Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #136
Bearwater
Earning My Ears

Unfortunately for our family we are being price "gouged" because #1 our calendar and work obligations cause us to go during a time they consider a "Holiday" and #2 they are counting on the new Fantasyland to draw bigger crowds. With a 14 year old girl and 11 year old boy, we really don't even plan on visiting the new Fantasyland.
Bearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #137
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abharmagic

The rooms in NYC are expensive b/c the property is expensive. Basically you need to be a millionaire to own property in Manhattan- NYC. Property is just not as expensive in Orlando and the surrounding area. Thus, one would expect to have to pay more to stay in NYC than they would in Orlando.
It has little to do with property value, it is economic supply and demand. If they weren't filling up the rooms at a profitable rate, then they would lower the rate.

But the statement was you can't compare Disney to NYC because people don't go there on vacation. All I am saying is that I have traveled enough, personally and professionally to believe that $90 a night for a value isn't gouging anyone. It is a decent motel with free transportation (airport and parks) and at least some amenities.

And as a different poster said she can't go when its $90 a night she has to go during the more popular times. That same thing happens everywhere. Bavarian Inn at Frankenmuth (which except for the pools) is between a value and a moderate charges $150 a night during spring break.
Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #138
LindyN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecow View Post
What's with the attitude on this thread of "If I don't get a deal I won't go and I hope Disney suffers." If you don't want to go then don't. If you don't want to stay on property then don't. To get mad at Disney because they won't give you "free stuff" is kind of scary, not to mention selfish.
I agree that individuals need to make a choice. Disney is certainly NOT suffering. They are a business and business need to make money to pay their employees and shareholders.

There are plenty of places to stay in the Lake Buena Vista and Kissimmee areas, and for me personally I like the convenience of being on Disney property. There's something for everyone.
LindyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #139
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
If you read my posts you would know I can afford to go. I refused to be gouged. This debate isn't about people that can't afford the prices, it's about people that can, but are smart enough not to allow Disney to gouge them with uncompetitive pricing.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Price gouging is not the same thing as uncompetitive pricing. And pricing is only uncompetitive if people won't pay it. You always have other alternatives. You can just not go to WDW- take your money elsewhere. You can stay offsite. You can buy your tickets from other sources. You can dine offsite or bring your own food. You can use other discounts. The end of FD as we have known it is not price gouging. It's simply the end of a discount that was offered for a few years. They still offer other discounts. Their rack rates are not price gouging- they are just really expensive.

Are disney resorts over priced. Yes. Because people will pay what they demand. People still go there, paying rack rate, no discounts, even at the most expensive time of the year. The only time Disney will offer a discount is when they forsee a need to fill rooms. And they won't lower rack rates until they see a drastic fall off in room occupancy.

They honestly don't HAVE to offer anything in order to make your vacationing a less expensive proposition. If you don't want to pay the prices they charge, then that is your privilege. I just wouldn't count (right now) on seeing a huge backlash based on this latest development.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #140
LindyN
Mouseketeer

I guess I don't think the Value or Moderates are overpriced when you look at all the benefits.

Free parking at the hotel, free internet, transportation to the parks, package delivery, complimentary airport transportation. Charging back to the room, a dining plan which enables you to do a lot of pre-payment of meals, satellite TV...
When you get to the Deluxes, you have very nice amenities and that's where things get costly with room rates. Disney really needs to plus things up for Deluxe amenities which I think will eventually come.

I do Values and Mods, mostly Mods. But if I just went once a year then I'd probably do a Deluxe.

My prediction is that FP+ is going to change things a lot at Disney, and the benefits of being on property are going to be seriously worth it especially during busier time periods.
LindyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #141
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Hmmmmm..... Disney has a LOT of rooms to keep full.

Disney has relied HEAVILY on free dining to keep those rooms full, especially in low crowd times.

Sort of makes me wonder if they are planning to "motivate" people in a different way this year........

Fastpass+. Cough. Cough. Fastpass+. Cough. Cough.

The latest rumor is that regular FP will go away when people enroll in FP+.

Things, they are a'changin.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #142
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post

Price gouging is not the same thing as uncompetitive pricing. And pricing is only uncompetitive if people won't pay it. You always have other alternatives. You can just not go to WDW- take your money elsewhere. You can stay offsite. You can buy your tickets from other sources. You can dine offsite or bring your own food. You can use other discounts. The end of FD as we have known it is not price gouging. It's simply the end of a discount that was offered for a few years. They still offer other discounts. Their rack rates are not price gouging- they are just really expensive.

Are disney resorts over priced. Yes. Because people will pay what they demand. People still go there, paying rack rate, no discounts, even at the most expensive time of the year. The only time Disney will offer a discount is when they forsee a need to fill rooms. And they won't lower rack rates until they see a drastic fall off in room occupancy.

They honestly don't HAVE to offer anything in order to make your vacationing a less expensive proposition. If you don't want to pay the prices they charge, then that is your privilege. I just wouldn't count (right now) on seeing a huge backlash based on this latest development.
First off everything in your post is your opinion, you are speaking like they are facts.

The big error in your thinking is that WDW hasn't filled rooms at rack rate for years. They aren't suffering yet and are still filling rooms because they have continued to offer FD and other comparable deals. IF and that's a big IF, they managed to continue to fill rooms this year using the plan being discussed which is raising prices AND offering smaller discounts of those prices than I will be wrong and they will be right. I personally think there room occupancy will go down drastically if they stick to their guns.

And to clarify its not just the rooms, it's the total cost of vacationing there. The Value and Mod rooms themselves are only a little overpriced. The park tickets are starting to get up there and to me only make sense if you get the 10 day tickets. The really big thing is the food prices, especially at the TS restaurants. We just came back from a 10'day stay onsite at Universal and the prices at City Walk/Resort restaurants are significantly cheaper than WDW. I was actually amazed at how reasonable the prices were, we had budgeted more money for food than we spent. We also stayed in a Deluxe resort onsite for the price of a Mod at WDW.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #143
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Hmmmmm..... Disney has a LOT of rooms to keep full.

Disney has relied HEAVILY on free dining to keep those rooms full, especially in low crowd times.

Sort of makes me wonder if they are planning to "motivate" people in a different way this year........

Fastpass+. Cough. Cough. Fastpass+. Cough. Cough.

The latest rumor is that regular FP will go away when people enroll in FP+.

Things, they are a'changin.
I had only heard someone doing FP+ wouldn't be able to participate in regular FP. It's one or the other. Never heard of FP going away entirely.

aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #144
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post

I had only heard someone doing FP+ wouldn't be able to participate in regular FP. It's one or the other. Never heard of FP going away entirely.
Nobody knows. My own guess is that it will overlap for a while then likely go away. But as I said..... it's all guessing at this point.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #145
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Those that are unhappy need only to vote with your feet and stay offsite or vacation elsewhere. If Disney resorts are going unfilled, I would bet good discounts come back. We are staying at value rather than mod. This trip, but if discounts come out for our dates we will reconsider.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #146
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Here's why I'm using the word gouged. Our family typically stays at WDW Dec. 14th-28th. Last time we stayed at CSR in a waterview room with 10 day park hoppers and watermarks/more. There are myself, DW, and DS17. This package priced out at $4713 and we got FD. For us its $2k for flights and say $1500 spending money and various other costs so your at $8k in a hurry.

That pkg for 2013 now prices at $5749 and the promo that comes out tomorrow would save my family at least $1000 less than FD. So we are looking at an increase of $2000 or more to take the same vacation.

Poking around on the website it seems that they have changed the days of value and peak seasons. So we used to get value season price the first week before going to holiday season pricing the second week. Now we would be paying peak season rates the first week and a price increase on rooms/ tickets as well.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #147
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here's why I'm using the word gouged. Our family typically stays at WDW Dec. 14th-28th. Last time we stayed at CSR in a waterview room with 10 day park hoppers and watermarks/more. There are myself, DW, and DS17. This package priced out at $4713 and we got FD. For us its $2k for flights and say $1500 spending money and various other costs so your at $8k in a hurry.

That pkg for 2013 now prices at $5749 and the promo that comes out tomorrow would save my family at least $1000 less than FD. So we are looking at an increase of $2000 or more to take the same vacation.

Poking around on the website it seems that they have changed the days of value and peak seasons. So we used to get value season price the first week before going to holiday season pricing the second week. Now we would be paying peak season rates the first week and a price increase on rooms/ tickets as well.
I will reiterate - you are not getting gouged, you don't seem to know the meaning of that word.

Price Gouging - pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available, usually in reference to necessities.

You have lots of other retailers you can go to, if Disney continues to be a viable company while charging these rates, they are in fact market rates.

My wife and I went last year on our honey moon during peak prices, we are going again in May this year during regular season prices.

Both times it was/will be a lot of money, but we are willing to pay it for "Disney" Next year, we might go somewhere else, and pay much less. But its not gouging, its getting the most they can from the market, or at least, attempting to.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #148
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwater View Post
Unfortunately for our family we are being price "gouged" because #1 our calendar and work obligations cause us to go during a time they consider a "Holiday" and #2 they are counting on the new Fantasyland to draw bigger crowds. With a 14 year old girl and 11 year old boy, we really don't even plan on visiting the new Fantasyland.
Sorry no "gouging" going on here. "Holiday" pricing has always been there.They didn't just start it to GOUGE you. Holidays -summer-spring break all gonna be higher! This should not be a surprise unless you are planning your 1st vacation. Not really sure why you're going if your kids aren't interested in something like the new Fantasyland but guess to each their own Regardless of whether you want to visit Fantasyland or not MILLIONS of others are really excited about seeing it ! Disney knows this and is not going to give it away . They spend millions building these things for us to see and come back again and again. I love it ! That's why they get my $$ quality and new products all the time . Hope your schedule changes someday so you can visit during off seasons and enjoy the lower pricing and the lower crowds. lot's of Fun.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #149
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
I will reiterate - you are not getting gouged, you don't seem to know the meaning of that word.

Price Gouging - pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available, usually in reference to necessities.

You have lots of other retailers you can go to, if Disney continues to be a viable company while charging these rates, they are in fact market rates.

My wife and I went last year on our honey moon during peak prices, we are going again in May this year during regular season prices.

Both times it was/will be a lot of money, but we are willing to pay it for "Disney" Next year, we might go somewhere else, and pay much less. But its not gouging, its getting the most they can from the market, or at least, attempting to.
Everything in your post is stuff I have already posted previously. I manage a successful multi-million dollar company I don't need you to explain supply and demand to me. Focusing on my use of the word gouge is just starting an argument for the sake of arguing.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #150
olecow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you read my posts you would know I can afford to go. I refused to be gouged. This debate isn't about people that can't afford the prices, it's about people that can, but are smart enough not to allow Disney to gouge them with uncompetitive pricing.
I'm aware that you can afford to go. If you choose not to that's fine. I just don't get the thinking that "I really hope Disney suffers because I don't want to pay their prices." It doesn't make sense to me. And I wan't singling out your posts.

By the way, nice subtle shot that somehow I and others are dumb because we'll pay rack rate. I'm really glad I'm too dumb to avoid being gouged. My family has a wonderful time at Disney whenever we go. I hope everyone enjoys their future vacations, no matter where they are (or how much they spend).
olecow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: