Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

Off the Fantsay Christmas Cruise Lots of opinions mostly good and some bad

Just got home from the great cruise on the Disney Fantasy for Christmas.
This was my 9th cruise 6 on the magic 2 on the wonder.
Went with DW, DS1, DS2, DD. My daughther is adopoted and this is her cruise on her 3rd boat.
1st of all it was a great cruise the boat in beautiful.
There are many things I loved about the boat and some things I really didnt like.
I think I do like the classic ships better.
We have a cruise friend who we only see on cruises never make plans to see but he has been on 5 of 9 cruises including the last 3. None of it planed. He just there when we are I think he has been on 34 cruises his wife has been on 39.
We saw him in line to get on the ship and never saw him again. My son saw him twice.
That is how big the boat and how people are on it.

On the boat
We had a corner accessible vanranda room. Unbelievable large room 5 times larger then the normal. The deck went around the corner of the boat and huge ,it was like a quater the size of the boat.

The things I didn't like were

The thing I that thought was strange is that to get to the pool HC etc on deck 11 using the aft lifts you had go thru Cabanas and of course to get back to the room you had go thru Cabanas.There was no other way to get down unless you use the Mid Lifts and that you did have a long walk to the room.

THE TUBE is very poor room. It looks nice but only holds 200 people jammed in . It was main adult show room. With over 3700 people on the ship you can where at times you couldn't get and if you did get in you couldnt see because someone was standing in front of you.
This room need to fixed.
The general adult bar area was poorly done. O'Gils is tiny and if a big group did show up to watch the game you couldn't get it. Watch out on Super Sunday. I am sure they will have on the funnel and other places but you need to get O'gils when you wake up if you want a seat there.
But the craziest thing is every bar but the Tube in connect to each other where you have walk thru one to get to the other.
It is very strange.

What I like loved.
The dining rooms . Enchanted Garden is major improvement another very classic dining. AP is better then original.
WD theather and the BV theather seats are much more comfortable with more leg room.
Stores are much bigger and you can walk around without bumping into people and merchandise.
The lobby in unbelievable and look better then I thought decorated for Christmas.

I think I may lean to the older ships in the future becuase I just feel you got to know others and the crew.

BTW my host Mario may have been the best Stateroom Host I ever had and I never had a bad one. My server Rashea was great also.

I am sure I have other thoughts that I will think of.
Happy New Year.
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Thanks for sharing. I've only cruised the classics so far. Interesting pros and cons of cruising the larger ships.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

thanks for all the great info.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceagle76 View Post
I think I do like the classic ships better.
We have a cruise friend who we only see on cruises never make plans to see but he has been on 5 of 9 cruises including the last 3. None of it planed. He just there when we are I think he has been on 34 cruises his wife has been on 39.
We saw him in line to get on the ship and never saw him again. My son saw him twice.
That is how big the boat and how people are on it.
I can see how going from the smaller ships to the larger ships can throw you. However, I've only been on the Dream-class ships and I feel like I run into the same people all the time on the ship. On my last Dream cruise, two separate neighbor families (one directly across the street and one around a corner but on the same street) were on the ship. We did NOT plan that and I saw them frequently at meals, in character lines, on CC.

And of course we constantly run into Dismeet cruisers.

On our Fantasy cruise at the muster drill, my DH struck up a conversation with a lady from Plant City. Turns out she had checked our kids into the kids' club at the terminal on our previous cruise. How did he remember her just from her saying she was a CM at the port???? We saw them every day on the cruise, too.

It must be my DH's secret power, because in Skyline on the Fantasy he asked a server (Dragana) what town she was from in Serbia. She answered--some small town I had never heard of--and after about five minutes discovered that my DH's good friend (traveled to Serbia frequently for a while) had recently dated Dragana's hairdresser. Seriously? He knew her name! So. What can I say? No matter how big the ship, my DH will know or remember someone. And we see them everywhere!

I'm wondering what it will be like when we cruise the smaller ships. Will we all feel like we're stalking each other?
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Majik
Majik

Hi

Pleased to hear that you mainly enjoyed your cruise. Did you by any chance video the carol singing in the atrium on Christmas Day. My son says it was amazing.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review. So far we have only been on the classics but have a reservation on the Dream for next year and a dummy date we will move to the Fantasy when the rest of 2014 comes out.

I like the pro/con reviews. Much more helpful and the only ones I pay attention to.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I found the adult bar areas on the Fantasy to be fantastic!!! The Tube was awesome...I think you run into the same problem on the Magic/Wonder in Rockin Bar D and Wavebands when there is a show...not enough seats, people standing...they broadcast the show in Diversions some times when it too crowded and I believe they do the same on the Dream/Fantasy.

I think the reason the bars connect to each other is for flow. There is more than one entrance to each of them to prevent some bottlenecking. But you can get to each bar on its own without going through another one.

The adult area is vastly improved over the classic ships and was so glad to see activity in them after midnight! I guess it would be hard to make every venue big enough to hold the amount of people who may want to go there but I love that the new ships did really try to get the adult nightlife kick started. Love the variety of all the bars.

funny as I did not really warm up to Enchanted Garden on any of our 4 Dream/Fantasy cruises. Something about it. It is my least favorite of the dining rooms.

I just loved the Fantasy and can't wait to sail her again. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Katekins13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceagle76

On the boat
We had a corner accessible vanranda room. Unbelievable large room 5 times larger then the normal. The deck went around the corner of the boat and huge ,it was like a quater the size of the boat..
Can you share the room number and category?

Thanks!

Katekins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Madhattr
Mouseketeer

Thanks much for your thoughts. We are just off the Magic Christmas cruise having only sailed before on the Dream and Fantasy. couldn't agree more. We are now in love love love with the classics. So much so we booked the west bound panama canal on the Wonder.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

Cabin

5E
Unbelievable room especially the deck
One of my favorite things to do is sit on deck 4 and read on loungers
Didn'r do as much on this cruise because of the time spend on our deck.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

Canal

We did the 15 day pamana canal cruise in 2007 or 08
It was the best cruise I ever taken image when you get to night 7 and you still have 8 more nights(now 7 to go)
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

Carolers

didnt video them but did the end of their show outside the WD theatre after midnight mass they were amazing as were the singers at Mass
The great thing about the Mass was the crew and the passengers attended together.
I really like that.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

on the tube vs rockin bar d
rockin bar d holds 270 people vs the tube 200 and there 40% less people on the ship
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
bceagle76
Mouseketeer

did i answer everyone's questions
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Katekins13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceagle76
5E
Unbelievable room especially the deck
One of my favorite things to do is sit on deck 4 and read on loungers
Didn'r do as much on this cruise because of the time spend on our deck.
Thanks!

Katekins13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: