Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #31
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger
I posted this on another thread but I wanted to share it here as well......

We have recently stayed at both WL and CR (and POR several years ago). I have to say I was hesitant to book CR because of the "lack of theme" and also the high price tag. But my DS begged me to and since it was only for a long weekend we decided to give it a try. I can't express enough how much we enjoyed CR. the sheer convenience of everything being so close was priceless. There were no winding hallways trying to get to elevators (like at WL), the grand concourse is so convenient for anything you could need or want. My kids loved watching the monorail go through the resort and after a long day watching the MK fireworks in our pj's was perfect!!! We loved having the monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. Oh and the size of the rooms is worth the extra $ as well. DD loved sleeping in the day bed, which gave DS a queen size bed all to himself DH and I still prefer the feel of YC the most but we both agreed with kids CR wins hands down. We will be returning to CR in Feb

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Thanks for pointing this out to me! I think I saw it on the Contemporary thread, but I'm not sure! I'm hoping I can talk our friend into it, or I guess they could stay at Poly if they wanted since its close and on the loop. Hopefully I can sue this gem to convince them to try the CR. I am really starting to think it will be worth it for the convenience! I like the idea of the day bed because our boys are 10 years apart so they really need separate sleeping spaces. 13 year old sleeps all over the bed so I can only imagine in a year what it will be like! Thanks again for the feedback!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire

Thanks for pointing this out to me! I think I saw it on the Contemporary thread, but I'm not sure! I'm hoping I can talk our friend into it, or I guess they could stay at Poly if they wanted since its close and on the loop. Hopefully I can sue this gem to convince them to try the CR. I am really starting to think it will be worth it for the convenience! I like the idea of the day bed because our boys are 10 years apart so they really need separate sleeping spaces. 13 year old sleeps all over the bed so I can only imagine in a year what it will be like! Thanks again for the feedback!
Growing up we actually did just that....my mom says we stayed at the Poly and our friends stayed at the CR, but I distinctly remember being in the CR arcade but that was 20+ years ago. I remember being between the two resorts a lot with the two families. While it would be nice to he at the same resort, I don't think its necessary, especially when you can just hop on the monorail.

Try to remind them that Poly is spread out and there is more walking between buildings

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger

Growing up we actually did just that....my mom says we stayed at the Poly and our friends stayed at the CR, but I distinctly remember being in the CR arcade but that was 20+ years ago. I remember being between the two resorts a lot with the two families. While it would be nice to he at the same resort, I don't think its necessary, especially when you can just hop on the monorail.

Try to remind them that Poly is spread out and there is more walking between buildings

That's not a bad idea at all me thinks! We're going for my oldest's 14th birthday and I'm hoping to do breakfast at O'hana on his birthday anyways. I'm sure they'd enjoy going back and forth. Now I just have to decide of we splurge for the TPV or do a quieter, and more cost effective, GW room...decisions, decisions!

Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #34
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

We have only stayed at the Poly and CR and BLT. loved both!!

I loved being able to walk to MK. and on the way back... it is the first stop.

the Poly has Ohana and Kona.. 2 of our favorites.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #35
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
That's not a bad idea at all me thinks! We're going for my oldest's 14th birthday and I'm hoping to do breakfast at O'hana on his birthday anyways. I'm sure they'd enjoy going back and forth. Now I just have to decide of we splurge for the TPV or do a quieter, and more cost effective, GW room...decisions, decisions!
We really splurged in Dec and did CL but a BLV room. We figured we got the best of both worlds, the serenity of Bay Lake, but then could hop over to the CL for the MK fireworks, etc. DH wouldn't even consider the GW because he felt that if we were staying at CR he wanted to be in the tower (now this comes from a man that would be happy if I booked all of our stays at an All-Star ). We definitely loved the BLV and the kids enjoyed watching the EWP at night and being able to see Illuminations in the distance, but when a TPV room opened up at the AP discount and would only be $35/nt more than our BLV, I asked the kids which they would rather do and they jumped all over the TPV. They are 7 and 9 so the MK is still so magical to them as well as watching the monorail, etc.

Of course you need to book what fits your budget best, but I have to say for my kids at least the TPV rooms are magical

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #36
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
would wait until Disney fixes all the problems with the monorail before staying at a MK monorail resort - they are just too expensive - and if the monorail is not working then why stay there.

now CR and BLT you can still walk to the MK. WL and VWL you can boat over to the Mk.
We just got back from a stay at GF and we will not be booking another stay at a monorail resort until the monorail problems are addressed and fixed. It is too expensive as well as being a great frustration for those of us who use ECVs. During our stay, the monorail was down every day for at least a portion of the day. Using the boat launch is not possible because GF only uses a small boat that will not fit an ECV. That forces ALL people using an ECV to use the bus. Because the GF is not the first stop on most buses, often the bus is already full by the time it reaches GF. This causes a great many delays. We booked a bounce back at WL which has, in our opinion, superior transportation at a more reasonable cost.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #37
HouseMother
Earning My Ears

I am in the same boat as you. We got back to our room the first night of our trip in May and I was already planning our next trip! We are looking to go back in early 2014 before trying for another baby, and are more than likely staying at CR. We will have a 4-year old and a 2-year old at the time and it would be awesome to just hop on the Monorail instead of waiting for a bus and having to deal with folding and unfolding a stroller.
HouseMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
would wait until Disney fixes all the problems with the monorail
My guess is that this will never happen.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #39
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
My guess is that this will never happen.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #40
disn3ymomma212
Earning My Ears

I would have to say the Contemporary Resort would be great. And has a view of MK ( :

1st trip 11/05 off site
2st trip 5/11 All-Star Movies
3nd trip 6/13 All-Star Movies

disn3ymomma212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #41
huntconn
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Honestly, there is no such this as the "best" monorail resort IMO. It really comes down to which resort theme you like best. All 3 are awesome resorts, with fantastic restaurants, pools, rooms, etc.
huntconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #42
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

We have stayed at all three, GF twice and Poly and CR many times. My favorite is the Poly because of the theme and the transportation is the best. I like being able to get the direct Epcot monorail at the TTC instead of switching tracks like with the GF and CR. The boat to MK is also nicer because MK is the first stop. Of course coming back you stop at GF first. I like the pool and food options too.

DH prefers the CR. he likes the theme and tower views. The fact that the wing rooms are the cheapest monorail resort rooms help also.

They are both great! Weigh which factors are most important to your family and choose accordingly

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #43
marykatmp
Earning My Ears

We are also a family of 5, and while you have a chance, I would really consider staying at WL and/or AKL. We love both and would love to be able to stay again. We would do AKL every time, but our youngest turns three this month so we have to bump up to the other resorts. You will be able to stay at all the monorail resorts after your baby would turn three. Just my 2 cents.
1987 off property--ASM 1996-- AS Sports 1997-- WL 1998-- Off Property 2002 and 2003-- POFQ 2004-- Off Property 2006,2007, 2008, 2009, 2010-- POP 2011-- AKL Aug. 2012-- Planning BC June 2015 with hubby and our three boys
marykatmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #44
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykatmp
We are also a family of 5, and while you have a chance, I would really consider staying at WL and/or AKL. We love both and would love to be able to stay again. We would do AKL every time, but our youngest turns three this month so we have to bump up to the other resorts. You will be able to stay at all the monorail resorts after your baby would turn three. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, these are both on our list of places to stay, (we were going to stay at AKL in Dec but changed to AoA so our two year old could stay in a Cars suite.) I think WL would be more manageable than AKL though if we have another baby. My husband is really the one who insists on a monorail resort for our next stay. I'm hoping to go twice in 2014 and thinking if we do DH's request first maybe I could convince him to try WL at the holidays. He really doesn't like having to collapse the stroller constantly.

Disney Magic - 3/2014

Last edited by lovingeire; 01-05-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
Robbi
DIS Veteran

CR or GF are our favorites. CR because it's convenient and GF because we love RPC.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: