Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #26
Future Au.D.
bellebookworm9's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,063

January 26th, 2012

Thursday was a planned day for rope drop at Hollywood Studios, and Casey was coming with me. We caught a bus that got us there just before 8:30, and the crowd at the turnstiles wasn't too huge.

As expected, they opened the turnstiles at 8:45 and we headed in to the park, expecting to see the rope and experience the little opening show...except there was no rope. So we looked at each other and then power walked to Toy Story Mania, where, to our delight, we saw that the FPs were for 9:30, so we grabbed those before getting in line. There was only a 5 minute wait (really, a walk on) but this was also at 8:50.

I was yellow, Casey was green. When we got off, we checked the standby again, but there was no indication of time, so we got back in line, thinking it would be a short wait. It moved steadily, but was about 20 minutes.

I think the queue is just so awesome! I didn't even mind the wait, because I got to look at all the cool stuff. And we both improved our scores this time around. Once again, I'm yellow and Casey's green.
It was around 9:30 now and our FPs were good, but we decided we'd use them later and move on for now. Voyage of the Little Mermaid was starting soon, so we got in line for that. Casey warned me that it was kind of a strange show and that the whole movie is crammed into 15 minutes. I thought these items in the holding room were cool.

And here are some photos from the show.

It was a bit of a bizarre show-especially the video montage that crammed about 80% of the movie into about 3 minutes or less. But I'm glad I finally got to try it! After that we headed down Sunset Boulevard to Tower of Terror to get a FP, then on to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Single rider line was closed and the stand by line was only 20 minutes, so we got in line. Over the first two weeks, I went through the stand by lines for Space Mountain, Soarin', Test Track, and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster for the first time!

Upon boarding our limo, I was a little nervous. Casey told me I had to keep my eyes open for the launch because it's much better that way. We launched and I did keep my eyes open; the whole ride was less intense than I remembered, and I'll take that one over Space Mountain any day! We stopped at a bathroom and then went to use our ToT FPs. I love FP so much because we were able to walk right into the library, and then had a short wait for our elevator. I was freaking out a little bit before we started dropping, but once again, it's never as bad as I think it's going to be.

Beauty and the Beast was going to start at 11:30 and it was about 11:15, but I needed a snack and Casey was hungry too. We stopped at Anaheim Produce and I got a pretzel and she got apple slices with caramel dip. Then we headed over to the Theater of the Stars just a few minutes before the show started. We were seated towards the top on the right facing the stage. I tried to take a few pictures but we weren't in the best location, so I stopped, but here are a couple.

Oh I just love that show! And Beauty and the Beast is Casey's favorite musical ever, so she loves it too. Now it was around noon and we had done almost everything we wanted to, so we walked back to Toy Story Mania. When we showed the CM our FPs (window from 9:30-10:30) he said, "You know you're really late". I have no idea if he was kidding or not, but Casey and I both said that we know they are valid all day, and he let us through. (This was before they started enforcing return windows.) There was literally no wait until we got to grouping, where we're pretty sure a new CP was being trained because he kind of forgot about us and was only taking people from the stand by line. But after a few minutes we were on our way. This time I was green and Casey was yellow.

My last request for the day was to go to Writer's Stop and get a carrot cake cookie. So that's where we went, and Casey got a gingerbread Mickey.

The cookie was so much bigger than I was expecting! And it was heavy! But oh so good. I only ate half, and I'm a little ashamed to admit I had the other half for breakfast the next day. Casey also enjoyed her gingerbread. There was a bus coming soon, so we headed out and saw that it was at the stop, in the charter lot. But of course there are fences and cross walks so we were running, hoping the driver wouldn't leave...and thankfully he didn't, but that was our exercise for the day!

The cookie was so much bigger than I was expecting! And it was heavy! But oh so good. I only ate half, and I'm a little ashamed to admit I had the other half for breakfast today. Casey also enjoyed her gingerbread. There was a bus coming soon, so we headed out and saw that it was at the stop, in the charter lot. But of course there are fences and cross walks so we were running, hoping the driver wouldn't leave...and thankfully he didn't but that was our exercise for the day!

Upon returning to the apartment, I took a nap and Casey went to WalMart. Then we decided to head out to Magic Kingdom and catch the 5pm bus. We didn't realize that their was an International College Program (ICP) graduation, but coming out of Chatham there were a ton of people dressed up and wearing graduation mouse ears. And of course they all got on our bus. Plus it was rush hour, which we didn't think about (it's Disney, who can be bothered with such mundane things?) and therefore the bus got stuck in the I-Drive/535/536 traffic (if you've ever experienced it, you know how bad it can be). Thankfully a lot of the ICPs got off at Vista, and then we continued on to MK-once we hit Disney property the traffic wasn't nearly as bad. We took the monorail from the TTC and entered the park, deciding to do a circle.

One of our neighbors and another friend of Casey's both worked at the Tomorrowland Speedway, so we went over there to see if they were greeting, but they weren't. The line was 30 minutes, but that was longer than we wanted to wait, so we headed into Fantasyland. Pooh: 40 minutes. Snow White: 15 minutes. We got in line and it was more like 5 minutes. Continuing on, Peter Pan: 40 minutes. it's a small world: 5 minutes. Let's go! We basically walked on.

Since I didn't get to eat at Columbia Harbour House a few nights earlier and Casey enjoys it as well, we decided to go there for dinner...only to find that it closed at 5. We had already passed Pinocchio's so it seemed like our next option was Pecos Bill's. Ugh. So in we went...to find that only two registers were open and there was a humungous crowd of people. It seriously took like 15 minutes to get up to the order podium. Then the CMs distributing the food were very confused. A lot of the sections were already roped off for the night, but we did manage to find an empty table...with ketchup smeared on it. Gross. The pulled pork sandwich was just okay, and the fries were gross-limp, but not cold.

After that disaster, we walked over to Splash Mountain to find a 5 minute wait. While it wasn't chilly, it wasn't 80 degrees anymore either, but we got on anyway and ended up in the back row. There was a logjam (pun intended) several times throughout the ride, which quickly got annoying. As we descended the first small drop, we decided this was probably a bad idea and prayed we would stay dry. Casey did get a little wet on one of the small drops, but because ducked and covered on the big one, we did stay mostly dry! When we exited and saw the ride photo, you couldn't even see us because we had leaned forward so far!

Casey wanted to walk by Pirates to see if anyone she knew was working and to find out why it had been down all day. Well, there was a safety issue that required half of the ride to be drained for it to be fixed-not cool. It was quickly nearing 7:45 and The Magic, The Memories, and You would be starting at any moment-Casey's favorite Disney show and something I'd never seen. We ran to Main Street and grabbed a spot just as it began. I really liked it and thought it was awesome. Between it and Wishes we got Mickey ice cream bars/sandwiches from a nearby cart and then reclaimed our spots. I put my earplugs in and we watched Wishes-first time this trip watching from inside the park and my first time ever watching it from the Hub area. It was so awesome! Wishes comes in second only to IllumiNations as my favorite fireworks show.

Knowing that the crush of people would soon begin, I turned and began heading for Casey's Corner to go through the stores and out to Town Square. Casey didn't know the restaurant connected to the stores, but was pleased to find out it did when it helped us avoid the huge crowds. We decided to take the ferry boat back to the TTC, which seemed like a good idea until we saw all the mosquitoes everywhere. We braved them and soon we were back at the bus lot, waiting for our bus. They sent out a fifth bus that doesn't normally run to pick us up; they must have known the ICP graduation was that day, along with the fact that new CPs had just arrived.

We arrived home shortly before 9:30 and headed to bed by 10:30.
*1992-Offsite *1994-Offsite *2/15-20, 2007-All Star Music *5/17-28, 2010-Kidani Village @ AKL Dining *10/7-11, 2011-Beach Club Villas Dining *1/10-11, 2012-Old Key West *1/2012-10/2013 WDWCP/Seasonal CM at Epcot Main Entrance *2/9-12, 2012-Coronado Springs *5/10-5/11, 2012-All Star Music Four Months of Disney Dining *5/22-26,2012-All Star Sports *5/26-27, 2012-Port Orleans French Quarter *12/17-21, 2012-Wilderness Lodge *5/7-10, 2013-Pop Century *7/24-30, 2013-Art of Animation *1/6-10, 2014 -Art of Animation *3/25-29, 2014-All Star Movies *3/29-30, 2014-Boardwalk Villas *5/18-23, 2014-Paradise Pier *8/13-18, 2014-Caribbean Beach *8/18-19, 2014-Grand Floridian Trip Report & Dining *12/14-19, 2014-Port Orleans French Quarter (TR in Progress) Dining *3/17-23, 2015-Saratoga Springs-*10/9-13, 2015-Old Key West

bellebookworm9 is offline  

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: