Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
kellia
DIS Veteran

problems cooking dried beans

Help! I keep trying to use dried beans for use in chili and other soups that will cook all day in a crock pot. But when the meal is done, they are either crunchy or mushy. SIGH!!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
gardengalB4
DIS Veteran

The beans need to be soaked in water overnight,drained,rinsed & then put in the crockpot to cook all day....I cook them on low.
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Soben
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellia View Post
Help! I keep trying to use dried beans for use in chili and other soups that will cook all day in a crock pot. But when the meal is done, they are either crunchy or mushy. SIGH!!
Also, if they're old, they will take f--o--r--e--v--e--r to cook. I just cook them forever, but it can be frustrating. You can try soaking and then freezing, helps break down the cell walls.

If they're newer or fresher, and you soak them and cook them for a few hours, you shouldn't have trouble.

If you don't want to soak, you're looking at 6-8 hours in the crock pot. That's how I make pinto beans for refried.
Soben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

Also, don't soak them with salt because that can prevent them from softening. If possible, soak them and cook them in a regular pot and add them to the slow cooker toward the end of cooking so you know they are the texture you would prefer.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
AlaskaMOM
BL II - Blue Team
DH is my Prince Charming

Also do not add any acidic ingredients (tomatoes) until the beans are soft. As the acid will not allow them to soften any more.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
gardengalB4
DIS Veteran

I have also dumped in a can of coke when I throw everything in the crockpot....DH likes this
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
lizabu
DIS Veteran

If you put any salt in they will never get soft.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

This is some good information! I never knew all of this.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
Yep, one of the first things I remember my mom teaching me
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Well you learn something new every day! I have never successfully made a recipe with dried beans and gave up. I am sure I have salted the water or used bouillon that contains a lot of salt and I bet that is my problem with soups! My sister and I both like to cook and had given up on them after a disgusting lentil soup. I am willing to give it another try
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
limace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu
This actually isn't true-though I believed it for years. The folks at America's Test Kitchen now recommend brining beans in salt water for extra flavor.

http://m.lifehacker.com/5906564/brin...or-and-texture
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
clm10308
DIS Veteran

The altitude at which you live can also have an impact. I moved from sea level to 6500 ft and had to learn to cook some things all over again. Dry beans take forever to cook here and that is on the stove. It would take days to cook them in a crockpot if it would even work at all.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
Readerbug
Using My Ears

And even when I do all these things, sometimes beans still don't get 'ready' when I want them to, especially when using a roaster or a crock pot to cook a lot of them.

I think there's a "Bean finger" just like there's a green thumb. And I don't have it. I do think I have low heat crockpots. And I learned when I want beans, I have to think long term. I make a big batch way before, days before I want them, when I am under no time pressure and they can cook as long as they darn please, then divide them up into can-size portions and freeze. Then add them into what ever needs them, the day of.

(But I too, experimented after cooking beans without salt for years, (I had many hispanic neighbors who only made refried from beans from scratch, and they always added salt at the beginning of the soak...??) I learned I could pre salt beans and still get them soft- so it wasn't the salt that was holdn 'em back.

I think some bagged beans are Verrrrrry Old. Because most people use cans, and they sit on the shelf a lot. Cooking up into beans that have totally shed their wrinkly skins is a clue. But they are still good to eat. Just harder to cook.

Dry Beans are hardcore budget stuff. I think there ought to be a "Bean Badge" avatar for all you who are drybean green thumbs, and an "Earning my Beans" for all us still practicing! Those with badges are seriously saving for Disney.

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.

Last edited by Readerbug; 01-03-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling and punc.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMOM
Also do not add any acidic ingredients (tomatoes) until the beans are soft. As the acid will not allow them to soften any more.
Yes. This is a big factor. Put the tomato last.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerbug View Post
And even when I do all these things, sometimes beans still don't get 'ready' when I want them to, especially when using a roaster or a crock pot to cook a lot of them.

I think there's a "Bean finger" just like there's a green thumb. And I don't have it. I do think I have low heat crockpots. And I learned when I want beans, I have to think long term. I make a big batch way before, days before I want them, when I am under no time pressure and they can cook as long as they darn please, then divide them up into can-size portions and freeze. Then add them into what ever needs them, the day of.

(But I too, experimented after cooking beans without salt for years, (I had many hispanic neighbors who only made refried from beans from scratch, and they always added salt at the beginning of the soak...??) I learned I could pre salt beans and still get them soft- so it wasn't the salt that was holdn 'em back.

I think some bagged beans are Verrrrrry Old. Because most people use cans, and they sit on the shelf a lot. Cooking up into beans that have totally shed their wrinkly skins is a clue. But they are still good to eat. Just harder to cook.

Dry Beans are hardcore budget stuff. I think there ought to be a "Bean Badge" avatar for all you who are drybean green thumbs, and an "Earning my Beans" for all us still practicing! Those with badges are seriously saving for Disney.
I soak my beans overnight, drain the water, and cook till just soft, not mushy. Then I freeze the beans in 2 cup baggies, and use when a recipe calls for canned beans. It is far, far, cheaper than canned beans.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: