Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Best Off-Site Hotel

Apologies first, I'm new to this area of the DIS and I wasn't sure if I could post this thread here, since it said Disney Resorts. But I didn't see any place for offsite, so here goes.

Where is the best place you've stayed offsite? We are considering it to save money, since this will be a very expensive trip. I have looked at some of the condos, but they are more expensive than staying onsite

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor
Apologies first, I'm new to this area of the DIS and I wasn't sure if I could post this thread here, since it said Disney Resorts. But I didn't see any place for offsite, so here goes.

Where is the best place you've stayed offsite? We are considering it to save money, since this will be a very expensive trip. I have looked at some of the condos, but they are more expensive than staying onsite
The correct board for this is titled "Orlando Hotels and Attractions" and I'll be moving this there where you'll get the best answers. Thanks!

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

where are you looking - most of the condo are priced less than a moderate.

the best hotels are generally the most expensive

the waldrof astoria, ritz-carlton - are there - they are building a 4 seasons
http://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en...CWA/index.html

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...cale=en_US&rn=

now on the otherside of the market

there is choice hotels
http://www.choicehotels.com/

plus this one - which is reasonable
http://www.maingatelakesideresort.com/

plus one of my favorites in the cheaper range
motel 6 - west Kissimmee, fl

this is a good place to look for bargins
http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/orlando/

this is a agency - they sponsor this site and the dis in general
http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com...sres/index.htm

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post

I've always paid less to stay in a rented timeshare than what disney would charge for a value resort.

I suggest you read the "we looooooove bonnet creek" thread
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Well, Bonnet Creek was the one I looked at. It was like $200 a night, if I remember correctly. But I will check again, maybe I misread something.

Update: I just checked again. $262 for a one bedroom!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor
Well, Bonnet Creek was the one I looked at. It was like $200 a night, if I remember correctly. But I will check again, maybe I misread something.

If you rent from a timeshare owner not directly through wyndam it is much much less, check out the thread mentioned above for all the info you will need
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post

We paid $120/night for a 2 bedroom via Ken Price at Vacation Upgrade! Definitely check the VU website out.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

For something more basic I like the Hampton Inn Lake Buena Vista - the shuttle isn't the best but it is also on the #50 bus line to DTD and Ticket and Trans. Center. You can usually get a rate of about $80 and it includes breakfast.

If I want something a little posher I go for Hilton Bonnet Creek or the Waldorf - you can save a lot by booking on sites like lastminutetravel.com - you can check the photos to id a hotel. I would rate these as the best I have stayed at in the area so far.

For something kind of more of the road - the Hilton DTD is fine - plus other DTD hotels like Holiday Inn or Doubletree - check mousesavers for special rates on these.

For more space - I like Sheraton Vistana - very nice and lots to do - pools/full kitchen plus market and restaurant. For more space but also more basic/not as updated I have booked the Hawthorne Suites Lake Buena Vista (Palm Parkway) for around $75/night.

One thing about Orlando is there is a LOT to choose from that is for sure.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
lpandorf
DIS Veteran

Sheraton Vistana Villages Lake Buena Vista

We got a good deal at Sheraton Vistana Villages Lake Buena Vista last summer. I bid on them at Sky Auction and got a 2 bedroom condo for $750 for a week. On Sky Auction you know what condo you are bidding on. I had no problems with the transaction. The place was really nice and everything was recently remodeled There were several pools on the grounds and they had a little kids club with organized crafts each day. There was a pizza place and A&W on the property plus I think a couple of restaurants. They had pool side movies a couple times duriing the week. My kids loved the place and I loved having so much room and a kitchen to cook meals in. Best thing is with two bedrooms if someone wanted to go to bed early they could and others could stay up later in the family room and watch TV.
2007 SSR
2008 OKW
2009 Vero Beach
2010 HHI
2011 DCL
2012 Offsite
2013 AKV
2014 WL
lpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
davinakb
DIS Veteran

Agree w/ other comments - 'best' has different meanings.

Luxury hotels been listed, similar in $$ but possibly nicer. Mods the same. Adding to the HI rec, Springhill suites and Fairfield Inn also in that price for safe, clean w/ parking and breakfast.

Cheap - harder. That's the 192 side which - I'd rather pay more. Even do FF or Radisson LBV for $85 (w/ breakfast, parking, internet) than $50 for no-tel motel. Or two options, depending on season, # people, budget, etc. FWIW:

1) Priceline. Study the area, check the bids etc. For 2 people, short trip I try bidding for deal.
2) Condo or time share off property, esp. for bigger group and/or longer trip. Almost always what we do. Either TS via friend or condo/house (Windsor hills, Emerald Isle, etc) via VRBO, Homeaway. As mentioned, going thru owners directly is more savings.
davinakb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely look into renting from the owner. We are also considering a Mariott since we should have a free night or two by then. We might stay at a value to get EMH, but they are pretty pricey for a lower quality. I'd love to stay on site at Universal, to get early access to WWoHP but that is crazy expensive

Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

lLink to property

I rented this home in August and loved it! Lots of space, saved us lots of money. We drove to FL that time so we had a car. Got our park tickets from undercover tourist and saved that way too.

Lots of room for my family of 6 and my mom.

Loved the idea of coming back to the house to use our own pool. Then went back to the parks after a rest.

The owner was very accomodating and great on price. You can't beat 100.00 per night for all of that! Tell him Monica sent you!
monymony3471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
g8torphan
Mouseketeer

Buena Vista Suites is the best I've found off site.
You can get a great rate through Mousesaver; big 2 room suites with 2 queens and an above average breakfast in the morning. Very easy to get to.
Not too large of a property so you don't have to walk forever to get to your room after a long day.
Staying in May for 4 nights

Magic Kingdom 2.2.13 Magic Kingdom 5.17.13 Epcot 5.18.13 Animal Kingdom 5.19.13
Magic Kingdom 2.25.12 Hollywood Studios 5.17.12Magic Kingdom 5.18.12 Animal Kingdom 5.19.12

DIS Dad's Club Member # 698
g8torphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
JennifrM
Earning My Ears

lighthouse key resort

My family has stayed at Lighthouse Key Resort and Spa before and loved it. Spacious, new, clean and average-ish rates. We are going to check it out this spring for our first time there. They have a little movie theater all day with Disney movies and some other fun stuff. It may be worth checking out their rates.
JennifrM is offline   Reply With Quote