Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #376
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Hi there It's been weeks since I've been on the Dis, and now I'm finally caught up on your TR!! Hope yall had a wonderful Christmas!
Hi, there! So good to see you! We had a very nice, quiet Christmas. Hope your family had a good one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Ok...let me just say that Reid has really grown up since your WL/cruise trip!! Wow! It seems like he wanted to do a lot more rides AND stayed awake until midnight!! Just wait until he no longer needs any naps at all and wants to do extra magic hours at night....lots of fun!
I know...I can't believe how big he's getting! It really hit me today that this is the year he will start kindergarten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Your IoA pics were super good. Bill and I would really like to take the kids there in the very near future. Now that all of them are tall enough to ride most things, I think they would have a blast. I've thought about staying in one of their hotels...of course this is all up in the air
Thank you!! I think y'all would have a fun trip there. The only Universal hotel we've stayed at is Hard Rock Hotel. It was very nice and the walk to the parks was really short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
So glad yall enjoyed Citricos! I totally agree....a WONDERFUL restaurant and worth a visit. The waiter we had was great, too, and very patient (we had the kids with us) If I remember correctly, we were there for about 2 hours...had a table by the window so the kids could get up and look and kinda walk around, not really disturbing anyone (I hope ) I knew Reid would love The Neverland Club....aren't they awesome there??!! My kids wanted to return, also....didn't happen, though. Maybe another trip.
I am so happy we did our date night! Citricos was fabulous and I would definitely go back there again. I think we'll be doing another date night if we go back in December since we'll be celebrating our anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
And yay for you...convincing Ed to do another WDW visit Not hard to convince him, huh? Seems like he really enjoys the World
He really has come along way with his love for WDW! He doesn't even roll his eyes at me when I talk about planning for our December trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Yall have a Happy New Year!
Heather
Thank you!! Hope y'all have a Happy New Year as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
It was fine. For me, I got some good pics. So the viewing spot alone nearly made it worth it. However, I was not overly impressed with the dessert offerings. It seemed to be a lot of flavored creams/mouses. If there had been more actual pastries rather than dish after dish of one mouse or another i would have been happier. Tension was a bit high in our group too...so it made it hard to enjoy.
Yeah, I've heard the desserts are not very impressive. I think I'll pass on it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
BTW, I finally did start a TR if you are interested.
I'm definitely interested! Will be there in just a bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Happy New Year



Thank you!! And to y'all as well!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #377
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Wednesday, October 3rd - Breakfast at Hollywood & Vine


I woke up at 6:15 am and started getting ready for the day. They guys got up at 6:45 am to get ready. We were in our car leaving OKW by 7:25 am. We quickly made our way to DHS, got through bag check and were in the character breakfast line by 7:45 am.



Not the best looking skies, huh?

We waited in line for a little bit, waiting for them to start checking us in for breakfast at Hollywood & Vine.





At about 7:55, they started checking in people. The woman finally got to us with her little clipboard. I gave her my name and she said she found us and checked us in. Then, we were through the turnstile and on to the restaurant!













When we got to H&V, there were many people outside waiting to be seated. Our ADR was right at 8am. We got our stroller parked and covered. I noticed that some people were already being seated, so I went to the podium to make sure we were checked in. I gave the girl my name and she said, ďOh yes. I see you checked in right here. It should only be a minute or two more.Ē

Well, many minutes went by with many other people being seated ahead of us. In the meantime, I noticed that they kept calling for another family with our last name. Now, we do have a very common last name so it wouldnít be odd for another family with the same last name to be there. So, every few minutes, I was hearing a waiter call for ďvery common family name, party of 5Ē. Because the party size was different, I didnít think it was us. Also, the first name he was saying isnít my name.

After a while though, we all grew quite frustrated. The waiter came out one more time calling for that family & when they still didnít show up, I went back to the podium. I asked the girl what was going - we still hadnít been seated & they were calling for a family with our same last name but different amount of people & they obviously werenít there.

Wouldnít you know it? They checked in the wrong family! REALLY?!? And to think I had confirmed my name at the podium. Two people ďconfirmedĒ the wrong family. Needless to say, I was not happy. By the time we got seated it was 8:15 am. Not terrible but we could have been in there right away if people had paid attention to their job.

Ed went and got food for all 3 of us while Reid got meet Special Agent Oso.







After that meeting, they were playing some music and the kids could go up and dance with some of the characters. Reid went up to dance with Handy Manny and really enjoyed himself!







Continued in Next Post......




amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #378
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Hollywood & Vine Breakfast Continued


Continued from Previous Post.....

Our waiter was trying to joke around with us a bit. I think he was trying to make up for them not checking us in correctly.



Then, Handy Manny came over to visit us.







Someone was in a silly mood this morning:



Around 8:45 am, Ed left us to start heading towards TSMM to grab our FPís. While he was gone, Reid met Jake from Jake & the Neverland Pirates.







And then, it was time for the final character, June from Little Einsteins. The look on Reidís face in this picture cracks me up!





Ed made his way back to us, with TSMM FPís that had a return time of 10:55 am. We got our bill settled and then headed out of H&V.







As for the food, I didnít take any notes. I remember it being your basic breakfast buffet type food. It was hot and fine. Nothing outstanding but it definitely wasnít bad.

So, would I eat there again? Probably not. Naturally, the whole check-in debacle did put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But, I also donít see Reid being interested in those characters long-term. As it is, he rarely cares about meeting characters. But, I am glad we tried while he was little and likes those characters. He had fun and thatís really all that matters.




amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #379
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran
 
marDgreen88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,819

Love the picture of Reid (with the chain link fence)... TOO cute!

Ugh, sorry about the checkin mixup. That's frustrating.

I'm glad breakfast was alright. Better than bad, at least! At least you can say you've been there, right?
__________________
-Marissa
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #380
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,716

Fun update, Amanda. We had nothing but issues when we ate at H&V twice. We didn't do breakfast...but dinner. The one time they totally messed up our ADR, and both times the food was mediocre at best and not hot (plus the restaurant was filthy and the service awful). But I'm glad you went and Reid enjoyed the characters. It looks as if he is rather "smitten" with that one character...love that picture.
__________________
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #381
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Love the picture of Reid (with the chain link fence)... TOO cute!
Thank you!! I really like that one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Ugh, sorry about the checkin mixup. That's frustrating.
It really was frustrating. Even Reid and Ed were getting aggravated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm glad breakfast was alright. Better than bad, at least! At least you can say you've been there, right?
Yep, that's pretty much it! We went, we saw, we ate. Now it can be crossed off the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Fun update, Amanda. We had nothing but issues when we ate at H&V twice. We didn't do breakfast...but dinner. The one time they totally messed up our ADR, and both times the food was mediocre at best and not hot (plus the restaurant was filthy and the service awful). But I'm glad you went and Reid enjoyed the characters. It looks as if he is rather "smitten" with that one character...love that picture.
Thanks!

Seems like a lot of people have bad experiences there. I was really on the fence about whether or not to even book this ADR. In the end, I'm glad I did it for Reid. But, it definitely won't be one we return to.

Thank you....I was kind of surprised by how smitten he was with June. I mean, he likes that show but I've never seen him get that way with a character before. It was cute!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #382
shan23877
I make lists about my lists
 
shan23877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,313

Oh no! I'm so sorry that breakfast was so mehhh. How frustrating that the check in was messed up!

It did look like Reid liked the characters though! For some reason Maddie has her heart set on going back even though she barely watches Disney Jr anymore. I guess once more won't kill us.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #383
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Oh no! I'm so sorry that breakfast was so mehhh. How frustrating that the check in was messed up!
If our check-in hadn't been messed up, perhaps I would feel a little bit better about H&V. But, it really just started the meal off on the wrong foot. Oh well....at least the food wasn't horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
It did look like Reid liked the characters though! For some reason Maddie has her heart set on going back even though she barely watches Disney Jr anymore. I guess once more won't kill us.
I have to say that he did really have a lot of fun at that meal.

Maddie loves her characters so much! If Reid was like that, I would perhaps consider going back for her. And, if I remember correctly, y'all had a better experience there than we did.

I am only planning one character meal for our December trip: Chef Mickey's. Reid was so disappointed that we didn't go there this year. And since I booked us a TPV @ the CR today, it would be super easy to get to!!!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #384
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran
 
PracPerfPatricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,467

Wow... I'm always totally neurotic about them messing up names and things at those morning breakfast check ins especially... it's a good thing you you followed up on them...

But all's well that ends well and it looks like Reid had a really good time with the characters at H&V...

When David was Reid's age... Jake & the Pirates weren't around but he did like Handy Manny and that little girl character from Little Einsteins... June...lol... he used to smile at her on tv... so I'm sure he'd have had a look on his face like Reid did if he had gotten to meet her...lol...

Some places are one time shots and others are favorite go back to places...it all works out... (plus you're in the park now...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #385
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Not the best looking skies, huh?
Hmmm... more rain on the horizon???

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Well, many minutes went by with many other people being seated ahead of us. In the meantime, I noticed that they kept calling for another family with our last name. Now, we do have a very common last name so it wouldnít be odd for another family with the same last name to be there. So, every few minutes, I was hearing a waiter call for ďvery common family name, party of 5Ē. Because the party size was different, I didnít think it was us. Also, the first name he was saying isnít my name.
Oh no...

That's really frustrating. I'd hope they would realize there are 2 ADR's on the list for the same last name... and they'd at least catch the different party size when they'd checked you in.



I'm glad that overall, the experience was ok. A breakfast buffet is a breakfast buffet for the most part. Reid looks like he at least had a good time with the characters. I don't understand why they still have Oso there. I don't see him on Disney Jr very much anymore and if there is a Disney Jr character that I just want to punch, it is him.


I have to say that I'm not a big H&V fan myself. The last time we ate there was a dinner ADR in 2008. We checked in and had to wait outside, crammed under what little bit of protection there was from the rain with a bunch of other people and we waited forever to finally be called in. Once we got in, the hot food in the buffet was cold. I like to give the benefit of the doubt, but I get what you're saying about a bad experience with a check in or something just leaving a bad taste about a place.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #386
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 19,036

Bummer - I missed an update! Be back later when I can see pics!
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #387
amandaw
DIS Veteran
 
amandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Wow... I'm always totally neurotic about them messing up names and things at those morning breakfast check ins especially... it's a good thing you you followed up on them...
It was so aggravating. And the other woman's 1st name? Yeah, not even close to my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
But all's well that ends well and it looks like Reid had a really good time with the characters at H&V...
Yes, at least the meal ended on a high note. Reid really enjoyed himself at that meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
When David was Reid's age... Jake & the Pirates weren't around but he did like Handy Manny and that little girl character from Little Einsteins... June...lol... he used to smile at her on tv... so I'm sure he'd have had a look on his face like Reid did if he had gotten to meet her...lol...
That's too funny! Wonder what it is with June that has all the boys so smitten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Some places are one time shots and others are favorite go back to places...it all works out... (plus you're in the park now...
Absolutely! In the end, I'm glad we did it. At least I know how I feel about it now instead of having to wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Hmmm... more rain on the horizon???
Maybe....but it won't be as much as the previous day at MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Oh no...

That's really frustrating. I'd hope they would realize there are 2 ADR's on the list for the same last name... and they'd at least catch the different party size when they'd checked you in.
Right?!? I mean, yes, our last name is the same. But, our party size was different and my first name and that woman's first name were very different from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I'm glad that overall, the experience was ok. A breakfast buffet is a breakfast buffet for the most part. Reid looks like he at least had a good time with the characters. I don't understand why they still have Oso there. I don't see him on Disney Jr very much anymore and if there is a Disney Jr character that I just want to punch, it is him.
OMG! Me, too! That "unique stuffed bear" is the most annoying character ever! He's such an idiot, he just aggravates me. I mean, he's supposed to be going to the child to help them with whatever but they always end up teaching him. He's just so stupid! Ok, Oso rant over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I have to say that I'm not a big H&V fan myself. The last time we ate there was a dinner ADR in 2008. We checked in and had to wait outside, crammed under what little bit of protection there was from the rain with a bunch of other people and we waited forever to finally be called in. Once we got in, the hot food in the buffet was cold. I like to give the benefit of the doubt, but I get what you're saying about a bad experience with a check in or something just leaving a bad taste about a place.
I could just imagine how it would be waiting to get in there with it raining! Yeah, one bad thing can just completely turn you against a restaurant or resort. Sometimes, you're just not left with a reason to give the place another try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Bummer - I missed an update! Be back later when I can see pics!
No worries!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #388
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly
 
creativeamanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,404

We had breakfast at Hollywood and Vine once. It was a similar experience and I wouldn't do it again.
__________________
Disney Trips: Jan 2007 (POP); Oct 2008 (POR); June 2009 (POR); Dec 2009 (POFQ); June 2010 (POR);
June 2011 (POR/BC); June 2012 (POP/CSR); Feb 2013 (CSR/BWV); Jan 2014 (POP); July 2014 (ASMu); Jan 2015 (POP)


creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #389
shan23877
I make lists about my lists
 
shan23877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,313

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
If our check-in hadn't been messed up, perhaps I would feel a little bit better about H&V. But, it really just started the meal off on the wrong foot. Oh well....at least the food wasn't horrible.



I have to say that he did really have a lot of fun at that meal.

Maddie loves her characters so much! If Reid was like that, I would perhaps consider going back for her. And, if I remember correctly, y'all had a better experience there than we did.

I am only planning one character meal for our December trip: Chef Mickey's. Reid was so disappointed that we didn't go there this year. And since I booked us a TPV @ the CR today, it would be super easy to get to!!!
AAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!! How exciting!!!!! I am soo soooo excited for you guys! That's awesome! I cannot wait to hear about that!

I have good news too! I am 95% sure we'll be back at WDW this summer. Bryan chose the dates AND the resort. Wait until you hear where we're staying.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #390
shan23877
I make lists about my lists
 
shan23877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,313

And, I'm totally with you guys on Oso. I can't stand that bear. The other day we were getting ready to leave and I told Maddie to turn off the TV. She said "hang on mommy-Oso is helping this kid learn how to go to the bathroom". To which I replied "Why on earth are even watching that show?" She said she has "no idea".

So yeah I hate Oso too. He's an idiot.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: