Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #1711
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I have a slightly ridiculous sounding balloon ladies question.

What KIND of balloons do they have? Are they the typical latex balloons, the traditional Mickey Head balloons, or some other sort of balloon?

Are they only at the very back of the pack, so you only encounter them as you get picked up?

Also, I recall reading that the Pace Team also uses balloons, what kind are they and where are they located?

Are there any other balloons anywhere?

My running buddy (BFF) has a severe latex allergy, and balloons have the potential to cause a major issue for her. Since we can't get the world to stop using balloons (lol) the best we can do is be informed and keep as much distance between her and the 'orbs of death' as possible. I promised her some time ago I would find out about this and now I am... lol.

We will be running towards the back half of E or front half of F (we were placed in different corrals despite submitting identical times, so we will find out at the expo whether I can move up or she can move back) and do not anticipate a true concern with getting picked up, barring an injury or something similar.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #1712
angie74
Earning My Ears

Second Disney marathon. I haven't really been running since October. Going to take it easy going. The first one was a mess so hoping this one will be better.

Good luck to everyone!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #1713
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post

The temps usually dictate what I put in my bag, but it always has a change of clothes.

I always put some compression and an extra pair of shoes, a clean shirt a facecloth to get the salt off of my face and a treat (snickers, twix, etc.)
I've always wondered about this...where do people change when they bring a change of clothes? I'm with PP, I have never done bag check for any race. I use the snacks and water they pass out, take a quick picture and go back to a nice hot shower and fresh clothes. I think the worse part after the princess was getting off the bus at the resort. Ouch. One of the maintenance people was ribbing us asking if we had just done the "marathon" (had to tell him it was a half). When we said yes, he said he could always tell who had done the "marathon." "You always looks so fresh and energized before the race and then you're all crawling when you get back." That was a long walk back to our room.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #1714
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
From the race instructions........

Disney Family Fun Run 5K Spectator Viewing
Spectators are encouraged to view the 5K start and finish
from the Imagine Lot at Epcot ®. There will be no viewing
areas along the course or from within Epcot ®.
Yeesh, no more reading the race instructions in the morning. Better read them again to see what else I missed. Thanks for the help!
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #1715
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I've always wondered about this...where do people change when they bring a change of clothes? I'm with PP, I have never done bag check for any race. I use the snacks and water they pass out, take a quick picture and go back to a nice hot shower and fresh clothes. I think the worse part after the princess was getting off the bus at the resort. Ouch. One of the maintenance people was ribbing us asking if we had just done the "marathon" (had to tell him it was a half). When we said yes, he said he could always tell who had done the "marathon." "You always looks so fresh and energized before the race and then you're all crawling when you get back." That was a long walk back to our room.
Well, I am a guy so in the lot... But I keep the same shorts on. If cold, I have pants I slide up over the running shorts
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1716
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck
Okay, I know I've asked some stupid questions as a running newbie, but here comes the stupidest one. What would one put in bag check? I wasn't planning on using it because I couldn't think of anything I would need after the race. Of course, I've only got two 5K's under my belt, so maybe I am missing something major. Thanks!
Change of shoes, dry clothes, jacket, room key, cell phone - all things that could go in a bag. At a minimum, I always have a set of dry clothes and a pair of sandals or flip-flops.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #1717
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
I have a slightly ridiculous sounding balloon ladies question.

What KIND of balloons do they have? Are they the typical latex balloons, the traditional Mickey Head balloons, or some other sort of balloon?

Are they only at the very back of the pack, so you only encounter them as you get picked up?

Also, I recall reading that the Pace Team also uses balloons, what kind are they and where are they located?

My running buddy (BFF) has a severe latex allergy, and balloons have the potential to cause a major issue for her. Since we can't get the world to stop using balloons (lol) the best we can do is be informed and keep as much distance between her and the 'orbs of death' as possible. I promised her some time ago I would find out about this and now I am... lol.

We will be running towards the back half of E or front half of F (we were placed in different corrals despite submitting identical times, so we will find out at the expo whether I can move up or she can move back) and do not anticipate a true concern with getting picked up, barring an injury or something similar.
She can move back with no issue or question required, you cannot move forward unless you have a race 10k or longer supporting a faster time. I would suggest the former.

With regard to the balloons, yes latex. You will have the 5 hour and 5:15 pace team to dodge.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #1718
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Question for you guys...my training in December was not so great! I did a half on December 2nd, and took a couple days off, followed by two 3 mile easy runs. Then, my gums got infected and is as on antibiotics for over a week, similar to getting wisdom teeth, but it was my back molars. Couldn't run at all for a good bit due to pain (it was a sharp pain through my mouth every time I hit the pavement!), then had about a week of only making it 2 miles before the side effects of antibiotics did me in. I got in a 6 mile run right before Christmas, and had every intention of an 8-10 mile run last weekend...but that just didn't happen thanks to holiday parties...I got plenty of 30-45 minute runs in, but twice when I was all laced up, the DH called to say we were meeting friends in an hour and I was happy just to squeeze in there miles!

So, do I squeeze in a long run this weekend? If so, how far? Or do I assume that doing a half five weeks before the WDW half will leave me fine? I'm in Corral D, but plan on taking this one slow and stopping for pictures!
I would limit the weekend run to 6-7 miles. From that, you can spring into the half next weekend. Slow up in the race.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #1719
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

Finished my last 5 miler 70 degrees with 85% humidity--it was rough! Thankfully no sun, but I am soaked. Whew!

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #1720
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
She can move back with no issue or question required, you cannot move forward unless you have a race 10k or longer supporting a faster time. I would suggest the former.

With regard to the balloons, yes latex. You will have the 5 hour and 5:15 pace team to dodge.
We ran a 10k and posted identical times (well, 7 seconds apart - 1:19:50 and 1:19:57. We are not fast runners.) They were submitted to Disney. But we're 3,000 bib numbers apart!

We're running the half, not the full -- assuming we'll be dodging the 3:00 Pace Team then? As long as the balloons don't pop, she will likely be okay, but apparently breathing is important to running so we will watch and try to stay far away.

ETA: Forgot to say THANKS!!
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #1721
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
Cheesy question. Has this group ever done anything to identify each other on race day like a colored shoe string or mark on the arm? I think it would be kind of cool to cheer each other on!
I've got about a dozen WISH temporary tattoos that I plan to bring to the POP meet. Would look great on an arm or cheek (facial )

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #1722
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I've always wondered about this...where do people change when they bring a change of clothes?
I have used to porta potties beyond bag check to change into post-race clothes.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #1723
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
...[snip]...Also, I recall reading that the Pace Team also uses balloons, what kind are they and where are they located?...[snip]...

Here's a picture of a pacer:

The pacers hold up a pole with the time they are pacing (in this case it was the 5:30 pacer during the marathon) and the balloons...so you should be able to see them from a decent distance. Not sure about the "balloon ladies." The only other balloons I recall seeing on the course were helium-filled (i.e. a giant one shaped like Spaceship Earth). Hopefully your friend won't have any issues!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #1724
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
Cheesy question. Has this group ever done anything to identify each other on race day like a colored shoe string or mark on the arm? I think it would be kind of cool to cheer each other on!
I think those of us that have them will be wearing a WISH shirt on one or both days. Look for really bright lime green. I'll have mine on with a black sparkle skirt on Sunday.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1725
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Here's a picture of a pacer:

The pacers hold up a pole with the time they are pacing (in this case it was the 5:30 pacer during the marathon) and the balloons...so you should be able to see them from a decent distance. Not sure about the "balloon ladies." The only other balloons I recall seeing on the course were helium-filled (i.e. a giant one shaped like Spaceship Earth). Hopefully your friend won't have any issues!
Helium or hot air?

BTW - I like the photo. The guy just in front of the pacer looks just like my office neighbor. Though, it can't be him as he thinks Disney is 'silly'. Then the guy behind her is looking at you with a "why are you wasting energy?' look.

This must be mile 6-7 on the old marathon course
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: