Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #1876
famouschinesec
Mouseketeer

Talking Amtrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesyB View Post
Can anyone tell me: if I book 2 tickets + car now and then decide to add two more tickets (additional passengers), can I just add those tickets without a car?

TIA
I swear I replied to this yesterday, so here goes again. I would call Amtrak and ask. I would probably also book 4 tickets to protect against price increases. So long as you aren't "ticketed" you can always cancel 2 seats; but if you wait to book the additional 2 seats and the price goes up; that is the price you will pay.
famouschinesec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #1877
bdcp
DIS Veteran

We just booked today for our Nov trip. Roomette on the way down and coach on the way back. We love the bedroom, but it was $444 south and $307 north. Roomette was only $136. I know if you've read my posts before that I said never again to a roomette, but we decided to just try it again. We know now what will fit and how we will fit. We're gonna think about booking a roomette on the return when we check in for return trip. They usually have some rooms especially heading north in the fall. This will be our 5th AT trip. I really enjoy it. DH is "okay" with it, but we love being able to bring so much. We're doing a couple of days in Fort Lauderdale/Miami, then a 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise, then another day in FFL/Miami, then 4 days in WDW and then returning home. We're staying at SOG again so that's already booked too.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #1878
Cuddlemama
Mouseketeer

Can you folks tell me if there will be anything safe to feed my gluten free child on the Autotrain? I plan to pack a bag of food since I never go anywhere without safe food, but it would be cool to know if Amtrak provides anything gf at meals.
Cuddlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #1879
Selket
Yes I AM being whiney about not getting a postcard!
I will measure, nest, lift and squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlemama View Post
Can you folks tell me if there will be anything safe to feed my gluten free child on the Autotrain? I plan to pack a bag of food since I never go anywhere without safe food, but it would be cool to know if Amtrak provides anything gf at meals.
I think on the Amtrak site I found a menu for the auto train and I noticed it had some items listed as gluten free - with some warning that they don't guarantee it. Perhaps try googling for the menu or look at the amtrak site?

*** updated to add - Here's the menu I saw: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/891/337/...enu-201212.pdf
Universal: HRH, 2010

Last edited by Selket; 01-06-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Selket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #1880
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
We just booked today for our Nov trip. Roomette on the way down and coach on the way back. We love the bedroom, but it was $444 south and $307 north. Roomette was only $136. I know if you've read my posts before that I said never again to a roomette, but we decided to just try it again. We know now what will fit and how we will fit. We're gonna think about booking a roomette on the return when we check in for return trip. They usually have some rooms especially heading north in the fall. This will be our 5th AT trip. I really enjoy it. DH is "okay" with it, but we love being able to bring so much. We're doing a couple of days in Fort Lauderdale/Miami, then a 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise, then another day in FFL/Miami, then 4 days in WDW and then returning home. We're staying at SOG again so that's already booked too.
Just curious, what are your dates? I booked for Nov 28th southbound and got the family bedroom for $200-something. Thought that was a great price.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #1881
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Just curious, what are your dates? I booked for Nov 28th southbound and got the family bedroom for $200-something. Thought that was a great price.
Just checked my date again and see that it went up to $360 since I bought it...
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #1882
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Family bedroom is cheaper than the regular bedroom. It's just DH and I so we want the regular bedroom. We're going south Oct 31 and returning two weeks later.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #1883
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

I think that's surprising to most people, that the family bedroom which is so much larger than the regular bedroom, is almost always less expensive because it doesn't have all the facilities of the regular bedroom.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #1884
lindap1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just checked my date again and see that it went up to $360 since I bought it...
The lady at Amtrak told me that as the demand for the rooms become more...the price goes up. So you got the first one for your time period as did I. I called back 10 minutes later after getting the family bedroom for $260 and the price had jumped up to $360
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #1885
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Family bedroom is cheaper than the regular bedroom. It's just DH and I so we want the regular bedroom. We're going south Oct 31 and returning two weeks later.
Oh, that's a great time to go!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #1886
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954 View Post
I think that's surprising to most people, that the family bedroom which is so much larger than the regular bedroom, is almost always less expensive because it doesn't have all the facilities of the regular bedroom.
Yeah, it doesn't have the bath and shower......I'm glad it's cheaper but bigger!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #1887
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindap1 View Post
The lady at Amtrak told me that as the demand for the rooms become more...the price goes up. So you got the first one for your time period as did I. I called back 10 minutes later after getting the family bedroom for $260 and the price had jumped up to $360
Yeah, they must only have a room or two at the cheap price, bc it goes quickly!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #1888
TreesyB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouschinesec View Post
I swear I replied to this yesterday, so here goes again. I would call Amtrak and ask. I would probably also book 4 tickets to protect against price increases. So long as you aren't "ticketed" you can always cancel 2 seats; but if you wait to book the additional 2 seats and the price goes up; that is the price you will pay.
Thanks for this. That's good to know, because my next question was what about if I booked now and cancelled later. However, if I cancel later, I don't get a refund, do I?
BCV - 2011 New Years
OKW/SSR-2010 New YearsBoardwalk Villas 2009 just one night
SSR-2008 Xmas BCV -2008 - F&W
BCV/SSR -2008 - NYE! BCV -2007 - so amazing!
SSR-2007 x3 - so awesome! Contemporary Resort -2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2003
TreesyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #1889
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesyB View Post
Thanks for this. That's good to know, because my next question was what about if I booked now and cancelled later. However, if I cancel later, I don't get a refund, do I?
Amtrak started a new refund policy, so go to their site to see it.

In general, you can get a full refund as a credit to use at Amtrak within 1 year. If you want the cash instead they will keep 10% or $100 (check for exact number) and give you the rest.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #1890
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, that's a great time to go!
I was just reading your trip report from I think 2011. Anyway, noticed you live in "the Farm". LOL, we lived there (near Stone Bridge HS) from '95-'03. We now live near Brambleton, still in Ashburn, barely
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: