Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
wvasweetness
Mouseketeer

For us - yes. We stay at Value and use the $$$ otherwise. We're never at the room - only to sleep - anyway, so it's not worth it for us.
wvasweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
trewin
Mouseketeer

I stayed at Pop Century during my last stay- I had 5 month old and 4 yr old at the time. The room was too small for a pack n play, a stroller, and a 4 year old jumping around! The walk to the bus stop and cafeteria was almost unbearable! On our next trip tho April we decided to spend the extra $$ for some perks of a moderate - more than one bus stop - better beds - a table service restaurant on site - and a nicer pool! If you have older kids - and will really "just sleep there" why not save the $$.
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I am The Queen of Value Resorts! I have stayed in each of the values multiple times, POR 5x, CSR 1x, CBR 4x, POFQ 1x, AKL 2x, SSR 1x and CR 1x. _I_ don't see the moderates (or really even the deluxes) as worth the extra money. The somewhat exception for me is during the summer, I like the moderates as they have more pools AND the pools have deep ends.

I have yet to have bad service at a value resort or issues with room noise (exception: AoA). The food courts are nothing special, but nothing terrible either.

It's usually just me and a GF, so double beds are not an issue. I'd rather save my money and put it toward a meal at Jiko or other signature dining! I'm MUCH more a Food Snob than a Resort Snob! LOL!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

To save that much money...YOU BET id stay at the value. After all....you shower sleep and thats pretty much it at the resorts. I have stayed at a deluxe resort..and yes it IS nice. But, money is money....And close to 800.00 is a lot of savings for a room...Go with value.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasweetness View Post
For us - yes. We stay at Value and use the $$$ otherwise. We're never at the room - only to sleep - anyway, so it's not worth it for us.
As with 99% of most people. I agree 110%
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Promomx2
DIS Veteran

What about if you do a split/stay? We have done this in the past. First 4 days at Sports and then 2 day at the AKL on days we weren't going to the parks and just relaxed.
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
cab0ad
DIS Veteran

I would stay value in a heartbeat for that savings. I have only stayed at French Quarter for moderates. there are hot tubs at the moderates and not the value but in the summertime I don't want to be in a hot tub anyway. The restraunts onsite don't seem to be a benefit to me because I want to eat in the park anyway. I do like the boat to Downtown Disney at French Quarter (this is actually why we stayed there twice) and the resort is quieter than the values, but the values have some great things that the moderates don't.

I think the value hotels are brighter/happier than the moderates. More Disney icons at the values. This appeals to kids more.

I honestly didn't notice that big of a difference in the room sizes even though I know they are bigger at the moderates. Didn't feel any bigger to me when we stayed at French Quarter.

And I actually prefer the bus services at the values. I like the chained off lines there so you don't feel like you are in the middle of a stampede where everyone is trying to get on the bus like it happens at the moderates. This is a big selling point for me for the value hotels. I hate waiting patiently for a bus at the moderate bus stops only to be left standing on the bus because a million people who arrived at the stop after me shoved their way to the bus opening when it got there. super annoying!

Pop century has the goofy splash area. I don't think the moderates have anything like that.

cab0ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

For that much money, speaking for me and my family, we would switch to the value.

We had only ever stayed in moderates or deluxes and I was very hesitant to trying a value a few years back. After staying at POP, we wish we would have stayed there previously and saved money.

Yes, the moderates have more amenities, but on our January POP trip, we really didn't stay at the resort much to swim, only 1 1/2 days.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

If it was my choice I would spend the money and stay in the mod. The values have always struck me as overcolored Motel 6's. In the words of J. Seinfeld " not that there is anything wrong with that" but for me I know I would not be satisfied and I would be critical of everything. It's just not my style. The " smart" part of me tells me that I could have a great stay there but the emotional part says " shut the front door, there is no freaking way"

I like to cruise, and I like to cruise with a balcony room..and even better if it is a suite. I will not cruise ever again without a balcony, even if it was a free cruise..I value it that much.

Some people are fine with an inside room as they say "you aren't in your room a lot anyway " but the way I look at it is the room is part of the experience too...an important part.

Really, it's up to what is worth it to you and at what price. You probably will not regret spending the extra money if you have a great hotel stay but you may regret saving it if you are not happy with your choice.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
polkadotminnie
I still like the idea of a glass slipper
I'd love a Mickey bar right now!
It would be great fun to grant pixie dust to an unsuspecting family

For me, it depends on the purpose of the trip. I have stayed at 3 of the values (multiple times), 3 moderates (multiple times) and 4 of the deluxes. If it were a special occasion and I was not going to the parks much, I would splurge on a nicer resort. Otherwise, I would save the cash for something else. I am headed back to one of the values next time since I will hit the parks hard. I am looking forward to it!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasweetness
Totally agree! Save your money. we love the values!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
if the values had 2 queens or a king bed and sofa bed we would go value..2 doubles dont work for 3 or 4 people unless you are midgets.
that make no sense.. double is plenty room for 2 adults. What are you 7'5? and 550 lbs?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #28
bizeemom4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecshawn View Post
that make no sense.. double is plenty room for 2 adults. What are you 7'5? and 550 lbs?
Ok. That wasn't nice.

I am 5'4 and hubby is 6'1 and both of us are on the thin side. There's no way we would be comfortable sleeping in a double bed even for one night.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #29
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Well.....since you are asking this question, I would stick with a Value. Have stayed at Mods in the past and I do like them, I just don't like them $800 more, lol. If the difference was half that amount, than I might consider it,

There is nothing wrong with the value resorts - I tend to stay there more as the savings can be used to further our Disney experience!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #30
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

I would stay Value. Although I prefer POP Century to the All Stars.

If you want something extra for "couple time", spend the money saved on a nice dinner or a spa treatment.

My DH and I stayed at POP after our last DVC stay for a couple of extra nights. And yes, POP was a step down from AKL but it was fine and we were able to enjoy a few more Disney nights. One night we ordered in a pizza, piled up on the bed and watched the football game.... now that was a first.

I have always worked nights and he has always worked days (we do it for the benefit of our family) so for us, we just enjoyed being together and it didnt matter where it happened.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: