Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaf7878;46977301[I
]My best advice is to train and run the race using the same foods/drinks.

[/I]Bagels with peanut butter always worked well an hour or so pre-run. Then around mile 4 I would start my gels and use those every 4 miles.

This was many years ago and I have since switched to Cliff Shot Bloks for my upcoming half (taste better and not as messy).

I prefer to only drink water if I am using gels/bloks on my runs (my bloks have extra sodium so I don't need the sodium from the drinks).

Personally, I could not deal with "real" food on a run--ugh--my stomach would not be happy!

But honestly I would try a few things out on your training long runs and see how you feel. There are so many products available now so the options/flavors are endless--have fun with it!

I agree with the practice with the race drink... but you cannot really find the powdered version of PowerAde on retail shelves in the US. I find that GatorAde G2 is closer to the race drink than bottled PowerAde. I cannot figure out why Coke creates so vastly different product.

I do not really worry about the food offered by the race as I train with what I know works for me. If you happen to be training with Clif products do MAKE SURE that you are grabbing the flavor you have trained with. A simple change in flavor can cause issue.

One other point. I would look to train on a shorter long run by taking a banana on the run. I see lots of half eaten bananas on the roadway in a marathon. Also, if you do practice with a banana, check the ripeness in the marathon. The bananas in a race are usually fairly green and firm. That may not be what one is looking for.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
guava
Mouseketeer

I didn't think I'd ever find a fuel I liked. Not a fan of shots, gu, blocks or beans. Then I tried a Honey Stinger Energy Waffle. Seriously, I love these things. Very easy on the stomach and I actually find I look forward to snack time on my long runs.
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
I didn't think I'd ever find a fuel I liked. Not a fan of shots, gu, blocks or beans. Then I tried a Honey Stinger Energy Waffle. Seriously, I love these things. Very easy on the stomach and I actually find I look forward to snack time on my long runs.
You will never believe this ... but I cannot use their products at all. Something with the honey base rips me up. However, for many folks, it seems to work well.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I can't do the Honey Stingers... They taste so good and are easy to eat but make me sick to my stomach. My DS suggested the waffles and those I can do and taste good too. Easier to eat than a powerbar or granola bar.

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #20
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks.

For the half I normally start the day a few hours before the race with a bran muffin and two bannanas and coffee..and carry jellie bellies with me.

I will probably do this for the full..

Peanut butter combos snack food.
Load up of jelly bellies.

A bannana a half hour before the race (as per someone who posted this is what they do)

carry salt just in case.

The thing with the Disney race is that there is loads of waiting around time...from the time the bus drops you off at the waiting area..then the walk to the corrals and then the wait until your corral is ready...I remember last year I waited almost an hour before my corral was at the start line. Knowing I have 26.2 miles to go from all that waiting..yeah a bannana around that time sounds good.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
I can't do the Honey Stingers... They taste so good and are easy to eat but make me sick to my stomach. My DS suggested the waffles and those I can do and taste good too. Easier to eat than a powerbar or granola bar.
I have found that they are the only ones that don't make me sick to my stomach, especially when the weather is warmer and I am sweating more. I was having serious GI issues this summer with all the extra sugar from Gatorade and Sportsbeans and whatnot (I cannot drink G2, the artificial sweeteners in it make me sick). I switched to coconut water, less Gatorade and Honeystingers and life got much better

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: