same gut-deep reaction from others. They may be a little disturbed etc but don't let your fear of their being upset make you more stressed- it just makes everything harder.
9) the inflight team is usually pretty accomodating if you need to stand back there with a little one, just try to exhaust your other options while they're busy pouring drinks and snacks for beverage service. I've had stewardesses who opened and closed a bunch of those little doors which fascinated DD2 for a good half hour. Note- you can't "hang out" in the area near the front as a post 9/11 safety thing.
9) reminder:Southwest does open plan seating. Unless the one next to you was the LAST available seat on the plane, they were able to survey the scene and choose to sit where they did. i usually choose to sit a couple rows deep into the empty seats at the back when I board to provide a buffer space. If someone sits right next to me that's their choice. Most flights are close to full but I feel like there's fewer likelihood of dark looks in my direction this way- people wou would be more likely to be upset don't sit there.

10) kicking the seat- my older girl was a seat kicker- she did it less if I took off her shoes and she felt each kick in her own toes as well. Ouchie...
I've never had anyone give me a hard time, even the one trip where DD1 projectile vomited during takeoff and twice more before passing out midflight on our way home from WDW. I have never been happier to see my clothes-filled suitcases roll off the belt.

that's my buck fifty of opinion there. Hope some of it helps.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Some of your ideas are pure genius...painter's tape! markers with attached to strings....excellent! On the final countdown so I wanted to make sure I took notes on your ideas
brookepi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: